To Dowel Or Not To Dowel?

Decorating By gcgb53191 Updated 13 May 2014 , 6:40pm by whiteangel

gcgb53191 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gcgb53191 Posted 10 May 2014 , 7:33pm
post #1 of 8

AI'm making a medium sized cake for a party next week. It's only two tiers; two 10 inch and 2 6inch layers on too. I will be using fondant so I'm not sure if that'll be too much weight on it or not. I bake purely for a hobby but this is definitely something I don't want to mess up!

Thanks for all your help!

7 replies
kellyk1234 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellyk1234 Posted 10 May 2014 , 10:05pm
post #2 of 8

AYou definitely need to have a support system for any tiered cake, even if it is a small tier on top. I suggest using the SPS system by Bakery crafts. Will save you a lot of headache worrying about the cake collapsing. :)

cupcakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemaker Posted 10 May 2014 , 11:25pm
post #3 of 8

AYes you always need to dowel if you are stacking.

mattyeatscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mattyeatscakes Posted 11 May 2014 , 1:04am
post #4 of 8

AI use bubble tea straws :)

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 11 May 2014 , 1:56am
post #5 of 8

Depending on the recipe used, most 6"ers don't weigh that much so I understand your ? completely :)

To be on the safe side, one can use regular plastic drink straws - just not the bendable ones unless you cut that end off.  And you'll only need 3 pushed into the lger tier in a triangle shape within a 5" circle.  I've done 100s a cakes like that and never had a problem.

sue1947 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sue1947 Posted 11 May 2014 , 7:39am
post #6 of 8

AHi I am doing a 11" roundfruit cake . Then two dummies 9"and 7" Do I need to attatch thin boards to dummies. Or do I need to dowel the dummies so they stay in a fixed position. I also wanted to put a circle of polystyrene inbetween the two dummies.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 12 May 2014 , 6:16pm
post #7 of 8

..........Do I need to attatch thin boards to dummies.
Or do I need to dowel the dummies so they stay in a fixed position. I also wanted to put a circle of polystyrene inbetween the two dummies...................

Aren't dummies polystyrene?  I'm confused as what the dummies are.  If they are styrofoam/polystyrene the only reason you would use a board under them is to keep any styro from fluffing off in the icing.

A good dollop of b'cream icing will hold them in place so dowels are not needed.   IF it will make you feel safer yes, you can run a dowel down the center to help hold them in place but as I said, really icing should hold them.

whiteangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whiteangel Posted 13 May 2014 , 6:40pm
post #8 of 8

I have done a cake with Styrofoam dummies or drums,  between tiers of real cake.  I put a cake board under the Styrofoam  and them dowels through the real cake for support of the small dummies.  If you don't, the cake on top will weigh too much and push down through the real cake below.  I used SPS and it worked wonderfully.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%