Just Another Wedding Cake ==

Decorating By kitty27102008 Updated 19 Aug 2015 , 4:51pm by julia1812

kitty27102008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kitty27102008 Posted 19 Aug 2015 , 11:32am
post #1 of 7

Hi, Im gonna make a wedding cake for my closest friend in..well a quite long time, but i wanna plan it early. We would make a traditional 3-tier cake. However, we didnt like the typical 4'' high cake tiers we ordered for her mom's wedding cuz the whole cake looked rather short and unimpressive.  So we decide, it should be a 3 double-barrel tier cake, each tier will be 8'' tallkissing.png. It sounds easy, until i realize i cant find a right way to stack itfrowning.png. I dont know if i should put dowels between the double barrel cakes? How many dowels should there be? If this cake is too much, its gonna collapse? Please help >< my cake would be 6-8-10'' or 8-10-12'' 

6 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 19 Aug 2015 , 12:22pm
post #2 of 7

to clear that up for you, it's not really a three tier cake it's a six tier cake and you need all the plates and dowel every 4-5 inches as usual

best to you

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 19 Aug 2015 , 12:31pm
post #3 of 7

I'd do a mock up first from styrofoam or boxes or something...cakes that tall but that small in diameter might look equally odd.

As to stacking, to build the DB cakes, you build one, dowel, place the second on top on a board cut to fit, then ice.  Since you are going to be stacking other cakes on top, I'd use something more sturdy than cardboard within the DB cakes...a plastic separator plate or a masonite circle.  If you use cardboard, the dowels you put in the upper cake of the DB could push through the cardboard when the next tier is stacked on and not give you enough support.

*Last edited by Jeff_Arnett on 19 Aug 2015 , 12:32pm
-K8memphis Posted 19 Aug 2015 , 4:35pm
post #4 of 7

and it needs to be just exactly the right size too small a little bit so it doesn't show through or get 'pressed' into action when smoothing icing/fondant if you're doing all that

-K8memphis Posted 19 Aug 2015 , 4:44pm
post #5 of 7

i think the double tiered cakes might look better with a 3" difference between tiers if all of them are doubled -- it could look very rocket ship like jeff was thinking if you're not careful -- you'll have a cake more than twice as tall as the base and this doubling your servings too -- you could do a short middle tier too for contrast

-K8memphis Posted 19 Aug 2015 , 4:46pm
post #6 of 7

*post 4 is in reference to the plate or board in the middle of the same size double tiers--

sorry about the boldened type -- it's this dang uncooperative tablet no no no no not pilot error :)

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 19 Aug 2015 , 4:51pm
post #7 of 7

I think three double tiers does look equally "boring". I would rather do a 10" or 12" (4-5" tall) with a double 8" (4"high) on top and then some spectacular topper. 

Or 12" (4") - 9" (8") - 6" (4") or something like that. ..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%