Imbc Has Air Bubbles

Decorating By pearlg Updated 28 Aug 2015 , 7:57pm by pearlg

pearlg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pearlg Posted 27 Aug 2015 , 10:57pm
post #1 of 9

Hello

made Italian Meringue butter cream twice this week. Both times had loads of air bubbles which made it impossible to smoothen. Is there a way to avoid this? Is there a way to remedy this if it happens again.? I don't remember this happening before, only difference is that I used liquid egg whites, I don't think it is to blame. Taste and texture were okay, just too many tiny air bubbles.

Thanks for your responses

8 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 27 Aug 2015 , 11:16pm
post #2 of 9

idk -- air bubbles happen -- but when you smooth draw your spatula back the other way too and even smooth up the sides of the tier if need be -- most of them should disappear--

if you stir the icing before smoothing it will help -- adding hot water to that also helps--

if you take it blob by blob and smooth it all over the clean counter top or the back of a sheet tray or where you have a flat surface you can force most of them out --

best

pearlg Posted 27 Aug 2015 , 11:23pm
post #3 of 9

Thank you k8memphis, I will try this next time. 

Amps.prkns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amps.prkns Posted 27 Aug 2015 , 11:34pm
post #4 of 9

Use your paddle attachment to push the buttercream against the mixing bowl and it will help with some air bubbles. Do it at a low speed. 

pearlg Posted 28 Aug 2015 , 12:20am
post #5 of 9

Thank you Amps,prkns

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 28 Aug 2015 , 11:46am
post #6 of 9

Best tool for making sure your icing is smooth is nothing but an old fashioned, two beater style stand mixer.  I've got several Sunbeam Mixmaster stand mixers at my disposal.  While I make my icing in a commercial sized mixer, when I'm ready to use it I rebeat a bowl full on the LOWEST speed of the stand mixer, scraping the bowl several times, until it's as smooth as silk without a trace of an air bubble to be found.

*Last edited by Jeff_Arnett on 28 Aug 2015 , 11:47am
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 28 Aug 2015 , 3:47pm
post #7 of 9

and to add a particle to jeff's sage advice -- because the top of the  beaters are lower than the surface of the icing and the air is just forced out

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 28 Aug 2015 , 4:43pm
post #8 of 9

Good point....I swear by my old stand mixers...and dread the day they finally stop making them!  I even search on eBay every once in a while just to see what's out there.  Some of the older models from the 50's through the 70's were workhorses much like the old Kitchen Aids were....now days they contain lots of plastic gears and parts that really don't stand up so well.

pearlg Posted 28 Aug 2015 , 7:57pm
post #9 of 9

Thank you so much, I have a two beater hand mixer and will try that as well.

thanks Jeff

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%