What Is Too Soon To Start A Cake?

Baking By Maddalena H Updated 13 Mar 2015 , 7:15pm by Maddalena H

Maddalena H Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maddalena H Posted 13 Mar 2015 , 2:37pm
post #1 of 7

Just wondering how soon others start their cakes when freezing and carving is required? I am making a cake for an easter party that will take quite a bit of carving and shaping. So it will be frozen most of the time. How far ahead would someone start without having to worry about the cake tasting stale?

I've started them before about a week ahead since I can only work on it for an hour or two at a time after my day job.

Thoughts?

6 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 13 Mar 2015 , 4:25pm
post #2 of 7

an important factor is what is already in the fridge and freezer -- cake stored in either for any length of time can take on the 'ambiance' of spaghetti sauce for example even though both are covered/protected -- i like to clean out my fridges and discard any possibly offending food stuffs and wrap my cakes like mummies -- two layers of plastic wrap and then into a reynolds cooking bag for triple protection -- y'know the kind for cooking turkeys that are foodsafe --

with all that said and done i would not go over two weeks myself for a paying client, maybe 3 -- for family, eh two months -- 

-K8memphis Posted 13 Mar 2015 , 5:09pm
post #3 of 7

even from fridge to freezer if it has both in one

-K8memphis Posted 13 Mar 2015 , 5:36pm
post #4 of 7

i mean foods in the fridge can influence foods in the freezer of the same unit and vice versa

mommyofnine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyofnine Posted 13 Mar 2015 , 5:53pm
post #5 of 7

I've done them two weeks ahead and they were still moist and delicious. I had extra lemon cake leftover in the freezer for like three months. I didn't have anything planned for breakfast one morning, so I pulled it out, warmed it in the oven and dusted it with powered sugar. I was amazing. I've heard a couple months stored correctly is fine, but don't think I would do them that early, myself.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 13 Mar 2015 , 5:55pm
post #6 of 7

I have used cake - yes for customers- that had been in the fzr for as much as a month (maybe even 6 wks).  But it was a dedicated fzr - only my cake stuff was in it.  To a small degree even the type of fzr can make a difference.  An upright do not do quite as well as a deep chest but is oh so much more accessible if it is a dedicated one :)

It is best not to put cake in the frig  as it dries out......but then I have eaten cake that I kept in the family frig (well covered) as much as 6 weeks and didn't find it dried out. 

Maddalena H Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maddalena H Posted 13 Mar 2015 , 7:15pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks so much for the tips!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%