How Do I Deliver A Cake?

Decorating By ellerchick Updated 17 May 2014 , 11:37pm by kakeladi

ellerchick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellerchick Posted 17 May 2014 , 5:51pm
post #1 of 5

In the past I have not assembled wedding cakes until on location, I'll arrive 2 hours early and put the tiers on top of each other and add any last minute piping.  I've watched lots of "cake boss" and they assemble it all at the bakery and cross their fingers it doesn't fall in transit.  What do you do?  do every last touch at your bakery or deliver and set up at the venue.  Thanks for your help!

4 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 17 May 2014 , 7:54pm
post #2 of 5

I'd assemble what I could carry, generally 2 tiers.  Unless the design was such that I had to assemble three.  Then finish onsite.  However, since I use SPS, if I could lift it, I could assemble the whole thing at home, then deliver.  A shoulder injury from a few years ago restricts what I can lift now.

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 17 May 2014 , 10:04pm
post #3 of 5

Just learn how to properly stack a cake, put it in the car and go. You have to drive a little differently - come to a stop very gradually and go slower on some roads.

I promise you -- the people on Cake Boss, don't "cross their fingers". They know how to stack a cake. If you're seeing that on the show, it's about creating drama for ratings. I saw once they dropped a huge cake- what a joke. Lucky the cameras just happened to be there when they were carrying it down the stairs. And don't they have an elevator, anyway?

ellerchick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellerchick Posted 17 May 2014 , 10:13pm
post #4 of 5

howsweet you're totally right, ratings!  Thank you both for your input

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 May 2014 , 11:37pm
post #5 of 5

I've done both ways.  It depends on where it's being delivered; how big; the design etc.

I've had many delivered with NO problems and I've had a few disasters - but they were many years ago.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%