Butter Cream / Dirty Ice Recipes????!

Decorating By nidahscakes1998 Updated 28 May 2015 , 8:55am by nidahscakes1998

nidahscakes1998 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nidahscakes1998 Posted 25 May 2015 , 3:46pm
post #1 of 9

Hey there guys.I have only started newly baking and decorating cakes.

however I have 2 problems!

Firstly I do not know a decent recipe for butter cream or dirty ice that u put under the fondant. I make mine and it turns out runny ruining the cake. An body got any tips or a recipe for them?

Secondly my fondant is bumpy and not smooth when I lay it on the cake! It looks awful! Is this becuase as soon as I put the butter cream on I put the fondant on? Do I need to refrigerate it for a while and if so how long?

Thank you x

8 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 25 May 2015 , 5:57pm
post #2 of 9

Quote by @nidahscakes1998 on 2 hours ago

....I do not know a decent recipe for butter cream or dirty ice that u put under the fondant. I make mine and it turns out runny....Secondly my fondant is bumpy and not smooth when I lay it on the cake! It looks awful! Is this becuase as soon as I put the butter cream on I put the fondant on?......need to refrigerate it...if so how long?

Look in the recipe section for a recipe "2 of everything icing".  It is a great, easy buttercream.

"Dirty ice" is nothing more than your regular icing applied to your cake thinner than a 'final' coat.  It is called 'dirty' because you don't care if crumbs get into it.  It is also know as a crumb coat - yes! they are one and the same thing.

Fondant will be smooth on a cake when the cake and 'dirty icing' is applied smoothly.   Also be sure you are rolling it out nice and smooth - no bubbles or uneven areas.  You do NOT refrigerate a cake before applying fondant.  You need the icing to be 'wet' not dry so the fondant sticks to it.  Then you rub fondant smoothers over to take out any bumps that may be there.  The other problem could be 'bubbles' which is caused by air trapped under the fondant.  Use a pin to prick the underside of the fondant bubble and carefully push out the air.    

nidahscakes1998 Posted 25 May 2015 , 10:21pm
post #3 of 9

Thank you so much for the tips kakeladi!

So dirty ice is the same thing so has it got the same ingredients as any other filling say butter cream? X

CoinUK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoinUK Posted 25 May 2015 , 10:49pm
post #4 of 9

I'm far from an expert but "dirty ice" and "crumb coat" is more a description than a specific type of buttercream. I'ves American buttercream, Swiss Buttercream and Chocolate Ganache as a dirty ice for various cakes, to differing results. 

It's basically some you use to seal the crumbs in and give a much smoother and "stickier" surface that you apply your fondant to. What you use is a personal preference and differs depending on various conditions, such as the flavour cake, which buttercream you prefer, etc.

nidahscakes1998 Posted 25 May 2015 , 10:54pm
post #5 of 9

Ohhh okay! Thanks so much for clearing my confusion,  as u can probably tell im new to all this

CoinUK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoinUK Posted 25 May 2015 , 11:12pm
post #6 of 9

It's ok, so was I about 15 months ago :D

nidahscakes1998 Posted 26 May 2015 , 9:09am
post #7 of 9

Awe ye strated wen I was 15 so its been about 10 months. Really enjoy it as its very therapeutic x

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 27 May 2015 , 10:52pm
post #8 of 9

Quote by @CoinUK on 2 days ago

...."dirty ice" and "crumb coat" is more a description than a specific type of buttercream. I've used American buttercream, Swiss Buttercream and Chocolate Ganache as a dirty ice for various cakes, to differing results. 

It's basically some you use to seal the crumbs in and give a much smoother and "stickier" surface that you apply your fondant to. What you use is a personal preference and differs depending on various conditions, such as the flavour cake, which buttercream you prefer, etc.

Yes as she said here.  Sorry I wasn't more clear in my information.

nidahscakes1998 Posted 28 May 2015 , 8:55am
post #9 of 9

Its ok thank you kakeladi

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%