Sedona Cakes Lace Cake

Decorating By niccicola Updated 22 Apr 2014 , 7:19am by JWinslow

niccicola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niccicola Posted 6 Jan 2014 , 4:24pm
post #1 of 11

I am wondering how to go about executing the lace detail on this cake. Is it royal icing? cut-out fondant? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

http://isa2.stylemepretty.com/wp-content/submissions/uploads/[email protected]/10714/sedonabride-pbg-shoot-k-5573$!400x.jpg

10 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 6 Jan 2014 , 4:38pm
post #2 of 11

i'm gonna guess sugarveil alone or sugarveil plus overpiped fondant pieces

niccicola Posted 6 Jan 2014 , 4:45pm
post #3 of 11

I came across "Crystal Lace" in my research (similar to SugarVeil) and it appears that it may have come from an assortment of their molds. I am not 100% on that though.

I have an inquiry into Sedona Cake Couture on the off chance that they are willing to point me into a direction.

Thanks!

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 6 Jan 2014 , 7:35pm
post #4 of 11

I darkened the picture so you could see the detail:

niccicola Posted 6 Jan 2014 , 8:43pm
post #5 of 11

Awesome!! Thank you SO much!

Andrea @ Sedona Cakes replied:

Well, that cake was hand piped with royal icing and a number 2 tip.....just made up the design as I went. No other secrets to it. Good luck in replicating it.....and be sure to charge enough - it took a long time to pipe that design!!

So, yeah...WOW! Hand piped? Sheesh, I mean, I know I have some talent but not near enough to feel confident in recreating her design.

Back to the drawing board. :)

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 6 Jan 2014 , 9:29pm
post #6 of 11

AYou can get lace cut outs, that you apply and then pipe small lines of royal to 'connect'. its extremely simple, albeit time consuming. http://www.brides.com/blogs/aisle-say/2011/04/lace-wedding-cake.html That is how the lace on this one was done. A bit of over piping on the cut outs adds a lot to the realism as well, but still way easier than completely hand piping.

niccicola Posted 6 Jan 2014 , 9:36pm
post #7 of 11

Yeah, I think I am going to end up going the route of pulling together a bunch of different cut-outs and silicone molds, then over-piping (I am doing some online shopping/research as we speak). Time consuming, yes, but I think it's the only way to pull it off. My free hand skills aren't where they should be if I were to wing it.

Thankfully, I have until May 25 to get everything together (technically, a week before then since that is her wedding day, but you get the gist).

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 6 Jan 2014 , 9:56pm
post #8 of 11

Quote:

Originally Posted by niccicola 

Yeah, I think I am going to end up going the route of pulling together a bunch of different cut-outs and silicone molds, then over-piping (I am doing some online shopping/research as we speak). Time consuming, yes, but I think it's the only way to pull it off. My free hand skills aren't where they should be if I were to wing it.

Thankfully, I have until May 25 to get everything together (technically, a week before then since that is her wedding day, but you get the gist).

As long as you mentioned Crystal Lace, have you been to  http://www.allaboutcakeart.com/catalog.php?category=6

They have some very pretty mats.  You could cut the finished sugar lace apart just overpipe the pieces.   Just another alternative - Love the cake :)

niccicola Posted 6 Jan 2014 , 9:59pm
post #9 of 11

PERFECT!! Thanks...I am currently browsing Ebay, CKproducts, and Decorate The Cake.

I also found "Cake Lace" which is just like SugarVeil or Crystal Lace, except you bake it!! What??? I am not fond of buying out of country simply because of shipping costs, but I like the idea of baking the lace molds, which takes 10-20 minutes as opposed to waiting for it to dry over a few hours before being able to do repeat that mold again.

caketinsmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caketinsmith Posted 21 Apr 2014 , 6:08pm
post #10 of 11

Hello everyone ,

Karens Edible Cake Lace is the new product in the market which is very good interms of prices and quality.

Edible Cake Lace - 500 Grams - White Premium Quality ( 2 Part Formulation Powder + Liquid) = £ 13.99

Edible Cake Lace - 200 Grams - Silver Premium Quality ( Premix ) = £ 13.99

Edible Cake Lace - 200 Grams - Gold Premium Quality ( Premix ) = £ 13.99

Lace Mats from £ 7 

The mixture will make soft paste which can be spread onto the pattern Lace Mats and let it dry .
Drying can be done at the normal temperature or using the oven for faster curing.
Once dried the Edible Lace can be peeled from the lace mat and can be used to decorate the cakes giving it a stylish and creative look. 
The Edible Cake Lace is soft , flexible and pliable.
The Edible Cake Lace have been made to the highest British Quality.

For more information

www.ediblecakelace.co.uk

www.facebook.com/ediblecakelace

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 22 Apr 2014 , 7:19am
post #11 of 11

Caketinsmith is a spammer and showing up in many threads - Flag her posts so the Mods see it

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%