Ruffle Icing

Decorating By fearlessbaker Updated 19 Jul 2015 , 9:59pm by fearlessbaker

fearlessbaker Posted 18 Jul 2015 , 6:05pm
post #1 of 10

is Italian Meringue or American icing better for horizontal ruffles on cake? Thanks

9 replies
SquirrellyCakes Posted 18 Jul 2015 , 6:41pm
post #2 of 10

Hi fearlessdbaker! Do you have a picture of what you mean by "horizontal ruffles"? Not sure if you are referring to the old way of piping ruffles or the more recent style referred to as ruffles

fearlessbaker Posted 18 Jul 2015 , 7:59pm
post #3 of 10

Hi Squirrely, Glad to see you here! I mean the newest rendition and going for the ombré look. 

SquirrellyCakes Posted 18 Jul 2015 , 9:52pm
post #4 of 10

Well a lot of people do it in American buttercream.  I know of a couple of people who have used Swiss Meringue Buttercream and generally if the weather is cool - you can do it in Italian Meringue Buttercream.

SquirrellyCakes Posted 19 Jul 2015 , 2:53am
post #5 of 10

Sorry, I was just called away as I was responding earlier. Glad to see you too. You were always one of my favourite people on the sites because you were always such a sweet natured and kind and gentle person - helpful, encouraging to others and respectful of others. Any time that you posted- regardless of the site- you just always come across as a positive soul. So often in life we miss the opportunities we have to tell a person that they have been a blessing. You are a blessing.

Back to your question - it might be a bit easier with American buttercream but it depends on how warm it is where you are and how comfortable you are with Italian Meringue Buttercream.  Guess that isn't a very definitive answer though, sorry. Hugs.

fearlessbaker Posted 19 Jul 2015 , 7:13am
post #6 of 10

Thank You Squirrely, And the same to you. I didn't think you were posting anywhere. Well. I love IMBC and can practically make it with my eyes closed. I think i will to make a batch of American just to see if I like it. Sharon Zambito's recipe calls for powdered creamer. I don't even know what that is. I think it must be a common thing and probably ez to find.

SquirrellyCakes Posted 19 Jul 2015 , 3:03pm
post #7 of 10

Powdered creamer usually refers to a product like "Coffeemate". It is an edible oil product that is dried- in powder form -  and is used as a replacement for cream in a cup of coffee. I have never made that recipe, let us know how it turns out.  It would be nice to see a picture of your ruffle cake. They are pretty regardless of if they are done with fondant or buttercream.

 No, I haven't posted anywhere in several years. An old cake buddy told me I was a paying "Premium Member" of a site which was interesting since I had not been on any site in about 8 years and have never paid to be a member anywhere.

Glad to see you are still baking and experimenting.

fearlessbaker Posted 19 Jul 2015 , 3:16pm
post #8 of 10

Ah Hah, Of course, I see that on the shelves. Thanks for jogging my memory.

Whiteflower1 Posted 19 Jul 2015 , 7:36pm
post #9 of 10

Definitely italian meringue, it is light enough to hold the shape and not weigh the sides down.

fearlessbaker Posted 19 Jul 2015 , 9:59pm
post #10 of 10

Italian meringue is my favorite. I needed a little confirmation. Thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%