Falling Decorations

Decorating By cakesbykelsey3 Updated 8 Jun 2015 , 7:38pm by leah_s

cakesbykelsey3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbykelsey3 Posted 5 Jun 2015 , 11:30pm
post #1 of 10

Today I made a Sofia the First princess cake for a little girl's birthday party.  It's a purple fondant covered cake with purple drapery on top.  After the cake was completely finished, a few hours later a walk in to see that the drapery had fallen off of the cake...   I knew that the drapery was heavier, but I thought I had secured it to the fondant cake with buttercream.. Help please!  She's picking it up tomorrow!!!

9 replies
CakedNZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakedNZ Posted 6 Jun 2015 , 12:19am
post #2 of 10

Use royal icing instead, it holds a heck of a lot better  :) 

Jinkies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jinkies Posted 6 Jun 2015 , 12:46am
post #3 of 10

Buttercream will not hold fondant to fondant.  Any warmth and it will slide off.  Clean off the buttercream and use water or extract.  If you have edible glue or royal icing that will work too.

cakesbykelsey3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbykelsey3 Posted 7 Jun 2015 , 8:39pm
post #4 of 10

Ok thank you so much! Fixed it up and it made it through the night!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 7 Jun 2015 , 9:59pm
post #5 of 10

Melted candy melts work REALLY well for holding up heavier things on fondant cakes. It's like cement when it cools off and hardens.

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 8 Jun 2015 , 5:42am
post #6 of 10

Quote by @costumeczar on 7 hours ago

Melted candy melts work REALLY well for holding up heavier things on fondant cakes. It's like cement when it cools off and hardens.

I was going to write that - it's my latest "glue", it's brilliant.

Jinkies Posted 8 Jun 2015 , 12:06pm
post #7 of 10

Yes!  I love the white candy melts for glue.  You can even tint them to match anything.  Great to keep on hand.  I forgot about that one.

SandraDee73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraDee73 Posted 8 Jun 2015 , 6:00pm
post #8 of 10

I'm curious about the candy melts. Obviously you need to melt them down. How long does it stay warm enough to use as a glue? Do you pipe it or do you sort of leave it in a pot melting and dip a brush into it?

Jinkies Posted 8 Jun 2015 , 7:31pm
post #9 of 10

You can do either.  If you use a piping bag, you can just put it in the microwave to re-warm them.  You can also use one of those little mini crock pots.  I usually just melt them in a bowl in the microwave and use a toothpick or a pop stick to apply it.  I think it's just as good as a "glue" as royal icing and if you only need a dab, you can just melt 1 little candy melt. 

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 8 Jun 2015 , 7:38pm
post #10 of 10

You can use a heating pad to keep the chocolate warm. Just lay the piping bag on the heating pad.  I generally just microwave it in a small bowl, though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%