Sunshine0063 Posted 4 Mar 2014 , 6:14pm
post #1 of

Before I started decorating cakes and cookies I hadn't purchased a cake from a bakery in about 25 years so a nice cake was 35 - 75 dollars.

  Now when I bake a cake for some one I have a horrible time naming a price. The last cake I made I charged $125 and the woman was thrilled with the price. Did I way under charge? Here's the picture.  http://cdn.cakecentral.com/a/a6/a60fa8c3_P1020223.jpeg

55 replies
AZCouture Posted 4 Mar 2014 , 6:30pm
post #2 of

AWell, naming a price won't get you very far. We don't name prices, we calculate them based on our costs, what time it will take us to do it and what we want to earn per hour (usually). Maybe I took your statement about naming a price too literally, but I get the impression that you're just coming up with a number that sounds good at the moment. :-(

AZCouture Posted 4 Mar 2014 , 6:34pm
post #3 of

AHow big is the cake? Did you supply the characters?

-K8memphis Posted 4 Mar 2014 , 6:49pm
post #4 of

i would charge between $3,50 and $4,50 per serving with serving size of 1x2x4 plus figures here in my area

AZCouture Posted 4 Mar 2014 , 7:44pm
post #5 of

A

Original message sent by -K8memphis

i would charge between $3,50 and $4,50 per serving with serving size of 1x2x4 plus figures here in my area

Another problem with questions like this...skill level. I personally don't think that cake looks worth what was charged. The short tiers, the rough pitted icing, it's not an appealing looking cake to me. But you say the customer was pleased, so who can say whether you ripped her off, or you ripped yourself off. But based on the years I've put in pricing my work, and my standards, that's my observation. These questions are just so hard to answer.

[B]And since you asked, Sunshine, you can't realistically get upset with the answers you might get, unless someone really just wants to stir the pot and be rude. Ok, moving on... [/B]

Godot Posted 4 Mar 2014 , 7:53pm
post #6 of

AActually, I think you probably overcharged.

AnnieCahill Posted 4 Mar 2014 , 7:58pm
post #7 of

I agree.

leah_s Posted 4 Mar 2014 , 8:20pm
post #8 of

ditto

SweetShop5 Posted 4 Mar 2014 , 8:20pm
post #9 of

Quote:

Originally Posted by Godot 

Actually, I think you probably overcharged.

I agree with this.

MimiFix Posted 4 Mar 2014 , 8:23pm

Yeah, I agree, Sunshine. It's a cute cake but looks fairly small; the icing is uneven and pitted throughout. How much were your ingredients and how much did you make per hour?  

Sunshine0063 Posted 4 Mar 2014 , 8:30pm

She supplied the characters, but I made all of the  flowers, rocks, seaweed, coral etc. The cake was 10 inch on the bottom and 6 in on top with vanilla mouse and fresh strawberry filling and white chocolate frosting.

AZCouture Posted 4 Mar 2014 , 8:38pm

ADid you choose those tier sizes based on how many people she wanted to serve? How many servings did she need?

Sunshine0063 Posted 4 Mar 2014 , 8:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZCouture 

Did you choose those tier sizes based on how many people she wanted to serve? How many servings did she need?

Yes she wanted it for 30 according to Wilton's chart a 10 and 6 would serve 39 in wedding slices so she would be able to give a little larger slices plus they were going to have another cake also because her boyfriend has a favorite cake that he was bringing

Sunshine0063 Posted 4 Mar 2014 , 9:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZCouture 


Another problem with questions like this...skill level. I personally don't think that cake looks worth what was charged. The short tiers, the rough pitted icing, it's not an appealing looking cake to me. But you say the customer was pleased, so who can say whether you ripped her off, or you ripped yourself off. But based on the years I've put in pricing my work, and my standards, that's my observation. These questions are just so hard to answer.

And since you asked, Sunshine, you can't realistically get upset with the answers you might get, unless someone really just wants to stir the pot and be rude. Ok, moving on...

in response to the last part of this, I'm not a rude person and I'm not offended by your answer, that's why I posted the question was to get honest answers I could learn from as long as the person answering isn't saying something just to be mean. As far as the icing being pitted it had melted white chocolate that when it touched the cake hardened up. How do I get a smooth finish on it I usually frost the cakes when they are frozen and didn't know this icing would react like this

Godot Posted 4 Mar 2014 , 9:13pm

AThe Wilton chart is for cakes that are four inches tall.

DeniseNH Posted 4 Mar 2014 , 9:17pm

I think that if you got  $125 for a cake that the customer was very please with..................more power to you.   I would have charged $50. because of the roughness of the icing - then again things under the sea are pretty rough :-)  and because of the store-bought figurines (easy).  But I'm truly happy for you.  I really am.

kblickster Posted 4 Mar 2014 , 9:39pm

You probably have 125.00 in materials and labor in the cake, but I agree that the quality is not there to charge 125.00. 

 

I'm glad the customer was happy and equally glad that you got paid a fair amount for your work.

 

I'm not sure what you are saying happened.  Did the texture of the icing change after adding the chocolate?  ~~Did you try to take the icing off and reapply?

nancylee61 Posted 4 Mar 2014 , 10:18pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine0063 
 

in response to the last part of this, I'm not a rude person and I'm not offended by your answer, that's why I posted the question was to get honest answers I could learn from as long as the person answering isn't saying something just to be mean. As far as the icing being pitted it had melted white chocolate that when it touched the cake hardened up. How do I get a smooth finish on it I usually frost the cakes when they are frozen and didn't know this icing would react like this

I'm new to this, too. If you look up my last buttercream cake, it is like my 10th one I am trying to get smooth and it took me about 2 hours!! It's not easy!! 

 

Make cakes over and over, give them away, sign up for the free buttercream class on craftsy (that's where I started, but the ladies here really have helped me because it is not easy!!)  Seriously, getting my degree was easier than getting a buttercream cake smooth! Look up wicked goodies website for great advice on modeling chocolate and her book is great, too. If we want to learn, we have to read, watch videos, ask questions and practice, practice, practice. I make a couple of cakes a week and most of them end up in the trash, because I practice with shortening buttercream and no one in my house will eat it, but it's less expensive that the swiss meringue buttercream and quicker to make.

 

Keep going!! Keep practicing!! I love your colors, I think with some practice your cakes are going to be fabulous!!!

(and asking how much to charge is a hot button issue here. As you found out!) 

MBalaska Posted 4 Mar 2014 , 10:25pm

"Am I charging to little?"

for that cake.. NO.

 

" didn't know this icing would react like this"

experimenting on a Customers cake, without knowledge of how your product will turn out? 8)

maisie73 Posted 4 Mar 2014 , 10:39pm

AHello Sunshine, no idea about cake price cos I'm in the UK and I don't sell (or buy) cakes. I just wanted to tell you I thought your cake looked lovely and if you and your customer were happy with the price that's all that matters really. :-)

-K8memphis Posted 4 Mar 2014 , 10:47pm
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunshine0063 

 

Yes she wanted it for 30 according to Wilton's chart a 10 and 6 would serve 39 in wedding slices so she would be able to give a little larger slices plus they were going to have another cake also because her boyfriend has a favorite cake that he was bringing

 

for this particular cake, the icing texture works with the design--is this a technically correct kerry vincent cake? no--

is it a charming, colorful, well decorated, happy cake that captures passion and personality--yes it sure is--it's just dang cute--shoot me--

 

a 4 inch tall 10x6 will serve 50 according to wilton's wedding cake data chart--i think you could serve 30 nice portions out of that no problem--

 

use more borders on your cakes if you want them to look more precise while you brush up on icing skills--and probably when you put the choco in the icing some of it cooled off and hardened----next time make whipped ganache, use that as is or add that to the icing to prevent that polka dotting--

 

gf, if your client was happy so am i--charge what the market will bear

 

best to you

morganchampagne Posted 4 Mar 2014 , 11:36pm

AYou had a happy customer, so that's the most important part. It is my preference that tiers be taller all of mine are about 5" tall. The icing is a bit rough but truly that could have been passed off as part of the cake...this time. Like others have suggested I'd work on those things...

I think the fondant corals or seaweed are great. Love the sequines across the bottom

Sunshine0063 Posted 4 Mar 2014 , 11:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by kblickster 
 

You probably have 125.00 in materials and labor in the cake, but I agree that the quality is not there to charge 125.00. 

 

I'm glad the customer was happy and equally glad that you got paid a fair amount for your work.

 

I'm not sure what you are saying happened.  Did the texture of the icing change after adding the chocolate?  ~~Did you try to take the icing off and reapply?

no the texture didn't change after I added the chocolate, it was still smooth and fluffy. It was when I started putting it on the cake, I think because the cake was frozen. When I have time I'll try doing the same icing and frozen cake but maybe keep some hot water and towel near to dip my spatula in and see what happens.

Sunshine0063 Posted 4 Mar 2014 , 11:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MBalaska 
 

"Am I charging to little?"

for that cake.. NO.

 

" didn't know this icing would react like this"

experimenting on a Customers cake, without knowledge of how your product will turn out? 8)


I've used this icing before and this is the first time it reacted like this. I like using this because I can usually get a semi smooth look ( which is what I wanted since I was going for an under water cake ) so I didn't want it perfectly smooth but not that rough.

morganchampagne Posted 4 Mar 2014 , 11:52pm

AIm willing to bet it was because it was frozen. when I tried that once at the baker it Iooked just like that

DeniseNH Posted 4 Mar 2014 , 11:57pm

That may be, but heating up a metal offset spatula frequently and going over the icing would smooth it out beautifully.  She mentioned mixing white chocolate into the icing and it possibly solidifying into little pieces.  I wonder if she added it to room temp buttercream while the paddle was moving - to keep incorporate the white chocolate before it had time to solidify.  Or if she beat the tar out of the buttercream on high speeds causing all those holes.

AZCouture Posted 4 Mar 2014 , 11:58pm

A

Original message sent by Sunshine0063

in response to the last part of this, I'm not a rude person and I'm not offended by your answer, that's why I posted the question was to get honest answers I could learn from as long as the person answering isn't saying something just to be mean. As far as the icing being pitted it had melted white chocolate that when it touched the cake hardened up. How do I get a smooth finish on it I usually frost the cakes when they are frozen and didn't know this icing would react like this

I didn't really think you would have a problem with that. It was really more of a disclaimer for the usual comments that come along from other members, insinuating people are being mean, when they're not, in other words, causing trouble where there wasn't any. ;-)

morganchampagne Posted 5 Mar 2014 , 6:55am

AHmmm. You make a.good point Denise. I didnt see that

cakecraftdirect Posted 5 Mar 2014 , 9:42am

Hi, Sorry to highjack your thread, I just wanted to let you know about my new company http://cakecraftdirect.com - 10% off for cakecentral Users., Just enter "lovecakes" in the checkout field.

Thanks . Karen

daniruhman Posted 6 Mar 2014 , 2:36am

AI would say over charged. Especially if they supplied the character.s

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%