Butter Is Back

Lounge By MBalaska Updated 23 Jan 2014 , 10:06pm by scrumdiddlycakes

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 22 Jan 2014 , 1:28am
post #1 of 13

Butter is Back :o  Americans are eating more butter. Sales are over $2 Billion a year in the U.S. a 65% increase since 2000. The flakeyfake margarines sales are going down. Why?? Cause butter taste good! so says The Wall Street Journal article by Charles Passy.  Doctors are now also altering their opinions on butter being bad for health.   { The pendulum swings again.}

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/butter-is-now-winning-the-fat-wars-2014-01-20

12 replies
Nadiaa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nadiaa Posted 22 Jan 2014 , 2:01am
post #2 of 13

Ha! It's a no brainer that butter is better for you :) I still get gobsmacked that it was ever pushed on people that consuming hydrogenated trans fats is so much more healthy. Really? Lol! I'm a butter fan :) 

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 22 Jan 2014 , 2:04am
post #3 of 13

AYay! People are finally getting over this idiotic notion that fat makes you fat, and should be replaced with spreadable plastic.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 22 Jan 2014 , 2:27am
post #4 of 13

I can't believe I ever liked the taste of margarine, like LOVED it. Straight up amazes me today.

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 22 Jan 2014 , 3:05am
post #5 of 13

Ha!  Butter never left my house :-D     I always thought margarine tasted weird.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 22 Jan 2014 , 3:09am
post #6 of 13

Maybe the full butter content in the Swiss Meringue ButterCream is why everyone I bake for now loves it to death.  I used to make a nice fluffy American ButterCream with half butter and half Hi Ratio Shortening.  And that was leaps and bounds above all shortening BC.

Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 22 Jan 2014 , 6:03am
post #7 of 13

AWhat butter is back? At myhouse, butter never left.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 22 Jan 2014 , 6:24am
post #8 of 13

I don't think my mother has ever bought a stick of butter in her life. And her mother would never be caught dead with margarine. I like both, for different applications. Butter in baked goods, margarine on vegetables. I remember mom going on and on how butter is so bad for you, haha. It didn't seem right to me though.

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 22 Jan 2014 , 5:17pm
post #9 of 13

However combining it with sugar is another story. Now that they know inflammation and a diet high in sugar causes heart disease,  don't forget that dairy is inflammatory and not all butter is created equal.

LTerry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LTerry Posted 23 Jan 2014 , 7:11pm
post #10 of 13

I have tried all butter, half butter and half shortening, and all shortening buttercream recipes, I definitely prefer the taste of all butter.  Recently I made a fudge chocolate frosting for my daughters graduation, I used all butter, the frosting was out of this world amazing as far as taste, but I had a problem with using it to pipe a rose swirl design.  It got a bit stringy, and I had to continuously put it in and out of the fridge.  I finally finished the piping but it was very frustrating.  Does anyone have any advice to keep the frosting from becoming stringy?  I did get rave reviews about the taste of the frosting, everyone said it was the best cake they have ever had, so I definitely want to continue using the all butter recipe.

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 23 Jan 2014 , 7:19pm
post #11 of 13

There's no reason that you must use the same icing for the roses.

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 23 Jan 2014 , 9:45pm
post #12 of 13

Quote:

Originally Posted by LTerry 

I have tried all butter, half butter and half shortening, and all shortening buttercream recipes, I definitely prefer the taste of all butter.  Recently I made a fudge chocolate frosting for my daughters graduation, I used all butter, the frosting was out of this world amazing as far as taste, but I had a problem with using it to pipe a rose swirl design.  It got a bit stringy, and I had to continuously put it in and out of the fridge.  I finally finished the piping but it was very frustrating.  Does anyone have any advice to keep the frosting from becoming stringy?  I did get rave reviews about the taste of the frosting, everyone said it was the best cake they have ever had, so I definitely want to continue using the all butter recipe.

You'll probably need to post the recipe.

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 23 Jan 2014 , 10:06pm
post #13 of 13

Quote:

Originally Posted by howsweet 

There's no reason that you must use the same icing for the roses.

I took it to mean the cake was covered in those star tip swirls, not just a few roses.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%