How Do I ...stack A 3 Tier Cake Decorated In Ganache

Decorating By Magic Mouthfuls Updated 25 Mar 2015 , 12:23pm by -K8memphis

Magic Mouthfuls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Magic Mouthfuls Posted 9 Mar 2015 , 12:04pm
post #1 of 6

Sorry to ask such a basic question, but the CC search tools seems to be playing up - I get no results every search phrase I use.

I have to deliver a 3 tier cake, decorated in ganache (no fondant) - 1/2 hour drive away.  The cake needs to be pre-assembled before delivery, as there is no opportunity to assemble & finalise the embellishments at the venue.  Do I use ganache as the 'glue' between each tier or royal icing?  (I always use royal icing for fondant tiers).

I am planning to use a central dowel through all 3 tiers, as well as support dowels in bottom & middle tiers.  I cannot source SPS systems or similar here in Australia, so have to use old school techniques.  I trust this will be sufficient support to keep the 3 tiers perfectly aligned during transport?

thanks in advance for your hints & tips

5 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 9 Mar 2015 , 1:47pm
post #2 of 6

i would use the ganache to glue it together and yes your setup sounds very secure -- and i always like to say this just for good measure -- one dowel* is inserted into the cake to mark the height of the tier and all the dowel are cut to that same length -- they are not placed at the far outside perimeter of the cake on top they are placed to hold the weight of the cake --

i usually only use the center dowel for topsy turvy cakes

*i learned from b keith ryder who said he learned this from earlene moore that using this sewing tool instead of the actual dowel to measure is genius

http://kearing.diytrade.com/sdp/1212145/4/pd-5495775/7063857-0/sewing_gauge_metal_ruler.html

not that you needed to hear all that i'm just so glad we're all back online i'm gabby -- no extra charge :)

Magic Mouthfuls Posted 9 Mar 2015 , 11:34pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks K8 - for ALL you advice.    Oooh I like that sewing tool.  I bet I cant buy it for 3 cents tho - ha ha.    

Yes, been busting at the guts wanting to ask questions all week with CC down - now that is up again in a new format, I feel lost, like I'm treading in unknown territory.  

-K8memphis Posted 10 Mar 2015 , 1:41pm
post #4 of 6

you're so welcome -- i am thoroughly enjoying this new board and day by day it gets better and better -- 

Magic Mouthfuls Posted 25 Mar 2015 , 12:22am
post #5 of 6

Hi K8 - the ganache for glue & internal supports worked perfectly.  Over farm road, 2 cattle grid, over 2 speed bumps and finally up a lift to the venue room.  The cake arrived in perfect condition.  Thanks for your advice, always!!

Here's the pic of finished cake   http://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/i/3334731/vintage-rose-in-white-chocolate-ganache

-K8memphis Posted 25 Mar 2015 , 12:23pm
post #6 of 6

you're so welcome

omg it's beautiful -- love the two toned roses where they softly and quietly agree with the icing and your dots are confident but so soft - just so well done

wowsers

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%