Can I Use This For Swiss Meringue Buttercream?

Decorating By bakeforfun21 Updated 30 Jan 2015 , 12:45am by freesia777

bakeforfun21 Posted 5 Jan 2015 , 6:36pm
post #1 of 20

I really want to make it. I love the flavor of it. Can I use butter in a tub for it? I+Can%27t+Believe+It%27s+Not+Butter+Original+Tub+Image.jpg

19 replies
-K8memphis Posted 5 Jan 2015 , 6:49pm
post #2 of 20

i have tested smbc with a variety of non-butter margarine type products so it is definitely possible -- i did not use that one but it should work -- 

bakeforfun21 Posted 5 Jan 2015 , 6:53pm
post #3 of 20

Quote:

Originally Posted by -K8memphis 
 

i have tested smbc with a variety of non-butter margarine type products so it is definitely possible -- i did not use that one but it should work -- 

It's those big tubs of butter they sell at the grocery store. I use it for my cakes but I wasn't sure if it would be too soft for the buttercream.

-K8memphis Posted 5 Jan 2015 , 7:02pm
post #4 of 20

it could be just gotta test it -- but i tested a ton of olive oil and soy margarines/spreads and they all worked out fine or was that for the cake hmmm --maybe that was a cake recipe? now i can't remember 

 

so sorry -- i was testing cake recipes not smbc --  duh on me

bakeforfun21 Posted 5 Jan 2015 , 7:08pm
post #5 of 20

Quote:

Originally Posted by -K8memphis 
 

it could be just gotta test it -- but i tested a ton of olive oil and soy margarines/spreads and they all worked out fine or was that for the cake hmmm --maybe that was a cake recipe? now i can't remember 

 

so sorry -- i was testing cake recipes not smbc --  duh on me

ok. i will try it out. Thank you

julia1812 Posted 5 Jan 2015 , 7:24pm
post #6 of 20

AIt should be fine. Made smbc even with parts of shortening and it worked good.

bakeforfun21 Posted 5 Jan 2015 , 7:38pm
post #7 of 20

Quote:

Originally Posted by julia1812 

It should be fine. Made smbc even with parts of shortening and it worked good.

Cool. Thank you

maybenot Posted 5 Jan 2015 , 9:40pm
post #8 of 20

That's not butter, it's margarine. 

 

Margarine typically has a lot more water in it than butter.  I believe it also melts at a much lower temp [unlike shortening which melts at a higher temp.]

 

SMBC made with this product may never get hard when refrigerated and in some cases, SMBC needs to be hardened in the refrigerator for certain applications [e.g. stenciling].

 

No harm in trying it, but it may not act the way you need it to...............

bakeforfun21 Posted 6 Jan 2015 , 12:40am
post #9 of 20

Thanks everyone. I ended up going to Publix and getting regular butter. This is the third time I've made Swiss meringue and it finally came out right. And I did it with a hand mixer!!! I'm so excited

-K8memphis Posted 6 Jan 2015 , 10:24am
post #10 of 20

Acongratulations -- that's gotta feel great -- so did you use the tub butter both previous times?

bakeforfun21 Posted 6 Jan 2015 , 3:24pm
post #11 of 20

Quote:

Originally Posted by -K8memphis 

congratulations -- that's gotta feel great -- so did you use the tub butter both previous times?

no. I used the  "I can't believe it's not butter" sticks. I never knew it was margarine. That's what I grew up using so I stuck with it. I used the Publix brand sweet cream butter this time. I let my husband try it and then let him try the wilton buttercream recipe to see what he liked. He prefers the swiss meringue but it needs more vanilla flavoring.

-K8memphis Posted 6 Jan 2015 , 3:35pm
post #12 of 20

so are the icbinb sticks as firm as butter -- i think that any spread that is not butter could be considered margarine

bakeforfun21 Posted 6 Jan 2015 , 3:46pm
post #13 of 20

Quote:

Originally Posted by -K8memphis 
 

so are the icbinb sticks as firm as butter -- i think that any spread that is not butter could be considered margari

It's not. I never really noticed until you asked. It's about the same as softened butter. Not too soft but perfect for spreading.

bakeforfun21 Posted 6 Jan 2015 , 3:56pm
post #14 of 20

Quote:

Originally Posted by -K8memphis 
 

so are the icbinb sticks as firm as butter -- i think that any spread that is not butter could be considered margarine

 I did notice that it had more of a buttery flavor when I used icbinb. That's the flavor I like with my meringue but I didn't get it this time. 

-K8memphis Posted 6 Jan 2015 , 4:51pm
post #15 of 20

you could add some lorann butter flavor oil -- but you wanna be careful about your melting point -- since it's softer than butter and melts in the 90's -- it'd be about the same maybe a little lower for yours -- i'd test that if i was you --

bakeforfun21 Posted 6 Jan 2015 , 5:25pm
post #16 of 20

Quote:

Originally Posted by -K8memphis 
 

you could add some lorann butter flavor oil -- but you wanna be careful about your melting point -- since it's softer than butter and melts in the 90's -- it'd be about the same maybe a little lower for yours -- i'd test that if i was you --

Awesome. I'll try that. Will it give me an authentic butter flavor or a manufactured taste?

-K8memphis Posted 6 Jan 2015 , 7:06pm
post #17 of 20

i can't answer for your taste buds necessarily -- i dare say something like that is what is in the icbinbutter so it can't hurt -- i have used butter flavor oil in various applications successfully over the years -- never had an issue with it -- it is very concentrated so read up on it where you know how much you're using and y'know taste test --

 

and i'm sure i've used it in abc icing before where they wanted stark white and i wanted the butter bang anyway

bakeforfun21 Posted 6 Jan 2015 , 7:09pm
post #18 of 20

Quote:

Originally Posted by -K8memphis 
 

i can't answer for your taste buds necessarily -- i dare say something like that is what is in the icbinbutter so it can't hurt -- i have used butter flavor oil in various applications successfully over the years -- never had an issue with it -- it is very concentrated so read up on it where you know how much you're using and y'know taste test --

 

and i'm sure i've used it in abc icing before where they wanted stark white and i wanted the butter bang anyway

ok. Thank you

-K8memphis Posted 6 Jan 2015 , 7:17pm
post #19 of 20

and i have a pretty good taster ;)

 

hope all goes very well!

freesia777 Posted 30 Jan 2015 , 12:45am
post #20 of 20

AI made a birthday cake for my brother-in-law last night and he asked me to use I Can't Believe it's Not Butter for the frosting. I had serious doubts about it, but I wanted to do what he requested, so I bought it in stick form. The prospect of putting it in SMBC terrified me (SMBC can be so persnickety in the best of conditions!) but it worked surprisingly well in an American buttercream. It never crusted or got hard even when refrigerated- remained reasonably spreadable right from the fridge. It stayed yellow-tinged as well, but if I had had violet gel coloring perhaps that would have helped. Truth be told, I thought the scent was a little funky, but it went over very well with the three other people who ate it. Everyone liked it!

So while I would personally prefer to use butter, at least it's nice to know that it can be done. :grin:

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%