How Do I Make A Gumpaste Cherry For The Top Of A Giant Cupcake?

Decorating By jswartz100 Updated 20 Nov 2013 , 12:34pm by RosieCakeDiva

jswartz100 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jswartz100 Posted 19 Nov 2013 , 3:07pm
post #1 of 8

Hello!

I'm making an oversized cupcake (smash cake) for a 1 year olds birthday. I want to put a red cherry on the top of it with a green stem. I'm thinking gumpaste is the better option over fondant because I don't care about eating that, I just want it to be hard.

Can anyone offer advice on how to make the stem and small leaf stand up? I was considering wrapping the gumpaste around a toothpick and inserting it into the cherry to hold up the stem. Any ideas?

Also, I've had problems with gumpaste cracking when it drys so then I end up with figures that have small cracks on them. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Jen

7 replies
nuzhat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nuzhat Posted 19 Nov 2013 , 3:20pm
post #2 of 8

AHi Jen. Think you would want the stem to be a little curved? Make a stem and curl it around a small fondant roller or around another circular, small diameter object. Dunno if im coming across properly lol. Use the toothpick or florist wire only at the end, so you can attach it to the cherry. Your gumpaste could be cracking because you might be using too much tylose or cmc in the fondant? Hope that helps

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 19 Nov 2013 , 4:06pm
post #3 of 8

i would never use a toothpick or wire in a cake for a one year old--i would use marzipan for the cherry and you can make a nice stem out of any of it, modeling choco, gum paste, fondant, marzipan-

i mean that might be the first thing the kid will grab--the cute little 'handle'

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 19 Nov 2013 , 4:09pm
post #4 of 8

so you just make the stem in advance and let it dry and it will be fine--make several in case of breakage--just roll a 'sausage' and let it dry and you can pick it up and stick it in the cherry 

you could even use royal icing for the stem and the cherry

fancy fondant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fancy fondant Posted 19 Nov 2013 , 9:31pm
post #5 of 8

AWhy don't you use jelly candy (not sure how else to explain it) in the uk we have jelly laces strawberry, green apple or cola which are thin laces that you can bend then leave out for a couple of days to dry perhaps you have similar I wouldn't use wire or sticks either in a child's cake. Hope it goes well for you. Btw trex or white veg fat softens crams if you rub it in gently with you finger.

dukeswalker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dukeswalker Posted 19 Nov 2013 , 9:48pm
post #6 of 8

Two minions and a cake - thank you to all the cc'ers before me for creating such a CUTE cake!! The minions are 6in rounds, with a 1/2 ball pan on top.  I used SPS plates as dividers but used a dremel to reduce the size of the SPS plates.  The square is a 6in as well.  Diamond Plate impression mat on the cake base

made one for my Minions cake... I just used red fondant for the cherry and made a teeny hole for the stem, then made the stem out of brown/black fondant and placed it in the hole with a dab of fondant glue once everything was dry.

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 20 Nov 2013 , 8:06am
post #7 of 8

I would also not use gumpaste.  Although edible,  it really isn't palatable - especially after it dries hard.  Fondant or even a 50/50 mix should work if you don't have modeling.  I like all the ideas about using other candy for the stem. Whatever you decide just keep the safety of the 1yr up front in your mind and you will be fine.

RosieCakeDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RosieCakeDiva Posted 20 Nov 2013 , 12:34pm
post #8 of 8

Have you tried pastillage? If you want something to stand stiff....pastillage will do the job and remain edible. I too would try not to use a cocktail stick if possible...and it would definitely look better if you could curve the stem a touch.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%