Fondant Troubles

Decorating By jerlady Updated 8 Jul 2015 , 11:02pm by jerlady

jerlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jerlady Posted 8 Jul 2015 , 9:25pm
post #1 of 4

Hello cake world!  I have had this problem for awhile and am getting so frustrated that I thought I'd ask for help.  I live in a humid environment (KS) and always have more trouble in warmer weather with my fondant.

Lately it has been very porous and "crumbly" looking, for lack of a better word.  I notice that it is more of a problem when it it humid and I also notice that adding color makes it worse as well.

I make homemade marshmallow fondant (liz marek) and use Americolor gel (as most of my batches are smaller I color after it has already been made.

This is how it looks....No matter how much I knead.  Any suggestions on how to fix /prevent would be most appreciated...

3 replies
jerlady Posted 8 Jul 2015 , 9:30pm
post #2 of 4

I don't know how to attach a picture (haven't been on in awhile and it looks a bit difference.  If anyone knows, please instruct.  Thanks so much!

Jinkies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jinkies Posted 8 Jul 2015 , 9:55pm
post #3 of 4

Hi jerlady!  I use the same recipe and it took me a long time to figure out that I needed to adjust the water amount added to the marshmellows.  I only use 1 tablespoon in humid weather and 2 in the dry winter weather. 

I also found I was adding too much powdered sugar.  I don't need nearly the whole two pounds.

"crumbly" sounds dry, but you're having the issues with humidity and coloring so I would try decreasing your water and see if that helps.

It's one of those recipes that you really have to play with and not follow the exact measurements because the weather really does play into it.

Also, if you haven't already, watch her video for black fondant where she shows you how to stretch it like taffy.  That really does work.

jerlady Posted 8 Jul 2015 , 11:02pm
post #4 of 4

First of all, thank you SO much for the response!!  I guess crumbly isn't the best term because it isn't dry.  It just doesn't get the stretchy look,  and just not a smooth consistency at all.

I will try working with the amount of water.  That sounds like that may be the issue, as I've noticed it more when I add color.  Thanks again, I appreciate your time!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%