Ganache In The Us

Baking By dm321 Updated 21 Apr 2015 , 3:06am by dm321

dm321 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dm321 Posted 20 Apr 2015 , 12:29am
post #1 of 8

Here in the US, what kind of chocolate do you use when making your ganache...? 

7 replies
dm321 Posted 20 Apr 2015 , 12:35am
post #2 of 8

And by kind of chocolate, I mean kind and brand...   :)

thanks much!

dena

craftybanana2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana2 Posted 20 Apr 2015 , 2:36am
post #3 of 8

I've used Ghiradelli chips and Nestle chips. I think it's probably personal preference? I've only done it twice though and both times I heated up the milk and poured it over the chips. Came out great both times! :)

dm321 Posted 20 Apr 2015 , 3:08am
post #4 of 8

Thanks, Craftybanana2!  I have Ghiradelli melting wafers, which I use for melting/coating. I've never really worked with ganache before but wanted to give it a try this evening for some cake pops.

I made the ganache using regular Nestle Dark Chocolate Morsels, (like you'd use for chocolate chip cookies). The ganache came out great and super tasty.  However, I noticed the longer it sat, it seemed to take on a bit of an oily film.  I just made cake pops with it and they did turn out, but I'm thinking I might try using the wafers next time.  Hmmm.  I'll have to see how the remaining ganache looks and acts tomorrow. 

I thought maybe I overheated it... it didn't taste burnt, so I don't know... 

Anyway, thanks for the reply - I appreciate the advise! And I'll keep on trying!  :)  

Magic Mouthfuls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Magic Mouthfuls Posted 20 Apr 2015 , 3:58am
post #5 of 8

For chocolate ganache - use chocolate (period).  Do not use chocolate chips that are meant for chocolate chip cookies as they have an additional ingredient in the that stops them melting in the oven and helps to retain their shape.  Think of them as a type of decoration (like sprinkles), not a melting chocolate ingredient for cakes/ganache/modelling chocolate etc etc.

The best chocolate to use is couverture Chocolate - it is made with cocoa BUTTER.  Compound chocolate / Candy Melts are made with vegetable OILS - they work OK in ganache, but are inferior in taste and mouthfeel texture.  You will find couverture chocolate in the baking aisle and in the candy aisle - the baking aisle is cheaper.  Just pick up every type of chocolate block or wafer melts (not chips) and read the ingredients - if it says cocoa butter then you are on a winner.   You can make ganache by either chopping up a block or by using the wafer melt size pieces.

lisssa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisssa Posted 20 Apr 2015 , 4:06am
post #6 of 8

I only use Nestle or the COSTCO brand chocolate chips. it works perfect and nice price

TheresaCarol Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheresaCarol Posted 20 Apr 2015 , 1:05pm
post #7 of 8

I love Callebaut chocolate.  The taste is so-fine and the texture is smooth as silk.  It is real chocolate and little more expensive but so worth it.

http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/searchresults.aspx?description=callebaut

dm321 Posted 21 Apr 2015 , 3:06am
post #8 of 8

Thanks so much for all the feedback and advise, Magic Mouthfuls, lisssa, and TheresaCarol!  Looking forward to another try later this week.  :) 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%