Does anyone know how to do this perfect GOLD covered OREOS ???

Baking By jackiee70 Updated 21 Nov 2013 , 7:30pm by karess

jackiee70 Posted 14 Nov 2013 , 2:07am
post #1 of 33
32 replies
texas_mom Posted 14 Nov 2013 , 2:24am
post #2 of 33

They may have used this special pan and then covered them in edible gold paint.

GeminiRJ Posted 14 Nov 2013 , 4:28pm
post #3 of 33

The best place to buy Oreo molds is SpinningLeaf, IMO. Check out all their products on-line. Love them! I have the mold they used to make the ones in your photo. As texasmom said, it would then have to be covered with edible paint (there's a spray that would be ideal).

howsweet Posted 14 Nov 2013 , 10:56pm
post #4 of 33

You know of an edible spray that produces a finish like that photo?

morganchampagne Posted 14 Nov 2013 , 11:06pm
post #5 of 33

AWould gold airbrush color not produce that look?

AZCouture Posted 14 Nov 2013 , 11:45pm
post #6 of 33

No, airbrushing only gets you so much gleam, and I'm actually betting that is not an edible finish.

MBalaska Posted 14 Nov 2013 , 11:58pm
post #7 of 33

those look like plastic hockey pucks, very Pretty shiny ones, but Not appetizing.

They just don't look like chocolate covered Oreos, which are very appetizing.

JWinslow Posted 15 Nov 2013 , 8:31pm
post #10 of 33

As far as I know the only edible spray that gives that shine is a product called Esslack from Germany.  I don't think it's available in the states but if someone finds it let me know.

texas_mom Posted 16 Nov 2013 , 5:46am
post #12 of 33

I used "Duff Goldman" gold air brush color but I did not get the gold color I was looking for. So I mixed some orange and yellow into it and actually got the color I was looking for.  But I brushed the color on I did not spray it on.

SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 16 Nov 2013 , 6:28am
post #13 of 33

AThose appear to be done with the disco dust brushed onto the chocolate that has been wet with water. I found some videos on You Tube to show how to do it.

In this video the person wets the chocolate, then brushes disco dust onto the chocolate. All the glitter falls off, so I wonder if disco dust has luster dust mixed in with the glitter. Perhaps it is better to use the wet method with the luster dust.

Here is another one that uses disco dust and water.

(Personally, I would not want to consume disco dust, so I would probably try the luster dust, though maybe that is not much safer.)

This person just dry brushes luster dust directly onto the chocolate.

Here is the mold for the cookies.

Here is a mini sized mold.

SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 16 Nov 2013 , 6:49am
post #14 of 33

AI just watched the second video again, this time to the end. She also shows using luster dust with water and it looks pretty good.

texas_mom Posted 17 Nov 2013 , 12:34am
post #15 of 33

I have always heard that Pixy Dust and Disco Dust are not edible and that it says so on the label...does anyone know if this is true ?

AZCouture Posted 17 Nov 2013 , 3:24am
post #16 of 33


Original message sent by texas_mom

I have always heard that Pixy Dust and Disco Dust are not edible and that it says so on the label...does anyone know if this is true ?

You betcha. The only difference between disco and the glitter you buy at a hobby shop is that disco is just cut finer. Same plastic glitter, just thinner.

morganchampagne Posted 17 Nov 2013 , 5:53am
post #17 of 33

AIt's so scary because I bought a jar of that stuff at the cake decorating store assuming it was edible. I mean it was in the cake store after all!! Luckily I had seen a post about it here before I gave it to a customer

Godot Posted 17 Nov 2013 , 6:42am
post #18 of 33

AI bought floristry wire and tape at the cake decorating store. Should I then assume that it was edible? I mean , it was in the cake store after all!

I, as a consumer, have a responsibility to actually READ the label and find out for myself what is edible vs non-toxic.

morganchampagne Posted 17 Nov 2013 , 6:54am
post #19 of 33

ARight. I didnt say tht it was anybody elses fault but mine. I was just saying my thought process.

morganchampagne Posted 17 Nov 2013 , 8:23am
post #21 of 33

AThanks!!!! This wasnt recent when I bought this though. This was about a year ago when I first started taking decorating seriously and I didnt know anything about anything lol

howsweet Posted 17 Nov 2013 , 6:43pm
post #23 of 33

I also talked to a company who sells edible real gold spray. When pressed for info about what it looks like sprayed, they said it wasn't very shiny.  If I wanted shiny, they said I should by their gold leaf.

JWinslow Posted 17 Nov 2013 , 6:49pm
post #24 of 33

I contacted "O" Pops by Angie but I am not optimistic about an answer because they don't reply to anyone on their FB page.  I let you know if anyone messages me back.

AnnieCahill Posted 19 Nov 2013 , 5:01pm
post #27 of 33

Guys, if Play-Doh is cheaper than the fondant I use, I'm just going to use that instead.  If it's safe enough for kids to eat, it's safe enough for friends and family!  Plus, they have SO many colors, even some fun ones with glitter.  Cake decorating just got so much more awesomer.

Brooks321 Posted 20 Nov 2013 , 10:23pm
post #29 of 33

this is very similar to using a spray coating

Annabakescakes Posted 21 Nov 2013 , 1:14am
post #30 of 33

AThose look incredibly unappealing to me. Not like food at all. I am officially over the "bling" look and these "cookies" are solely responsible.

Quote by @%username% on %date%