Calling All Decorators! What Would You Like To See In A Cake Decorating Ebook?

Decorating By RosiesDS Updated 2 Sep 2015 , 2:57pm by Shockolata

RosiesDS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RosiesDS Posted 1 Sep 2015 , 10:15am
post #1 of 5

Hey guys, I'm wondering if you can help me out with some brainstorming: What does one include in a cake decorating eBook? What are the things that you would look for or be most interested in when deciding on downloading a free cake decorating eBook? Thanks for your help!!! :) 

4 replies
Brookebakescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brookebakescake Posted 1 Sep 2015 , 1:31pm
post #2 of 5

Hello! I'll be honest, for me to download something, it would have to be on a very specific topic, or something incredibly useful that I've never seen before.  The fact that it's free would help, but what with the overwhelming amount of information all over these days, I don't feel I need to take up valuable space on my phone or computer when I can probably Google search or find it on Pinterest.

but that's just me :)  Id say make it unique, informative, and appealing!

prettycupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycupcake Posted 1 Sep 2015 , 1:41pm
post #3 of 5

I have to agree with Brookebakescakes. There is allot of information on the web that doesn't require a download. I for one wouldn't download it. I just never have before.

That being said, if i were to, I would be interested in new techniques. like adding different textures to fondant without having to buy special tools. Making flowers with the cutters you currently own I find cakers usually don't want to fork out a fortune for new supplies. Caking supplies are pricey as is. 

Hope this helps! 

Heidi 

Webake2gether Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Webake2gether Posted 1 Sep 2015 , 1:44pm
post #4 of 5

I agree with brookebakescake I don't usually download Ebooks. I google or use YouTube for videos. I can't even tell you the last time I read a book whether Ebook or an actual book (other than the homeschool books I use to teach my kids lol). For me a book that is an easy read straight to the point and informative on a specific topic works best for me. Once I start skimming pages I lose interest very fast. I love to read but do most of my reading in article form. Hope that helps :)

Shockolata Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shockolata Posted 2 Sep 2015 , 2:57pm
post #5 of 5

I would be very interested in a free ebook that contained printable templates, e.g. for a fairy or a footballer, nicely measured so the end product will not look as if it has a tiny head and huge legs for example. You could include some recipes for buttercream and fondant and maybe a colouring guide that is easy to refer to. Advice on how to use new mediums such as wafer/rice paper and where to buy stuff to use that is not necessarily marketed to bakers (e.g. you can use craft cutters and embossers). We can of course find information online, on youtube and on bakers' blogs but it is still nice to have something solid to refer to without having to visit a hundred different URLs. Writing a free e-book will be great practice for a future book and you know how expensive baking books are! Build a customer base with this freebie and you'll have people to market your paid book later. Your target audience is not clued in bakers such as in CC. It is people who aspire to make a presentable cake but are not sure where to begin and do not want a huge outlay whilst they practice. Do it! Don't hesitate! Once you have written it, proof read it and give it to others to proof read. Don't put anything out that hasn't been combed with a fine tooth comb or recipes that people unrelated to you have tested in their kitchens and given their seal of approval as to the accuracy and clarity of instructions. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%