Dress Pull Apart Cupcake Cake

Decorating By HotPink_LipGloss Updated 27 May 2015 , 9:25pm by HotPink_LipGloss

HotPink_LipGloss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HotPink_LipGloss Posted 27 May 2015 , 12:57am
post #1 of 5

Hi. A friend of mine is having a tea themed baby shower a couple weeks from now. She wanted a pull apart cupcake cake but tea related. Together we thought of doing the cupcake dress which I have done before but adding a hat made out of fondant and rice krispy treats resting on the top/head of the dress and an actual 3d tea cup w/ plate made with a chocolate mold on the side of the dress. The problem is her colors are pastel purple, pastel green, and gray. I don't know how to make this color scheme work cohesively with all these elements. The dress must also have a belt w/ bow, pearl necklace,  and the hat a bow on it the same as the belt. I don't know what color to make what. I don't want it to look like mardi gras. My mind is going nuts trying to figure out how to make these 3 colors work. Any advice would be very appreciated. Thank you.

4 replies
SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 27 May 2015 , 12:48pm
post #2 of 5

The grey is the problem. Personally I would try to make it the colour used the least. So maybe have  the background colour of the dress be mauve. Make the belt with bow and hat with bow, grey with mauve flowers with green leaves. I likely would highlight the grey with silver lustre dusts if she is in agreement.

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 27 May 2015 , 3:14pm
post #3 of 5

You could make the dress have a zig zag design with all three colours or strips. Or you make the dress purple and have green and grey polkadots. 

Webake2gether Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Webake2gether Posted 27 May 2015 , 3:31pm
post #4 of 5

Here is a dress cupcake cake I did for a family member of my husband in December ( my first cupcake cake that I did) I did two shades of blue so what I was thinking you could do (bare with me as I try explain this lol) possibly do purple as the dresses main color and accent the dress in either green or gray like I did with the lighter blue. Or just do the dress in all purple or all gray and having a purple belt and bow  and do the hat the same.  To me the green would be a great accent color on the tea cup.  I know it probably sounds funny but the green throws me off lol.  

http://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/i/3336292/elsa-cupcake-cake

i hope you post pictures I'd love to see what you come up with. 

HotPink_LipGloss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HotPink_LipGloss Posted 27 May 2015 , 9:25pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you all for your help! I'm going to make some more sketches with color pencils with your ideas and see how all that will look. I've never had a color scheme stomp me this way but I definitely asked the right people. I'll post my finished product when I'm done too :-). She actually wants 2 of these cakes so I may end up using all your suggestions :-).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%