Best Edible Image Printer, Paper Etc?

Decorating By Mybearsbaby Updated 7 Jul 2016 , 6:20pm by icingimages

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 19 Jun 2015 , 3:27am
post #31 of 57

We do stand behind our printers, always have that is why we have such great customer service. 16 years in the edible food industry with top level high profile sugar artists including Certified Master Sugar Artists as well as top level instructors Chefs and so much more who love our company and our products. We also have grown our business through serving our customers with good service and good products. Readers just call and try our products for yourselves. 

Mybearsbaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mybearsbaby Posted 22 Jun 2015 , 5:11pm
post #32 of 57

So, I finally took the plunge and bought an edible image printer. I ordered yesterday, and it came in the mail today!! <3 

After al the recommendations on here, I went with the Canon mg6620, in a beautiful burnt orange color. I found an awesome deal on  Ebay. I got the printer, a 24 pack of wafer paper, a 12 pack of Luck's brand icing sheets, and the edible ink for around $180, so under my budget of $200. 

I will most likey be buying my replacement ink, paper, and other supplies from Icing Images. I can't wait to get started printing!! 

Also, I saw another thread had started on this topic, and Icing Images gave some very good information in addition to what is here. 

Here is the link:

http://www.cakecentral.com/forum/t/822337/edible-ink-printers#post_7627103

Thank you all for your input and answers. I am sure I will have more questions, lol. I will also try to come back and post with my "review" of the printer. 

icingimages Posted 23 Jun 2015 , 4:12pm
post #33 of 57

Congratulations!!!  Looking forward to having you as a customer!

LorraineVLD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LorraineVLD Posted 8 Jul 2015 , 4:39am
post #34 of 57

Hi there

Can someone please help me?  I have had 5 Canon printers since January 2015 and they all develop the same problem.  The last one I purchased a week ago was a MG5620 (and before that was a MG6600 which lasted 4 weeks and also had a MG6620.  ). The problem is that the printer creates evenly spaced faint lines about an inch apart all down the image from top to bottom.  On all printers I have performed roller cleaning and deep cleaning and bottom plate cleaning numerous times with no success. The nozzle check pattern is perfect.   My cartridges must be ok since when I put them in the new printer the lines disappear.  I print 6 to 10 images daily so I don't think it is a print head problem.  This last printer has barely printed 40 images. I am in the middle of a large order right now and will have to purchase another one in the morning.  Everyone recommends Canon but I cannot continue like this.  Any suggestions would be a life saver.  Thank you in advance.

Lorraine 

icingimages Posted 8 Jul 2015 , 12:11pm
post #35 of 57

Hi Lorraine,

I am so sorry that you haven't contacted us before buying each printer.  The problem is not the printer directly, but more the settings and the supplies you are using in combination.  I have to assume that you are not using our Icing Images Premium Icing Sheets.  My belief it is a combination of the wrong printing settings and the icing sheet you are using. What it is that the pinfeeds on your printer are getting gunked up.  If the settings are wrong and you are using an Icing Sheet other than the Premium Icing Sheet from Icing Images then you are getting a build up on the pinfeeds (not the roller directly). The ink goes on the sheet on NON-icing images premium icing sheets and it softens the paper and as the rollers pull the icing sheet through the rollers pick up little bits of paper causing a build up on the rollers. The reason why it is fine when you get a new printer is that it has not had time to build up. In addition, if your ink settings are causing to much ink to go on to the icing sheet, it is not drying quick enough before the rollers hit the icing sheet as well.  I will tell you the right settings here on the forum but if you are still having a problem, I will need you to call our office and have us send you the pinfeed info sheet.  On the printer you are currently using it is hard to get at the pinfeeds to clean them, but hopefully since this is a new printer you don't have much build up on the pinfeeds.

Proper settings using Icing Images products - I say this because even though you are currently not using our products, it is what works for our products.  I do not know if the manufacturer of the products you are using have different settings, but I am assuming that you contacted them and they did not help you otherwise you wouldn't be so panicked!

Under printer properties set your paper type to "matte".  Under printer quality keep that at standard. Go in to the maintenance tab.  Under the "other" section is click on "custom settings" In that section click on "prevent paper  abrasion".  Every time you print you will get a message that asks you if you want this turned on, just click ok.  This is when I put in my icing sheet, then click ok to print. 

Regarding the pinfeeds, you may be able to still see them, but they should be faint and for the most part disappear after the ink drys.  It shouldn't be noticeable unless you have that build up.  So after you have fixed all this, before you call us for more help, Run some thicker paper through the printer to see if some of that build up falls off the rollers.  I would go in to word, type one letter on the top and then print out several pieces of card stock.

I know people are hesitant to call us if they are not our customer.  Lorraine, I need to use you as an example if thats ok, as I hate to see what you went through happen to someone else.  Lorraine had a problem and tried to fix it using some great -ideas, but because she couldn't solve the problem resorted to buying printers to fix the problem.  If she knew about us, could have called us and we could have helped her fix it. I know she is probably kicking herself, however the important thing is to fix the problem the right way and that is what we are here to do EVEN IF YOU ARE NOT OUR CUSTOMER! Icing Images has been in business for a long time.  I as the owner of the company am active in the office to help if my staff cannot help you.  We cant fix everything, but we are here to help you.  If you are not using our products, we can't pay for your fix, but most problems are minor adjustments.

In addition, quality products are so important.  The Premium Icing Sheets were brought in to the market as a solution.  We use to sell another brand, but our Premium sheets are amazing.  Our inks are fabulous and have the right amount of alcohol in them to solve all kinds of problems.  They keep the ink safe, the help to hold the color after it prints so it doesn't fade and the alcohol acts as a drying agent to help prevent the problems that Lorraine was having.  BUT it doesn't mean that you can get results with other brands.  We will help you within our limits to get those results even if you are not using our products.

So the moral of the story is post your questions, call us if you have problems you cannot solve - even if you are not our customer and keep printing!!!!

Icing Images can be reached at: 540-869-5511 Eastern Standard Time between 9-5. Questions can be emailed to [email protected].  WE ARE HERE!!! 

Good Luck Lorraine, please let us know how this works for you and remember if it doesn't then to call us so we can give you further instructions.

Happy Printing

LorraineVLD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LorraineVLD Posted 11 Jul 2015 , 1:05pm
post #36 of 57

Thank you SO much for the quick reply.

I will have to call you about the pinfeed info sheet.  I thought marks from pinfeeds were perforated marks.  My are just straight lines so will check this out with you.  Perhaps I can send a picture of my lines to you.

I am using all the settings you recommend i.e prevent paper abrasion and matte.  I have also tried 'high resolution paper' which was suggested before. 

I replaced my Canon MG 5620 with the same model and the first sheet through had the faint lines.  My lines do not fade or disappear when dry. 

I will certainly keep on corresponding with you until my problem is fixed, because I would not want anyone else to have to go through this process without help. 

I was doing more research and it was suggested not to use high quality but standard print quality.  So I will try this this weekend and let you know.  I will also try your card stock print cleaning tip but printer is so new there shouldn't be a build up.

I  should have tried all these options before responding but wanted to let you know I am still in the loop and will continue until this problem is resolved.

Thank you again for such a quick reply.

Lorraine 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 11 Jul 2015 , 1:19pm
post #37 of 57

icing images, you are really cool, the best -- thank you for all the brilliant support you so freely and kindly give 

icingimages Posted 11 Jul 2015 , 2:35pm
post #38 of 57

Thanks k8 you are kind. The "high res" paper really doesn't mean anything. Depending on the actual paper you can still get the track marks. There is always some sort of tracking and it can appear as lines. If they are thin then it's the pin feeds. We will get you through this no worries. Can our office and we will help you. You can also pm pictures and I can confirm that it's pinfeeds. Looking forward to getting things straightened out for you!

BallardBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BallardBakes Posted 6 Aug 2015 , 3:18pm
post #39 of 57

I have a question about maintenance. I'm planning to buy the 5620 and use icing images ink and sheets. Some months I'll use the printer weekly but there will be times when I go several weeks or months without needing it. Is it possible to remove the ink cartridges and clean the print head to prevent clogging and drying out during the down time?

Thanks!

icingimages Posted 7 Aug 2015 , 5:03pm
post #40 of 57

I would not recommend taking the cartridges out.  Keep it in there and print using regular paper here and there if you can.  But if you leave the ink in, you are going to keep the printhead moist as well as the cartridges so things do not dry out and clog.  You can also just do a nozzle check here and there to keep the printhead happy! I hope this helps!  Oh, one more thing.  Contact your local competitors and let them know you have an edible printer and you will be more than happy to print for them.  Give them certain requirements but that way you can make money off your competitors!

cbartschi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cbartschi Posted 21 Dec 2015 , 11:41pm
post #41 of 57

I have an honest question to ask.. not trying to be mean.  I super badly want an edible image printer.  I looked them up on icing images and it's more than I can pay.  I googled the same printer midel on non cake sights and I can find the same model for $69.00 on sale. The canon that icing images sells and recommends. I understand I need edible ink.  So if icing images sells this same printer they would sell the compatible ink... Therefore saving hundreds of dollars by getting a printer off a sight that isn't for cakes by getting the same model printer and just buying the edible ink and paper from a cake sight. Is there something I'm not understanding @icingimages?

icingimages Posted 22 Dec 2015 , 7:13pm
post #42 of 57

cbartschi,

That is a great question and is definitely not mean.  I am glad you asked actually! Purchasing everything seperately is the least expensive way to go.  Icing Images offers a one year warranty, but keep in mind if you purchase separately all the products, we can not warranty the printer, but if you are using our products we will help you the best we can, we just can't pay for things that need replacement or repair.  The printer separately is very inexpensive right now with the holidays and it is a great time to purchase if you are doing it this way.  But the Icing Images package includes supplies, depending on the model you get such as 5 cartridges, 2 packs of icing sheets, cleaner, USB cable, iPrint, 30 days of iDesigns for free and of coarse the warranty.  Any time you buy something seperately and build the kit yourself it should be cheaper.  You can build a house for a lot cheaper then buying a finished one or even a used one!  But one stop shopping, convenience, warranty service and our programs bring the value up. 

I hope this helps!

Debbie

cbartschi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cbartschi Posted 22 Dec 2015 , 8:01pm
post #43 of 57

Thank you, thank you Debbie@icingimages!  It means a lot.  You will be seeing me as a future customer! :)

icingimages Posted 22 Dec 2015 , 8:05pm
post #44 of 57

Looking forward to it.  Be sure to sign up on our mailing list on our home page as we send out lots of coupons.  Also you get a free 5% coupon just for creating an account with us!

sweetcrunch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcrunch Posted 22 Dec 2015 , 9:40pm
post #45 of 57

Hi, Im Dia'Monte, Im a 16 year old baker. I just started my own small baking business. I want to start working with edible printing as well. But I know absolutely knowing about. My customers are really looking forward into me doing edible images. So my question is... 

I am also looking into buying a edible printer and everything for it. My budget is also under $200. What is the best printer for edible images that up to date (AS we are walking into 2016) ?

And maybe some information about edible printing as well.  

sweetcrunch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcrunch Posted 23 Dec 2015 , 5:09pm
post #46 of 57

Hi, Im Dia'Monte, Im a 16 year old baker. I just started my own small baking business. I want to start working with edible printing as well. But I know absolutely knowing about. My customers are really looking forward into me doing edible images. So my question is... 

I am also looking into buying a edible printer and everything for it. My budget is also under $200. What is the best printer for edible images that up to date (AS we are walking into 2016) ?

And maybe some information about edible printing as well.  

BallardBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BallardBakes Posted 23 Dec 2015 , 6:05pm
post #47 of 57

I have the canon MG6620. If you buy it on Amazon and then just get your ink and icing sheets from edible images you can definitely get set up for under $200.

icingimages Posted 28 Dec 2015 , 4:25pm
post #48 of 57

Hi Dia'Monte,

Wow congratulations on starting a business at such a young age.  Owning a business and being a bakery are two professions in one.  The art of baking and decorating uses a completely different skill set than does running a business. I am only a business person myself.  With running a business it is important that you choose products that will economically enhance your business and not take a way from it.  Just because a product is out there, does not always make it the best choice.  The reason I am saying this is that when you own an edible printer, it is not something to have on your shelf when you  need it.  For example, food products have an expiration date on them so you have a certain amount of time to use it in, before it goes bad.  That is similar with the edible printer that the paper has to be used in about 2 years, so that is not a big deal.  The bigger deal is that an edible printer is something that you have to use regularly.  If you do not use it, you could spend more time dealing with problems than printing.  So, before you commit to edible printing, you have to ask yourself, will I be using the edible printer every week to two weeks?  That is if you use our products.  Other companies products you have to print with it every day or every other day.  You do not have to print an icing sheet, you can print on an regular piece of paper to keep it happy.  If you use our products and cannot commit to printing weekly or biweekly, do not get the printer until you know you will.  But, you sound like a go-getter, after all you are a baker at age 16 and I presume you are still in high school which brings about a whole other job you have to preform successfully.  In that case, if you think you can print every week to two weeks, but your not sure, as you know you will have some business, but will you have enough, then you need to find other ways to use edible printing in cakes or cookies where the customer has not asked for it.  For example, we have  a program called iDesigns.  It is a collection of over 1600 different images that are licensed for edible use.  They are designer patterns that you can use to enhance your cakes.  Putting designs on the inside of flower petals, or using it with bows and ribbons are also other creative ways to use the edible printers.  Another idea, is to drum up extra business by going to realtors and creating the pictures of their business cards or the houses they are selling and putting the edible version on a cookie for open houses.  But please, do not buy the printer if you are not going to use it regularly as stated above.  

Regarding your $200 budget.  You can do it, you would have to buy the printer seperately as listed above and then purchase the supplies seperately.  To also save money, sign up for our emails.  I will tell you as soon as I finish this post I will be completing our New Years email which of coarse should have a coupon!  We email these out!  If you don't make it on our list in time, then like us on Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter and we put coupons up all the time!  But the printer as stated in others posts are on sale right now.  The MG 6620 by Canon or the Canon ix6820 are all current printers.  The only difference is that the Canon ix6820 prints the large a3 sheets and does not have a scan bed. 

Technological, the new line of printers ususally hits in the fall and for edible printing, its the ink that really needs to be the most up to date. As long as you have an edible printer that is 1-2 years, even 2-3 years old you are up to date with the cartridges/ink top technology, at least with Icing Images.

What questions can I answer for you regarding Edible Printing?

Read more at http://www.cakecentral.com/forum/t/783423/best-edible-image-printer-paper-etc/30#AlTThPBl81u0iZPS.99

FrostedMoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostedMoon Posted 25 Mar 2016 , 5:38pm
post #49 of 57

Huge shout out to Icing Images!  I am so impressed with your willingness to share information and be helpful, I've decided to order from your company for the sheets, cleaner, and edible ink cartridges.  I'm still deciding which cannon printer to get though.  I'm wondering if anyone can further express a preference for either the  Cannon Pixma MG6820 Inkjet all-in-one printer or the Cannon Pixma MG6620 all-in-one color inkjet?  There is a decent price difference, but contrary to the above post it seems like they both scan, but the 6620 seems to be geared more towards pictures?

Any insight is appreciated.  Thank you!

icingimages Posted 25 Mar 2016 , 5:50pm
post #50 of 57

Thank you FrostedMoon!

We are looking forward to having you as a customer.  

The MG6820 and the MG 6620 are the same EXCEPT the 6820 takes cartridges that are not available yet!  So do not get the 6820 quite yet.  We are close, but until we have them and have tested them properly, you do not want to get that printer.  Other than that, they are the same.  Every few years Canon changes their models.  Sometimes they change the cartridges sometimes they dont.  This year they did!  So the MG6620 is harder to find because stock is running thin out there.  We do sell them.  With us you will be getting the Edible warranty.  Outside of our company you won't be.  The other option if you do not care about the scanner is the Canon ix6820 Notice the different letters used.  This can get confused. So you want the MG6620 or the ix6820 but do not want the MG6820.  The ix6820 does not have a scanner but it does print the large icing sheets as well as every other icing sheet we sell.  The MG6620 prints everything except the large A4 sheets.  

Printing quality, really there is no noticeable difference. 

Thank you again and I hope this  helps you!

Debbie

www.icingimages.com

SensationalCakesAndMore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SensationalCakesAndMore Posted 26 Mar 2016 , 1:35pm
post #51 of 57

Hi Debbie@Icing Images, I have the MG6620 that was purchased for me from a different vendor (boo! hiss!). The inks the provided never primed properly and one broke while unpacking. They grudgingly replaced the inks, telling me how lucky I was that they were willing to do this. When I finally got the ink primed properly and tried to print on their icing sheet, it completely fractured in the printer. OK lesson learned... I purchased your icing sheets and it's smooth sailing, no issues! I know where I'm getting my icing sheets from now on, right?! And ink too. Sheesh.

My question is this: is there a way to open up the printer to clean out the detritus from the yucky icing sheet? I haven't seen crumbs come out in a while (have probably printed about 20 images so far) but it would be nice to be sure it's cleaned out.

Thanks! :D

FrostedMoon Posted 26 Mar 2016 , 4:11pm
post #52 of 57

Thank you so much Icing Images!  You continue to impress me!  This is exactly the information that I was looking for.  

Do you have any idea what the time frame might be on when you will be able to test & hopefully make available the cartridges for the MG6820?  It seems short-sighted for me to purchase a printer that is almost impossible to find (some are saying it is being discontinued), yet I'm nervous to get a printer with new cartridges when only time will tell if the average home baker finds it reliable.  The MG6620/MG6820 printers definitely fit my needs more than the ix6820.

Is it better to just wait?  I swear I'm a patient person, but when it comes to my caking toys my patience goes out the window!

icingimages Posted 26 Mar 2016 , 5:49pm
post #53 of 57

HI FrostedMoon,

The printer will be fine once we get the matching technology.  It is scheduled for April, but, it was scheduled for February, then March...  The printer will be the same quality etc as the one before it in regards to edible printing so I wouldn't be worried about that.  We do have them in stock, but we are more expensive as we have to be able to honor warranties.  THey are on amazon for under $100 with shipping.  Then you would order the supplies from us, however no warranty.  Honestly, for the most part when you use the right inks with your printer, you seldom have warranty issues, but other parts do break...sometimes.  If you can find a deal you are happy with, you don't have to wait. You are not getting anything better by waiting.  You like cake toys?  Check out the DECOgel and the Silhouette! Do you ever go to cake shows? If so which ones and what state do you live in?

FrostedMoon Posted 27 Mar 2016 , 1:18pm
post #54 of 57

Thanks again Icing Images!  Gives me a lot to consider!

I'm in MA, not far from Boston.  I only know of a few cake shows in MA, but I've never been as they are usually on bad weekends for me.  I wish I could though!

icingimages Posted 27 Mar 2016 , 7:16pm
post #55 of 57

Lisa Mansour from New York Cakes is doing one in May.  The others we attend are in VA and the Florida and across the Nation! 

chimzazu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chimzazu Posted 7 Jul 2016 , 7:00am
post #56 of 57

Hi Icingimages, I am from Australia and trying to get a Canon printer model MG 6620 as some has suggested on the forum but that model does not exist in OZ, any chance you know what is the version for that model  in Australia zone. I am traveling to the US soon and I want to order some ink from you providing I know what printer is compatible with your provided inks, can you plz help

icingimages Posted 7 Jul 2016 , 6:20pm
post #57 of 57

Hi

In countries other than the US, they have different printer series that take different cartridges.  What we have that is compatible are cartridges that have cartridge series PGI 570 Black, Magenta, Cyan and Yellow and CLI571 black NO GREY CARTRIDGE.

The following printers are possibly compatible in Australia, however, make sure that it uses the cartridge series above an that there is NO GREY CARTRIDGE MG5750, MG5751, MG5752, MG5753, MG6850, MG6851, MG6852, MG6853.  Please make sure that the printer you get uses those specific cartridges and DOES NOT have a grey cartridge, only 2 blacks, 1 yellow,  1 cyan, and 1 magenta. 

Because this forum saves all posts, please make sure if you read this in the future that cartridges and printer model numbers will change.  For up to date and accurate information please contact [email protected]  This is post is dated 7/7/2016.

Also, please when you find the  printer, please email us your order so we make sure we have everything you need ready for you.

PGI 570 Black, Magenta, CYan and Yellow and CLI571 black
Read more at http://www.cakecentral.com/forum/t/783423/best-edible-image-printer-paper-etc#B6YaYmTMT7g0xCQb.99

PGI 570 Black, Magenta, CYan and Yellow and CLI571 black.
Read more at http://www.cakecentral.com/forum/t/783423/best-edible-image-printer-paper-etc#B6YaYmTMT7g0xCQb.99
PGI 570 Black, Magenta, CYan and Yellow and CLI571 black.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%