Kakeesha Posted 24 Sep 2013 , 3:59am
post #1 of

Try as I might when placing equal amounts of cake batter in my pans,it is always higher one side than the other.Is there a trick to this.Thank you

12 replies
AZCouture Posted 24 Sep 2013 , 4:15am
post #2 of

AYou mean when they come out of the oven? Sounds like your oven is sitting crooked, or your racks aren't all the way in straight.

Krypto Posted 24 Sep 2013 , 4:15am
post #3 of

AWeigh your pans.

AZCouture Posted 24 Sep 2013 , 4:42am
post #4 of

A

Original message sent by Krypto

Weigh your pans.

Oh, I read herccomplaint as the cake is rising higher on one side of the pan.

Kakeesha Posted 24 Sep 2013 , 5:09am
post #5 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCouture 

Oh, I read herccomplaint as the cake is rising higher on one side of the pan.

Yes I never seem to get the uncooked batter,level,they bake lopsided

Kakeesha Posted 24 Sep 2013 , 5:14am
post #6 of

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZCouture 

You mean when they come out of the oven? Sounds like your oven is sitting crooked, or your racks aren't all the way in straight.

I never gave thought to this, I keep thinking it is me not spreading level to start with.I have a fan forced oven and am noticing one side is cooking quicker than the other

maybenot Posted 24 Sep 2013 , 7:22pm
post #7 of

If you have a convection/"fan forced oven" and your batter is light, the fan is blowing the batter and making one side thinner and the other side higher/thicker.

http://bakingsos.com/blog/?p=691

If you can turn off the fan, I think you'll be happier with the results.

Kakeesha Posted 25 Sep 2013 , 2:01am
post #8 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by maybenot 

If you have a convection/"fan forced oven" and your batter is light, the fan is blowing the batter and making one side thinner and the other side higher/thicker.

http://bakingsos.com/blog/?p=691

If you can turn off the fan, I think you'll be happier with the results.

Goodness me,now that really could be it,sadly though I cannot turn off the fan.I have been noticing more as I have been practising using small amounts of batter for a rainbow cake.When I fill I will have to level then.Thank you for the link.

maybenot Posted 25 Sep 2013 , 2:36am
post #9 of

My best suggestion would be to try to collar the pan so that the air has less effect on the surface of the batter????  I don't know if it will work, but it might be worth a try.

good luck

BrandisBaked Posted 25 Sep 2013 , 2:53am

ATurn the Pan half way through baking.

Kakeesha Posted 25 Sep 2013 , 4:38am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrandisBaked 

Turn the Pan half way through baking.

I always thought with sponge you should not open the oven,but I will try anything

What is collar the pan
Hrudhi Posted 25 Sep 2013 , 11:48am

my oven is a little crooked; so 15 min into baking I turn my cake once to the exact opposite position and it helps a lot (though not a perfect cake, but better). 

Kakeesha Posted 26 Sep 2013 , 12:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hrudhi 

my oven is a little crooked; so 15 min into baking I turn my cake once to the exact opposite position and it helps a lot (though not a perfect cake, but better). 

Yes if I try all suggestions something will improve,I see you are from Australia too

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%