All This Talk About Cookie Bouquets Got Me To Thinking

Baking By Lenette Updated 27 Jan 2007 , 3:56am by Lenette

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 24 Jan 2007 , 10:51pm
post #1 of 12

I really don't want to insert dowels into my cookies, for one thing I don't make them very thick. What do you all use? Are there any products out there that gives you the "stick" without inserting the dowel? TIA!

11 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 24 Jan 2007 , 10:53pm
post #2 of 12

you could glue them on the back of the cookie (use lollipop sticks) with either melted chocolate or royal icing.

tayesmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tayesmama Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 5:24am
post #3 of 12

I use skewers. They work fine for me. I've heard of people using the popsicle sticks as well. HTH! thumbs_up.gif

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 5:38am
post #4 of 12

I just made a bunch of cookies and although I did not insert sticks into the cookies (for photography reasons) I glued skewers to the back of them with candy melts (melted, of course) when I assembled the bouquets. Although the glue help beautifully, I don't think I'll do that in the future because the back of them doesn't look very nice, however, I will DEFINITELY use skewers for insertion in all of my future bouquets because:
1. they're food safe
2. they're skinny so I can roll my cookies much thinner
3. they're very strong because they're bamboo
4. they're DIRT cheap! I bought some at GFS....100 for .59!

I must say that I went to GFS in hopes of finding wooden coffee stirrers that a coffee chain (Boston Stoker's) uses....they are long, flat and thin. But, I couldn't find them and bought the skewers instead! Glad I did! They work great!

Tscookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tscookies Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 6:39am
post #5 of 12

I hot glue the stick to the back of the cello bag, then insert the completed cookie into the bag, and then tie a ribbon around the bottom to keep it from falling out. I'm just too afraid I'll poke a hole through a cookie, so I came up w/this workaround.

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 1:21pm
post #6 of 12

Tscookies....that's a very interesting concept! I'll have to try that sometime! Very clever!

vitomiriam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vitomiriam Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 12:29am
post #7 of 12

I do the same thing that TSCookies does except instead of glueing mine on, I tape them to the back with shipping tape. It's clear and wide.

Tscookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tscookies Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 12:41am
post #8 of 12

vitomiriam - I just looked at the seashell centerpieces for your wedding and they are absolutely gorgeous. Congratulations!

I used to use clear duct tape, but unfortunately, I found that with time and humidity (I think that was it?) the tape could come off and then oopsie! I've never had a cookie fall since I started using hot glue - but make sure you use low temp or else you'll burn right thru the bag.

Maybe I was just using the wrong tape - what kind do you use, and has it ever come off for you?

Tug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tug Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 12:52am
post #9 of 12

My girlfriend uses regular wrapping paper tape. The cookies are eaten before there's time for the tape to even think of peeling off (from humidity/age, etc.)

vitomiriam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vitomiriam Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 1:14am
post #10 of 12

Thank you for the compliment TSCookies! The shipping tape I use is Scotch Packaging Tape (High Performance). I've never had a problem with it unsticking and believe me, living in South Florida, we have lots of humidity.

mamaof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamaof3 Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 3:49am
post #11 of 12

I've always used the Wilton sticks. I thought about the bamboo skewers but thought my cookies would be too heavy. I think I may try the hot glue idea.

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 3:56am
post #12 of 12

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I'll try it and see what works for me. I have not attempted this before so I really appreciate the help! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%