How To Make A Birdcage Cake

Decorating By annaleescakes Updated 1 Feb 2014 , 8:50pm by morganchampagne

annaleescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annaleescakes Posted 23 Jan 2014 , 6:52pm
post #1 of 8

Hey guys!

I just looooove the birdcage cakes I've been seeing lately, they're so beautiful and feminine!

I know you can stack the cake to the height you want, fill, freeze, and carve in order to get the dome at the top - but I can't stand wasting cake, even if it's scraps :) Not to mention that I don't trust myself to carve an even, proportional dome on the first try!

This might sound completely weird, but I am wondering if it's possible to bake the dome in a ceramic or pyrex bowl, if its the same diameter as the cake pans being used for the rest of the cake. I could carve that dome just a little if it wasn't dome-y enough, but it seems like an easier/less wasteful way to make the dome even?

Oh yeah, I pretty much only work with minis at this point, so it would be around 4", if that makes a difference to anything. Just wondering if anyone has tried this, has any thoughts on the matter or reasons why it wouldn't work, before I make a disaster of things lol. Thanks so much! :)

7 replies
crumbcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crumbcake Posted 23 Jan 2014 , 7:09pm
post #2 of 8

ASure the bowl or half round pans by Wilton also

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 23 Jan 2014 , 7:49pm
post #3 of 8

I used a pyrex bowl to bake the dome section of this one...

Bird Cage Wedding Cake.  This was actually for a 40th birthday party, but I think it would be such a lovely wedding cake that I photographed it for the wedding page of my website before adding the inscription.

annaleescakes Posted 23 Jan 2014 , 10:42pm
post #4 of 8

Thank you both! Also, Relznik, thank you for posting that picture! It turned out really nicely using the pyrex, glad to know it works so well :) Did you have to shape the dome at all after you removed it from the bowl or was it dome-y enough already?

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 24 Jan 2014 , 12:20pm
post #5 of 8

Quote:

Originally Posted by annaleescakes 

Thank you both! Also, Relznik, thank you for posting that picture! It turned out really nicely using the pyrex, glad to know it works so well :) Did you have to shape the dome at all after you removed it from the bowl or was it dome-y enough already?

No, I didn't have to trim or carve at all...  I just covered it (I always use marzipan before covering with sugarpaste). :)

annaleescakes Posted 24 Jan 2014 , 3:42pm
post #6 of 8

Perfect, thank you! :)

cakebaby2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaby2 Posted 1 Feb 2014 , 5:18pm
post #7 of 8

Definately need to try this one its super cute, and annalees yours is gorgeous.

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 1 Feb 2014 , 8:50pm
post #8 of 8

AThere's a really great detailed video by Montreal confections about this bird cage cake on YouTube. She goes into the cake pans she used...she didn't di any carving either

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%