Gold Spray

Decorating By Jenny BakesAlot Updated 26 Jul 2015 , 3:00pm by Jenny BakesAlot

Jenny BakesAlot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenny BakesAlot Posted 25 Jul 2015 , 1:44pm
post #1 of 4

I don't have an airbush.  I need to spray white buttercream rosettes gold.  Something like this.  I've tried the gold Wilton spray and the Duff Goldman spray.  They both look yellowish and don't have 55b392cd12eb9.jpegmuch sheen to them.  Does anyone know of a better gold spray in a can?  I've read a ton of posts on here but can't seem to find the answer I'm hoping for.  

3 replies
SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 25 Jul 2015 , 4:11pm
post #2 of 4

I had heard that the Wilton Metallic gold spray worked well but from your experience, I guess not.

If you cannot find another spray and have the time and energy - try either dry brushing with a large powder or blush make up brush that wasn't used for anything else and has been washed and dried or little sponge makeup applicator wedges - a metallic gold or antique gold lustre dust. Or mix with a bit of vodka or oil based flavouring and paint it on. 

I have done this on set crusting buttercream and it works. Maybe not as well as airbrushing but ...You could soray fiest with the Wilton spray and then try the lustre dust.

KellyKSD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KellyKSD Posted 26 Jul 2015 , 2:18pm
post #3 of 4

I did a silver cake and used the Duff cake graffiti spray in silver. I thought it had a nice metallic sheen, but because I wanted a little more sparkle, I went over it with some edible silver dust (not sure of the brand, sorry). I imagine you could accomplish the same with gold spray/dust. If you feel like it's coming out too yellow, maybe a dusting of a cooler-toned luster dust (with a platinum or slightly violet color) over the gold spray would tone down the yellow and give you the shine that you are looking for.

Jenny BakesAlot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenny BakesAlot Posted 26 Jul 2015 , 3:00pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you both for your replies. I guess I will have to try the luster dust. This woman is hoping to stay on the lower end in cost (aren't they all?), so I was hoping to avoid the extra work so as to not have to charge more for my time. But I guess that will be her choice. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%