Wal Mart

Lounge By LelekBolek Updated 19 Oct 2015 , 10:18pm by RobertBarnett

LelekBolek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LelekBolek Posted 18 Oct 2015 , 9:57pm
post #1 of 12

562415d52dd64.jpeg today at an apple market. Thought some of you would appreciate.  :-)

Oops. Sorry. Not sure why sideways.

11 replies
Jedi Knight Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jedi Knight Posted 18 Oct 2015 , 10:28pm
post #2 of 12

Agree!!!!

Jinkies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jinkies Posted 18 Oct 2015 , 10:32pm
post #3 of 12

Hmmmm, we have to adapt that to the cake biz.

I delivered a cake to a client yesterday that called me to say she was running late at work.  She works at a grocery store bakery.  Made me a little happy :)

LelekBolek Posted 19 Oct 2015 , 10:35am
post #4 of 12

Right? 

jinkies, that's pretty neat :-). I am sure she knows the difference, and that sometimes, a cake is not just the cake. I had a client tell me my cake made the recipient feel very special. That's nice to hear, that people sometimes acknowledge the difference, and appreciate the crafted VS mass-produced. 

Webake2gether Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Webake2gether Posted 19 Oct 2015 , 1:27pm
post #5 of 12

The lady that works in the floral department at one of our local Kroger stores actually has people ask her if she knows anyone who does cakes and they have a bakery that shows me that not everyone likes store cakes like that so she said she'd love to hand out our cards to those who ask. We've gotten to know her really well she loves my 2 sons so everytime we go in they have to see Susan lol. I thought it was interesting that even though she worked there she didn't recommend people to the stores bakery but there are people who appreciate quality thank goodness :) we bought our apples at a local orchard and they were delicious so sad that the apple picking season is over here in the Midwest. 

littlejewel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlejewel Posted 19 Oct 2015 , 2:54pm
post #6 of 12

cute and creative of them. The taste of apples straight from the tree is so delicious.  To me grocery store apples taste like solidified water. Jinkies and Webaketogether I love hearing that some appreciates your baking and decorating.

craftybanana2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana2 Posted 19 Oct 2015 , 7:05pm
post #7 of 12

Gotta be careful when you don't live in apple country and see them at farmer's markets though. I've heard people buying produce at Wally world then reselling it at farmer's markets.

It's kinda like people down here selling Georgia peaches on the side of the road. Georgia is 5 hours from here if you don't stop for the bathroom. I highly doubt some of them are actually from Georgia.

*Last edited by craftybanana2 on 19 Oct 2015 , 7:06pm
craftybanana2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana2 Posted 19 Oct 2015 , 7:09pm
post #8 of 12

I agree with littlejewel, I've stopped buying strawberries unless they are local (Florida) because all our California strawberries taste like water. The flavor was breed out of those giant strawberries in favor or size and color. i can't wait for our strawberry festival! :)

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 19 Oct 2015 , 8:23pm
post #9 of 12

craftybanana2, I am fortunate to live in the same county where many strawberries are grown locally.  When you get to buy them within hours of being picked---- ahhhhh.........   Unfortunately, strawberries are not good for shipping long distances. 

I do a lot of chocolate covered strawberries as gifts since I can buy beautiful berries at low prices locally.  It's the most impressive thing I can bring or give to someone, waaaay more impressive than cake, but takes far less time and money and effort.

I've only got a 24 hour window between buying, cleaning, drying, dipping, putting together in pretty presentation wrapping/packages before delivery.  I always tell the recipients these must be consumed within 12 hours for best taste.  To date, that hasn't been a problem.  Chocolate dipped berries disappear faster than $20 bills falling from the sky.

https://christinascakes.shutterfly.com/pictures/407  

https://christinascakes.shutterfly.com/pictures/407#334 

https://christinascakes.shutterfly.com/pictures/407#333

LelekBolek Posted 19 Oct 2015 , 8:43pm
post #10 of 12

We live in an apple state - VA, so the orchards are popular places this time a year, and you can be sure you are getting local and fresh, and just off the vine. Or pick them yourself, to be even surerer. :-) Some grocery store chains buy from local farms and sell at their stores. From now, through about December, I love the apples. When orchards are closed for business, I can still get decent stuff at the store. But then the apples get so plastic and watery, and tasteless, I can't stand it. So I often switch to tropical fruit in winter, until it is berry season, then peach and watermelon season, then apple season ))). 

My kids absolutely love apples, so we always make sure to head out to the farmlands, to get quite a few this time of year.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 19 Oct 2015 , 9:47pm
post #11 of 12

Unfortunately, the weather here is perfect for strawberries, but absolutely awful for apples.  Years ago I was at a KOA Kampground in Washington state and they had a grove of apples in the campground and you could just pick your own.  Best apples EVER.

RobertBarnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RobertBarnett Posted 19 Oct 2015 , 10:18pm
post #12 of 12

I started doing cakes from home when I was 14, I made all of my own decorations. But at that time people balked at spending $75 to $100 for a Birthday cake. So I stopped. I am just now getting back in to it, you could say I am sanding off my rusty flower nail.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%