Is Luster Dust, Petal Dust, Pearl Dust, Disco Dust ...etc Safe To Eat ?

Decorating By Kailea Updated 1 Feb 2014 , 5:12am by Kailea

Kailea Posted 31 Jan 2014 , 12:38am
post #1 of 9

Can you please tell me if luster, petal , pearl or disco dust is safe to be consumed ? Just a little confused on all the dusts... Thanks again

Christine

8 replies
costumeczar Posted 31 Jan 2014 , 1:56am
post #2 of 9

All of them are non-toxic, but disco dust is plastic glitter so it shouldn't be eaten. luster dust, petal dusts and pearl dusts are also non-toxic but depending on what brand they are they're labelled "not to be consumed".

 

If you want something that's FDA compliant you can get Crystal Colors, which are all FDA approved food colorings. They give you a good saturated color adn there are pearl dusts too. http://www.sugarpaste.com/pearls.htm

LisaBerczel Posted 31 Jan 2014 , 1:59am
post #3 of 9

Short answer..... it depends.

 It's both the KIND and GRADE of colorant and ingredients that make the difference.

 

Many pearls ARE food-grade. They use mica to make the *shimmer*.

 

Glitter/disco-dust are plastic/polymer/laminate and NOT food grade.

 

If you see non-toxic on the label, then it is NOT food-grade and is a cosmetic or craft product.

 

If the label says FDA approved, then there you go!

JWinslow Posted 31 Jan 2014 , 2:07am
post #4 of 9

Global Sugar Art also carries the Crystal Colors (same price) and also FDA approved luster dust (7.99/2.5 grams).  I just received a couple but haven't tried them yet. 

costumeczar Posted 31 Jan 2014 , 3:20am
post #5 of 9

Quote:

Originally Posted by LisaBerczel 
 

Short answer..... it depends.

 It's both the KIND and GRADE of colorant and ingredients that make the difference.

 

Many pearls ARE food-grade. They use mica to make the *shimmer*.

 

Glitter/disco-dust are plastic/polymer/laminate and NOT food grade.

 

If you see non-toxic on the label, then it is NOT food-grade and is a cosmetic or craft product.

 

If the label says FDA approved, then there you go!

Lisa, I love your stuff on Deviantart...

 

I wouldn't chug a bottle of disco dust, but I would eat luster dust on a bet, and I would have no problem with eating FDA approved dusts.

sadiep Posted 31 Jan 2014 , 5:04am
post #6 of 9

"If you see non-toxic on the label, then it is NOT food-grade and is a cosmetic or craft product."

 

I have to admit, I am confused by this topic also! I have a couple dozen dusts, by various producers - GSA, Wilton, CK - but all marketed toward cake decorators, NOT crafters. Some of then say "non-toxic", and most of them do not say FDA approved. I understand disco dust is a problem, but the others (petal, sparkle, pearl)? There are many tutorials out there (on THIS site even) that use, for instance, antique gold, or super pearl, and not just on fondant toppers, which we assume do not get eaten.  Cookies, for instance, that use gold luster dust over RI outlines -  are we saying THESE are not to be eaten???

maybenot Posted 31 Jan 2014 , 7:15am
post #7 of 9

A few years back, no one was making FDA approved petal or luster dusts, people settled for non-toxic. 

 

Elizabeth Parvu of sugarpaste.com was the first to go through the hassle of creating FDA approved dusts [Crystal Colors[. 

 

Now,  the Frys family of thesugarart.com also makes a line of FDA approved dusts.

 

If it's going to be eaten, or it may be eaten, just make sure that you purchase the FDA approved dusts.  Know better, do better.

LisaBerczel Posted 31 Jan 2014 , 4:54pm
post #8 of 9

Quote:

Originally Posted by maybenot 
 

 Know better, do better.

Love this!

Kailea Posted 1 Feb 2014 , 5:12am
post #9 of 9

Thanks everyone for your replies :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%