Need Help ......... Urgently! Lol

Decorating By Lea17 Updated 11 Jan 2014 , 9:01am by Lea17

Lea17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lea17 Posted 10 Jan 2014 , 5:42pm
post #1 of 11

I have to make a 12" chocolate madeira cake and I'm worried I'm not going to be able to mix it all properly in my mixer.  I struggled big time when I had to make a 12" fruit cake.  I have a kenwood prospero which the bowl has a 4.3L compacity ......... has anyone got any advice they can share with me??  I was thinking of halving the mixture as it is a 12 egg mix and making in 2 batches???

Hope someone can help me lol :)

10 replies
as you wish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
as you wish Posted 10 Jan 2014 , 8:21pm
post #2 of 11

AI think halving the recipe and doing it in two batches sounds like a good plan. That's what I would do!

Lea17 Posted 10 Jan 2014 , 9:02pm
post #3 of 11

AGreat! Thats what I was hoping lol

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 10 Jan 2014 , 9:17pm
post #4 of 11

Yes, as previous post said, you can do it in two batches.  However, another tip is to bake it in two halves, too.  Just make up half the mix (or slightly more than half, actually) and bake.

Then do the same again.

I just find that the cakes don't rise as well when it's a big one like a 12"....  and the corners get done way before the centre....

Suzanne x

Lea17 Posted 10 Jan 2014 , 9:40pm
post #5 of 11

A

Original message sent by Relznik

Yes, as previous post said, you can do it in two batches.  However, another tip is to bake it in two halves, too.  Just make up half the mix (or slightly more than half, actually) and bake.

Then do the same again.

I just find that the cakes don't rise as well when it's a big one like a 12"....  and the corners get done way before the centre....

Suzanne x

So would u suggest I bake 2 cakes and stack rather than 1 massive sponge mix?

as you wish Posted 10 Jan 2014 , 9:48pm
post #6 of 11

AT

Original message sent by Lea17

So would u suggest I bake 2 cakes and stack rather than 1 massive sponge mix?

That was what I thought you meant when you said you were thinking of making it in two batches. It makes sense, I think, to bake it as two separate cakes and stack them rather than one big one.

Lea17 Posted 10 Jan 2014 , 9:53pm
post #7 of 11

AOps lol I confuse myself sometimes when im in flap haha.. sorry! The recipe says to bake it as one cake but 1) I know my mixer wont take a 12 egg mix lol and 2) I am slightly worried about cooking a massive cake lol

as you wish Posted 10 Jan 2014 , 10:02pm
post #8 of 11

ADoing it as two should work just fine, possibly better!

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 10 Jan 2014 , 10:33pm
post #9 of 11

I agree, two batches and two cakes.  You'll love this method.  Much less stressful, wondering if the center is cooked.or mushy.

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 11 Jan 2014 , 12:43am
post #10 of 11

Yes, bake two cakes and then stack.

I did that yesterday with the 8" cake!!!  I just prefer it for square cakes and larger round cakes.

I cut each cake through, so that in total you have 4 layers of cake and 3 layers of filling (1 layer of filling in one cake, one layer of filling in another cake and 1 layer of filling to secure the two halves together!!)

Lea17 Posted 11 Jan 2014 , 9:01am
post #11 of 11

AThank you everybody for your help :)) much appreciated!! Xx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%