How Do I ...stack A 3 Tier Cake Decorated In Ganache

Decorating By Magic Mouthfuls Updated 25 Mar 2015 , 12:23pm by -K8memphis

Magic Mouthfuls Posted 9 Mar 2015 , 12:04pm
post #1 of 6

Sorry to ask such a basic question, but the CC search tools seems to be playing up - I get no results every search phrase I use.

I have to deliver a 3 tier cake, decorated in ganache (no fondant) - 1/2 hour drive away.  The cake needs to be pre-assembled before delivery, as there is no opportunity to assemble & finalise the embellishments at the venue.  Do I use ganache as the 'glue' between each tier or royal icing?  (I always use royal icing for fondant tiers).

I am planning to use a central dowel through all 3 tiers, as well as support dowels in bottom & middle tiers.  I cannot source SPS systems or similar here in Australia, so have to use old school techniques.  I trust this will be sufficient support to keep the 3 tiers perfectly aligned during transport?

thanks in advance for your hints & tips

5 replies
-K8memphis Posted 9 Mar 2015 , 1:47pm
post #2 of 6

i would use the ganache to glue it together and yes your setup sounds very secure -- and i always like to say this just for good measure -- one dowel* is inserted into the cake to mark the height of the tier and all the dowel are cut to that same length -- they are not placed at the far outside perimeter of the cake on top they are placed to hold the weight of the cake --

i usually only use the center dowel for topsy turvy cakes

*i learned from b keith ryder who said he learned this from earlene moore that using this sewing tool instead of the actual dowel to measure is genius

not that you needed to hear all that i'm just so glad we're all back online i'm gabby -- no extra charge :)

Magic Mouthfuls Posted 9 Mar 2015 , 11:34pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks K8 - for ALL you advice.    Oooh I like that sewing tool.  I bet I cant buy it for 3 cents tho - ha ha.    

Yes, been busting at the guts wanting to ask questions all week with CC down - now that is up again in a new format, I feel lost, like I'm treading in unknown territory.  

-K8memphis Posted 10 Mar 2015 , 1:41pm
post #4 of 6

you're so welcome -- i am thoroughly enjoying this new board and day by day it gets better and better -- 

Magic Mouthfuls Posted 25 Mar 2015 , 12:22am
post #5 of 6

Hi K8 - the ganache for glue & internal supports worked perfectly.  Over farm road, 2 cattle grid, over 2 speed bumps and finally up a lift to the venue room.  The cake arrived in perfect condition.  Thanks for your advice, always!!

Here's the pic of finished cake

-K8memphis Posted 25 Mar 2015 , 12:23pm
post #6 of 6

you're so welcome

omg it's beautiful -- love the two toned roses where they softly and quietly agree with the icing and your dots are confident but so soft - just so well done

Quote by @%username% on %date%