Buttercream Between Tiers?

Decorating By catgirl Updated 21 Feb 2014 , 8:25pm by catgirl

catgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catgirl Posted 21 Feb 2014 , 5:56pm
post #1 of 8

AI'm making a three tier fondant covered cake and I'm wondering if I should put buttercream on top of each tier BEFORE I put the next tier on. I've seen Buddy on Cake Boss do it. He has buttercream before he "throws" the next tier on. Any benefits of this or not?

Thx.

7 replies
custard79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
custard79 Posted 21 Feb 2014 , 6:18pm
post #2 of 8

ASometimes I add a small amount if I am not using a cental dowel rod to hold the tiers together. It does help stick the tiers together.

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 21 Feb 2014 , 6:19pm
post #3 of 8

Ummmmmmmmmmmm, what Buddy is doing is to "fill" each tier.  It's to hold each cake together and provide something interesting to bit into in the center of each cake.

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 21 Feb 2014 , 6:22pm
post #4 of 8

ANot sure if you mean tiers or layers. You can fill Layers of cake with buttercream. But you would not want to rely on buttercream to support TIERS.

ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 21 Feb 2014 , 6:23pm
post #5 of 8

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeniseNH 

Ummmmmmmmmmmm, what Buddy is doing is to "fill" each tier.  It's to hold each cake together and provide something interesting to bit into in the center of each cake.

Denise, I think she's referring to using BC as a glue between tiers and not the BC between cake layers. 

it depends on what stacking/support system you are using. For example, if you are using the SPS you don't need that glue, but if you are using straws you might want to use it to reduce slipping. 

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 21 Feb 2014 , 6:29pm
post #6 of 8

Oh dear, now I get it..............read it wrong.  Some do ..................I don't.  6 of one - half dozen of another (as they say).

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 21 Feb 2014 , 7:35pm
post #7 of 8

I don't.  If I'm not using SPS I will take a piece of parchment cut to the tier above and use that so the buttercream doesn't stick.

catgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catgirl Posted 21 Feb 2014 , 8:25pm
post #8 of 8

AThanks so much. I'm not using SPS just a cake board under each tier with dowels to support each tier.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%