How Do I Create This Texture?

Decorating By LeGateau Updated 20 Oct 2014 , 6:08pm by savannahquinn

LeGateau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeGateau Posted 18 Oct 2014 , 4:45pm
post #1 of 9

Someone has asked me to create a lady dior purse cake. The texture of the bag is a bit mind boggling, particularly the raised circles. 

(pictured- real purse, and a well done cake version)

My guess is that the circles are underneath, then another layer of fondant is added and the line up all the stitches and quilting... but that seems really, really difficult to do. Surely there is an easier way? 

I tried contacting the person who made this cake, and they did not want to disclose the method to me, which is too bad...

8 replies
savannahquinn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
savannahquinn Posted 18 Oct 2014 , 5:00pm
post #2 of 9

I would  buttercream the cake, put fondant panels on it.  Use a  hexagon or circle cutter to make the hexagons /circles, being careful not to cut thru the fondant.  Use a quilting tool to make the lines.

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 19 Oct 2014 , 2:21am
post #3 of 9

They aren't circles. They're not really hexagons either; at least that would be more complicated If you look closely at the enlarged pattern, it is made entirely of straight lines. Make diagonal straight lines so you have vertical rows of squares on point. Then put the straight lines, two together, horizontally and vertically, so they clip the corners off the squares. The squares that the "two lines together" don't go through will look puffed up.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 19 Oct 2014 , 3:10am
post #4 of 9

AI'd imagine those are circles until the stitching is done, creating the new hexagon like pattern. Interesting indeed.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 19 Oct 2014 , 3:10am
post #5 of 9

AOh I'll look closer shanter, you're probably right.

savannahquinn Posted 19 Oct 2014 , 10:51pm
post #6 of 9

AShanter- you are so right!!!

pastrypet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrypet Posted 20 Oct 2014 , 3:55pm
post #7 of 9

I think maybe the black purse cake was not done the way I described, but the real purse was done with straight lines.

Good luck!

cakebaby2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaby2 Posted 20 Oct 2014 , 4:26pm
post #8 of 9

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeGateau 

Someone has asked me to create a lady dior purse cake. The texture of the bag is a bit mind boggling, particularly the raised circles. 

(pictured- real purse, and a well done cake version)

My guess is that the circles are underneath, then another layer of fondant is added and the line up all the stitches and quilting... but that seems really, really difficult to do. Surely there is an easier way? 

I tried contacting the person who made this cake, and they did not want to disclose the method to me, which is too bad...

I dont think its too bad lol! That is one nice cake and when the code gets cracked its going to be everywhere like those ombre ones. Can't blame the creator for keeping it under her/his hat a bit longer x

savannahquinn Posted 20 Oct 2014 , 6:08pm
post #9 of 9

I didn't realize the black one was a cake!  I can't zoom in but those look more like circles. Probably put circles on back of fondant and create the panel prior to putting it on cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%