How Do I Attach Ribbon To A Square Buttercream Cake?

Decorating By mrsmyers0810 Updated 26 Apr 2016 , 4:04pm by fondantslinger

mrsmyers0810 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsmyers0810 Posted 19 Jun 2015 , 5:00am
post #1 of 8

Im making a 3 tier wedding cake that is square. The customer wants the ribbon that has a string of small pearls on the top and bottom with lace in the middle. I figured a little buttercream would attach it but it wont lay flat going around the corners on the square. Should i just cut it into pieces the length of each side or does anybody have any tricks to help it lay flat? Thanks in advance!

7 replies
Johnica10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Johnica10 Posted 19 Jun 2015 , 5:07am
post #2 of 8

I use edible glue to attach mine to fondant.  Works like a charm

Johnica10 Posted 19 Jun 2015 , 5:11am
post #3 of 8

Sorry i just realized you said it was a buttercream cake :-(

Johnica10 Posted 19 Jun 2015 , 5:11am
post #4 of 8

Sorry i just realized you said it was a buttercream cake :-(

ropalma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ropalma Posted 19 Jun 2015 , 3:43pm
post #5 of 8

Can you just cut through the pearl string without going through the lace.  I think what is not laying flat are the pearls.  if you break bond when you get to the corner I think the lace will hug the corner.  I am just visualizing since I do not have a picture of the lace.

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 20 Jun 2015 , 2:09am
post #6 of 8

If your corners are not perfectly straight, you'll get a gap when you round the corners....square corners can be a nightmare.  If it were fondant ribbon it would be no problem....but fabrics are not so forgiving.

Is there anything like flowers on the corners that could hide the fact that you have cut the ribbon into strips rather than it being continuous.

fondantslinger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantslinger Posted 26 Apr 2016 , 4:01pm
post #7 of 8

I just did a sculpted butter square butter cream I just start at the back an hold it taut an just go tightly without squeezing icing around...no problem. But you doing pearls an lace your gonna have to either cut out a few pearls unless it wraps evenly at the corner or add a flower or something like what was stated by others. That pearl is what is breaking up the corners.

Another thing I do on my fondant cakes round or square is I use double sided face sati. ribbons. I measure around my cake for the size I need using the ribbon itself to do this an when I have my size igather the ribbon up in my hand an hold it unfder warm water to 21st it (not soak it) but have it all 21st. Squeeze it out to rid excess water them wrap around my cakes. When it meets together at the back of my cake I'll Dan a drop of edible glue. It adheres beautifully after it dries into the cake an no clumpy glue dots are ever there to show if you use too much or don't smooth it out.  The fondant and the moist ribbon just take to each other flat tight and perfect. Hope it helps.

fondantslinger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantslinger Posted 26 Apr 2016 , 4:04pm
post #8 of 8

Sorry for mispelled an errors in words. My mobile likes to spell it's own words at times.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%