Fondant Or Gumpaste Fairies?

Decorating By drwendy Updated 28 Jan 2007 , 2:42am by drwendy

drwendy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drwendy Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 8:09pm
post #1 of 10

I'm planning a fairy/flower cake in May and I need to get started as I've never used gumpaste before and have only covered cakes in fondant, never modelled. I want to make little fairies (about 2-3 inches high, the little Tinkerbell kind, not the fat cherub kind) to be playing among the flowers (which I also will be doing for the first time...that's why I'm starting now!). Anybody have advice for me on which to use, and any little tips would be helpful! It's for a cast party for Shakespeare's "Midsummer Night's Dream" and I want it to be really cute.

Thanks in advance!

9 replies
Jackie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jackie Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 8:15pm
post #2 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by drwendy

I'm planning a fairy/flower cake in May and I need to get started as I've never used gumpaste before and have only covered cakes in fondant, never modelled. I want to make little fairies (about 2-3 inches high, the little Tinkerbell kind, not the fat cherub kind) to be playing among the flowers (which I also will be doing for the first time...that's why I'm starting now!). Anybody have advice for me on which to use, and any little tips would be helpful! It's for a cast party for Shakespeare's "Midsummer Night's Dream" and I want it to be really cute.

Thanks in advance!

A good place to start is the article on how to make fondant fairies:
http://www.cakecentral.com/article62-How-To-Make-a-Fondant-Fairy.html

Metabea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Metabea Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 8:20pm
post #3 of 10

did you check out this page yet? http://cakecentral.com/article62-How-To-Make-a-Fondant-Fairy.html

they looked so cute I may have to try them out myself. Just for fun

drwendy Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 5:42am
post #4 of 10

I did check that out first, and it's a great idea for how to actually make them (though they look bigger than I have in mind). I guess I just want advice on whether fondant or gumpaste is a better medium (I don't know the finished properties well enough to judge), and I also want to know if you can paint on gumpaste after it's dry with icing color/vodka mix, just like you can with fondant? Maybe I'll post that as a separate question. Thanks!

boonenati Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boonenati Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 5:52am
post #5 of 10
Quote:

I did check that out first, and it's a great idea for how to actually make them (though they look bigger than I have in mind). I guess I just want advice on whether fondant or gumpaste is a better medium (I don't know the finished properties well enough to judge), and I also want to know if you can paint on gumpaste after it's dry with icing color/vodka mix, just like you can with fondant? Maybe I'll post that as a separate question. Thanks!

Wendy
I would suggest using gumpaste as it holds it's shape better than fondant and it dries quicker.
Follow the tutorial, and just make the fairies smaller than pictured.

Sounds like a cute cake.
cheers
Nati
Edited to say:
Instead of making a mold for the face, do the face freehand just a smiley face would be really cute, or if you want to model the face, i have instructions in this webpage
http://www.how2cakes.com

boonenati Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 5:53am
post #6 of 10

oooops sorry about the double message icon_redface.gificon_redface.gif
im having a technically challenged month

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 6:05am
post #7 of 10

If you haven't worked with gumpaste before I would do a 50/50 blend of fondant and gumpaste. The gumpaste will help give you a harder piece that dries faster than just fondant. The fondant gives you more time to work with the piece than straight gumpaste would.

drwendy Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 5:08pm
post #8 of 10

Good advice, I'm going to try it today! Great site, Nati.....just wish I were smart enough to convert your recipes to Imperial....we Americans just don't get the whole metric/Celcius thing! I'll post pix of my fairies if they don't look too stupid, thanks guys!

boonenati Posted 28 Jan 2007 , 12:35am
post #9 of 10
Quote:

Good advice, I'm going to try it today! Great site, Nati.....just wish I were smart enough to convert your recipes to Imperial....we Americans just don't get the whole metric/Celcius thing! I'll post pix of my fairies if they don't look too stupid, thanks guys!

Wendy if you want consistent results with baking, the best thing to do is get a set of scales. Mine weigh in grams, pounds and ounces, so if i get a recipe from say "The Cake Bible" which from memory is in ounces, there is no conversion necessary, i just turn on the ole scales to ounces, and voila!!!
I got mine pretty cheap from eBay : )
cheers
Nati

drwendy Posted 28 Jan 2007 , 2:42am
post #10 of 10

OK, I made some fairies and here's a link to them....haven't painted their little eyes and mouths yet, and there will be some luster dust involved at some point, but at least their little bodies are made! I chickened out and went with fondant instead of gumpaste because I'm a wimp and I'm afraid of gumpaste. Also of spiders.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&pos=-137983

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%