How To Remove Fondant From A Dummy Styrofoam Cake?

Decorating By RebecaR Updated 18 Jul 2014 , 10:01pm by maybenot

RebecaR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RebecaR Posted 18 Jul 2014 , 7:19am
post #1 of 10

So this is my first time working with a dummy cake, putting on the fondant was super easy. But now I would like to remove the old hard fondant so that I may reuse the dummy cake. I tried peeling it off but it's really difficult and it's hard as a rock. When I covered my dummy cake in fondant, I just misted it with water. Should I have done something else to prevent the fondant from getting stuck to the Styrofoam? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! 

9 replies
rbcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rbcakes Posted 18 Jul 2014 , 8:49am
post #2 of 10

ATry soaking it in water. If you have a container large enough, put something heavy on it then cover with water until it softens enough to come off. Or cover it with damp paper towels (you might need to re-wet the paper towels a few times for the fondant to soften enough.)

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 18 Jul 2014 , 8:50am
post #3 of 10

Fill your sink or a large bowl with hot water. Put the dummy in and put a weight (plate or something) on top so it doesn't float. The fondant will start to dissolve and get soft, and you can put a spatula between the fondant and dummy and start to pry it off, carefully so you don't damage the dummy. HTH.

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 18 Jul 2014 , 8:51am
post #4 of 10

(I take a long time to type - you got your answer twice, hahaha)

Snowflakebunny23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Snowflakebunny23 Posted 18 Jul 2014 , 11:54am
post #5 of 10

i try and carefully slide a butter knife under it to chip off the worst of it then fill my bathtub and stick all of the dummies in there.  it can take a while for it to desolve though :-)

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 18 Jul 2014 , 8:21pm
post #6 of 10

Yeah, the hot water &/or knife treatment is the only way I ever found to work.  It's not easy :(

cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 18 Jul 2014 , 8:29pm
post #7 of 10

I could never get all the fondant off my first dummies without tearing them up horribly, sometimes even after soaking for a while.  Then I tried putting on a thin layer of Crisco on the dummies before the fondant and it really made a big difference.  Now I just toss them in hot water for about 5 minutes and the fondant will slide right off, and the dummies look just like new!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 18 Jul 2014 , 8:56pm
post #8 of 10

dishwasher.  no soap.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 18 Jul 2014 , 10:00pm
post #9 of 10

AShortening, stop using water. Yuch. The fondant will literally peel right off if it's only been a few days since it went on. If it's dried rock solid, put it in a thicker plastic bag (like target bags), and whack on the cake from outside the bag. It will crack neatly off, and you're not weakening your dummy by getting it wet. After awhile, I've found water starts to break down the styro, so I never get mine wet.

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 18 Jul 2014 , 10:01pm
post #10 of 10

If you use the dishwasher [works great], no heat for drying, either.

Next time, massage the dummy with vegetable shortening/crisco/trex  and you'll be able to peel it off.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%