Very New And Overwhelmed!

Decorating By Farmwifecakes Updated 16 Jan 2015 , 12:56am by Farmwifecakes

Farmwifecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Farmwifecakes Posted 10 Jan 2015 , 11:50pm
post #1 of 8

AI'm so thankful this forum is here! I'm a new cake decorated and have started a cupcake business with a friend that does the baking. I've had a passion for decorating for awhile but now have started to teach myself technique of the trade. Needless to say I feel overwhelmed with the business side of things. Plus I deal with insecurities of not being properly educated by a college or classes off any kind. We have Wilton classes but I've never done them. Right now money is to tight.

[B]Has anyone one else started doing cupcake decorating business being self taught? [/B]

Even though it's overwhelming, I'm having an absolute blast decorating and love it!

I just wanted to introduce myself and will have plenty more questions coming up.

7 replies
bikemom3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bikemom3 Posted 11 Jan 2015 , 12:24am
post #2 of 8

AWelcome! Craftsy has lots of very beneficial classes ( business & decorating) online for very reasonable prices ( on sale under $20). They are structured so they work for a variety of learning styles. Check out the small business association, they offer free work shops many areas. There's lots of information available on this site too. I've read LOTS of old threads. Two cc members have also written very helpful books "start & run a home based food business" by Mimi Fix and Kara Buntin's "not so common sense 5 tips for home based business" - they can be found on Amazon. hope this helps! Good luck

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 11 Jan 2015 , 5:27am
post #3 of 8

Wilton is not bad as a beginning.  It's not that expensive.  Just remember you *don't* have to buy all the things they tell you/suggest.  It is the 'teacher's' responsibility to sell, sell, sell.  For Many of the things they recommend usually there is something at home that will work just as well.  Granted it's be some 10-15 yrs since I taught Wilton and the classes have changed lots but I bet the part of 'recommending' certain tools/equipment is still the same. 

Some people can teach themselves just by reading books - some stores sell the Wilton lesson books w/o you taking the classes so you might try that.  It didn't work for me! :)  It wasn't until after I took lessons that what I read in the books started to make sense to me and I was ab le to expand my knowledge from books.

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 11 Jan 2015 , 5:36am
post #4 of 8

It is easy to find lots of free and good quality videos online for decorating.  But what is WAY more important is the business side of things.  That is what should be your focus if you want a successful business.  One way to start is go to the business section on Cake central and read, read and read some more.  Go to the different links that come up in the threads.  Really take to heart what you read about pricing, contracts, deposits, legalities, marketing, etc.  Running a cupcake business is half baking/decorating and have the business side.  You need to prepare for both.

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 12 Jan 2015 , 1:55am
post #5 of 8

I you're going to have a business, you first need a business plan.

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 12 Jan 2015 , 2:44am
post #6 of 8

Welcome,  and yes, definitely do a business plan. How much does everything cost and how much do you wish to make in profit?  Make sure everything you do is legal if you are here in the US.  (May take some time to get cash to pay for all.)

You do not need a formal education to start a business, you just need experience, practice,  patience and emotional strength.  Experience is how businesses grow and patience will get you through when you are learning and practicing.  Once you get good, referrals will come in.  Whatever you do, don't charge too little in the name of "getting your name out there," or because you have a difficult time asking for what you are worth.…that's where the emotional strength comes in. Charging too little is a trap many bakers fall into and they burn out and lose a lot of dough  (pun intended!!!).:-D

All business takes time to develop. As you are new, just start simple and small. I used to like to look at pictures for inspiration and then find a video tutorial on Youtube or in a book and just have fun practicing before I made the cake.

Good luck and keep it fun!!!

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 12 Jan 2015 , 7:50pm
post #7 of 8

OP, anything new can feel overwhelming. Many people (including myself) are self-taught; having a baking or pastry arts degree is not as important as knowing how to run a business. As @shanter stated, you need a business plan to move you in the direction of a profitable venture.

Farmwifecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Farmwifecakes Posted 16 Jan 2015 , 12:56am
post #8 of 8

AThanks so much for everyone's help. I've been looking thru information on the business side of things. We have some very good contacts in the way of potential customers but want to nail down a business plan.

Thankfully my business partner's husband is a business man and has been a big help to us.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%