Best Way To Cover Cookies?

Decorating By perfectcakebyshirley Updated 15 May 2015 , 5:26pm by -K8memphis

perfectcakebyshirley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
perfectcakebyshirley Posted 15 May 2015 , 1:28pm
post #1 of 5

I need to make a lot of star cookies for my daughter's school, and need to have them blue or silver. I'm considering either using fondant to cover them or royal icing, then either painting or airbrushing them. Which would you recommend as being easiest? 

4 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 15 May 2015 , 1:41pm
post #2 of 5

I use fondant.

Make sure to have all the fondant cut out before you even put the cookies in to bake.  Then as soon as they come out, lay the fondant on top and the heat will "laminate" the fondant onto the cookie.  Work fast!

perfectcakebyshirley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
perfectcakebyshirley Posted 15 May 2015 , 1:44pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks leah_s! I've done that before, just wasn't sure with the painting if it'd be easier another way. Would you then paint or airbrush? I'm wondering about messy edges. Or can I color the fondant pieces before I put them on the cookies? Wasn't sure if it would still work if the fondant is more dried out. Thanks so much.

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 15 May 2015 , 2:59pm
post #4 of 5

I think I would colour the fondant blue and grey. Roll and  cut out the stars and cover with plastic so they don't dry out. Then use a silver dust and blue dust either mixed with clear vanilla or vodka and paint. For me that would be the easiest way to go but we all have our preferences.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 15 May 2015 , 5:26pm
post #5 of 5

rolled buttercream is especially good on these kind of cookies too and the same way leah said to cut the icing out before you bake but with rb you also put the cut out icing stars in the freezer as you put the cookies in the oven so it handles well to apply them as soon as the cookies come out of the oven-- be sure you get edible silver etc.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%