MBalaska Posted 7 Sep 2013 , 11:42pm
post #1 of

Safety Hunting Hat & pup with safety Scarf on.

The amazing skills of the modelers on CC are growing in my estimation after this experience.

I'm making the 'camo' cake so decided to add a little something on the top. They are drying on a paper plate.  It took me almost two hours to do this.   How do you do it??

30 replies
BatterUpCake Posted 8 Sep 2013 , 12:27am
post #2 of

I'm sure you'll get faster with practice! Really cute ;-D

Nadiaa Posted 8 Sep 2013 , 12:49am
post #3 of

They are very cute! I imagine it's just practice. And I think the more you model, the more you get faster at those basic shapes that are the foundation of most images. Then it's just a matter of building on those. But, I am not a modeller, so this is just a guess :) 

MBalaska Posted 8 Sep 2013 , 1:17am
post #4 of

Thanks for encouragement BatterUpCake & Nadiaa.  Would have never even attempted this simple plain item without reading threads, tutorials, & vids recommended in CC.

 

It would be nice if several of the modelers would post some of their beautiful items, & hear their stories.

I'll bet they are pottery artist, or clay modeling experts.

sixinarow Posted 8 Sep 2013 , 1:21am
post #5 of

Quote:

Originally Posted by MBalaska 
 

Thanks for encouragement BatterUpCake & Nadiaa.  Would have never even attempted this simple plain item without reading threads, tutorials, & vids recommended in CC.

 

It would be nice if several of the modelers would post some of their beautiful items, & hear their stories.

I'll bet they are pottery artist, or clay modeling experts.

 

Message howsweet -- have you seen her work? She's amazeballs.

BatterUpCake Posted 8 Sep 2013 , 1:26am
post #6 of

Quote:

Originally Posted by sixinarow 
 

 amazeballs. LMAO

Cakespirations Posted 8 Sep 2013 , 1:50am
post #7 of

Quote:

Originally Posted by BatterUpCake 
 

I'm sure you'll get faster with practice! Really cute ;-D

 

^ Yup :) awesome job BTW

JWinslow Posted 8 Sep 2013 , 2:51am
post #8 of

MBalaska, I haven't modeled any animals yet but I just wanted you to know I thought yours were very cute! 

cazza1 Posted 8 Sep 2013 , 3:08am
post #9 of

MB modelling is like any cake decorating skill (or any life skill for that matter).  The more you practise the quicker you will get.  If you are new to it don't stress too much about the time but enjoy the experience and the results.  The rest will come with time.

MBalaska Posted 8 Sep 2013 , 3:39am

Good to hear encouragement. Thank You. Here's the cake.

camo cake with fondant puppy & hat.  First error was using SMBC, should have used AMBC.  The icing wouldn't press down smooth, it just got sticky.  Live & learn.  I'll try it again later. Actually I don't want to eat this, it's too ugly.  I just want to put it in the wash machine with some Tide detergent.

I'm thinking there won't be anygorgeous Cazza1 dragons, in my immediate future. Yours is awesome!!

JWinslow Posted 8 Sep 2013 , 4:46am

Your caption under the cake is too funny - washing machine indeed!  Even if you don't like the look it will be delicious, I'm sure.  Like animals, I can't speak to doing camo but my first attempt might be with icing images - lol  

manicgeisha Posted 8 Sep 2013 , 6:14am

LOL @ the caption.

 

 

My reading skills suck when I'm tired were you using fondant?


...I used to love to sculpt clay and even pumpkins.   Sugar doughs are way more challenging though.    And for petes sake the amount of time it takes, it does get better but I know realistically I should charge $100 per cake topper.   Honestly, your toppers look nice!

cazza1 Posted 8 Sep 2013 , 6:30am

MB that dragon was a labour of love for my Dad.  The scales alone took me 4 hours to put on and then the tail was far too long and I chopped off about 2 hours worth of scales.  Try modelling some figures whilst following instructions.  It's much easier to learn that way.  When I did the dragon I had half a dozen web pages open with different dragons that I liked and made it up as I went along so it took me nearly forever.  Fortunately Dad was 80 so I had plenty of time!!!

MBalaska Posted 8 Sep 2013 , 6:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by manicgeisha 
 

LOL @ the caption.  ** Thanks. you understood. :razz:

 

My reading skills suck when I'm tired were you using fondant?  **Yes, homemade M F Fondant & Tylose.  Got to try gumpaste!
 

...I used to love to sculpt clay and even pumpkins.   Sugar doughs are way more challenging though.    And for petes sake the amount of time it takes, it does get better but I know realistically I should charge $100 per cake topper.....

** agreed $$$$$ cha-ching

Your training shows! Your skills are so well translated to sugar dough.  Your sculpted models are so interesting and eye catching.

MBalaska Posted 8 Sep 2013 , 6:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by cazza1 
 

MB that dragon was a labour of love for my Dad.  The scales alone took me 4 hours to put on and then the tail was far too long and I chopped off about 2 hours worth of scales.  Try modelling some figures whilst following instructions.  It's much easier to learn that way.  When I did the dragon I had half a dozen web pages open with different dragons that I liked and made it up as I went along so it took me nearly forever.  Fortunately Dad was 80 so I had plenty of time!!!

Well, it all paid off..... it's a wonderful draco.  I got a book on making animals and they had everything but bears & dogs......the two things I'd use most up here.

You do make sense, when you say look at web pages.  Looking at photos to get dimensions, and proper shapes, makes sense.

manicgeisha Posted 8 Sep 2013 , 5:28pm

Thanks MBalaska! :)

Gumpaste helps for figures that have height.   I also find the absolute best for modelling is Wilton fondant.  You want it to be kind of dry, LOL.   If my fondant is too soft and nice, I add a bunch of cornstarch.  My second best thing I've learned for working with the fondant is to let everything firm, every step of the way.   It just get so soft and mushy when I try to work with it.   Its so humid where I am so it can take me about 1 week to make one figure but I just want to be able to handle the pieces without mushing them with my fingers when I put them together.      

My art teacher told me years ago that if you can draw it, you can sculpt it.   It helps to really see something, and sketch it out before starting.   Or using pictures!   

MBalaska Posted 8 Sep 2013 , 6:48pm

"letting it dry every step of the way." is good to know. The puppy had started with his rump & hind legs kinda higher up, but when I was done & letting it dry..........he looked like he'd been on 'slim fast' for a month.  Gravity brought it all down & it looked like he shrank.

 

Can't believe I missed the use of cornstarch.......I rarely use it to roll out fondant any more. Because.....it dries everything out & firms it up.......... Boy did my mind disengage with this modeling project.

 

Wilton fondant, yes.  It does smell like 'clay doh' so it would be perfect wouldn't it. :P  It is also readily available at my local craft store.

For myself and a hundred other people who may read your information at a later date. Thank You.

manicgeisha Posted 8 Sep 2013 , 7:50pm

Your welcome!   :)

 

Yeah, letting it firm up is really my secret to keeping things looking tidy and like I intended!  I used to get so frustrated when I tried to add eyes right away and would have a misshapen head from over-handling warm fondant.    I have some funny photos of the differences...lets see:

 



This is my first and second fondant human figure.   No tylose or gumpaste used, just straight up Wilton fondant.    Only difference on the right, I let the pieces firm and harden some (not completely because its just way too humid here for fondant to ever dry out entirely) for the Rapunzel on the right.   Both chameleons were left to firm before assembling so there isn't any difference there.  My first person still makes me laugh.   Haha, a bit of an ugly duckling!

 

 

cakealicious7 Posted 8 Sep 2013 , 8:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MBalaska 
 

Good to hear encouragement. Thank You. Here's the cake.

camo cake with fondant puppy & hat.  First error was using SMBC, should have used AMBC.  The icing wouldn't press down smooth, it just got sticky.  Live & learn.  I'll try it again later. Actually I don't want to eat this, it's too ugly.  I just want to put it in the wash machine with some Tide detergent.

I'm thinking there won't be anygorgeous Cazza1 dragons, in my immediate future. Yours is awesome!!

 

Well done!! Cool cake, the figures are so cute!!!

howsweet Posted 9 Sep 2013 , 2:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by sixinarow 
 

 

Message howsweet -- have you seen her work? She's amazeballs.

Are you talking to me? Your going to make me blush! Thanks! :D

 

Y'all really don't want anyone to eat old dried up fondant anyway, do you? If not, there's no reason not to just mix in tylose or use real gumpaste. I prefer fondant/tylose because it's easier to work with. Once in a while, something needs to dry overnight before going on to the next step, like a shoe sole or something huge, but making figures - I usually do all at once, and it's very humid where I live.

MBalaska Posted 9 Sep 2013 , 2:54am

howsweet: Thanks.....appreciate any info that can be shared.  Your cakes are beautiful, your multi-color flower one especially.

 

Modeling gives such a completely different dimension to cakes, way diff than piping icing.

Figuring that no one would eat the puppy, I put an inch of spaghetti in his head to help hold it up. (read that from someone's thread earlier.) I guess it worked as it stay on.

sixinarow Posted 9 Sep 2013 , 2:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by howsweet 
 

Are you talking to me? Your going to make me blush! Thanks! :D

 

Y'all really don't want anyone to eat old dried up fondant anyway, do you? If not, there's no reason not to just mix in tylose or use real gumpaste. I prefer fondant/tylose because it's easier to work with. Once in a while, something needs to dry overnight before going on to the next step, like a shoe sole or something huge, but making figures - I usually do all at once, and it's very humid where I live.

 

Uh yeah...have you seen your work? 

:wink:

Your sculpting on your cakes are so incredibly realistic - that horror movie cake was...just wow!

howsweet Posted 9 Sep 2013 , 3:30am
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixinarow 
 

 

Uh yeah...have you seen your work? 

:wink:

Your sculpting on your cakes are so incredibly realistic - that horror movie cake was...just wow!

Ohhhh...I was wondering where you saw any of my work. Most of the pics that I've posted are mine, but pretty much none of them involve sculpting. I can sculpt, but I did not sculpt that face. I used a mask to form a fondant mask, painted and stuck cake in there!

 

Also, I got a pm - just fyi that dragon cake is not mine. That is not my photo gallery - that's photo's I've posted (embedded). I have no idea why cake central does that because it confuses people. All of those cakes are mine, except the John Deer and the dragon.

 

This is an example of modeling I did. I only do simple stuff like this

 

 

I sculpted this cake for my daughter a long time ago. Not sure why I thought it was a good idea to only do half a honey pot!

 

howsweet Posted 9 Sep 2013 , 3:33am

And most everything I learned was from Debbie Brown. She sells books and travels the globe giving classes.

sixinarow Posted 9 Sep 2013 , 3:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by howsweet 
 

Ohhhh...I was wondering where you saw any of my work. Most of the pics that I've posted are mine, but pretty much none of them involve sculpting. I can sculpt, but I did not sculpt that face. I used a mask to form a fondant mask, painted and stuck cake in there!

 

Also, I got a pm - just fyi that dragon cake is not mine. That is not my photo gallery - that's photo's I've posted (embedded). I have no idea why cake central does that because it confuses people. All of those cakes are mine, except the John Deer and the dragon.

 

This is an example of modeling I did. I only do simple stuff like this

 

 

I sculpted this cake for my daughter a long time ago. Not sure why I thought it was a good idea to only do half a honey pot!

 

 

Yup..amazeballs. The thing I liked most about your horror cake was the hands, your clean details ROCK -even if you did use a mask to mold the face, you still painted the details. Only an artist can do that!

sixinarow Posted 9 Sep 2013 , 3:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by howsweet 
 

And most everything I learned was from Debbie Brown. She sells books and travels the globe giving classes.

 

I'll have to look for her books, I love learning new tips for any technique. Caking is good for my OCD. 

:-D

Nadiaa Posted 9 Sep 2013 , 3:40am

Simple stuff?? SIMPLE STUFF??? I pray for the day I can do work like yours and call it simple. LOL!!!!! Incredible. 

howsweet Posted 9 Sep 2013 , 3:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by sixinarow 
 

 

Yup..amazeballs. The thing I liked most about your horror cake was the hands, your clean details ROCK -even if you did use a mask to mold the face, you still painted the details. Only an artist can do that!

Well thanks for sticking by that, haha! Each finger was on a toothpick and the customer thought it was cool that they could pick the fingers off individually and nibble on them. Made one out of modeling chocolate, but it was too melty, so they were fondant.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by sixinarow 
 

 

I'll have to look for her books, I love learning new tips for any technique. Caking is good for my OCD. 

:-D

Here's her site, but I'm sure the books are on Amazon. http://www.debbiebrownscakes.co.uk/  I just took her kittens class last week and it was h-a-r-d. It was her classes I took a few years back when I first got started that got me going. She's a really good teacher.

Bev25 Posted 9 Sep 2013 , 3:51am

I have to agree with Howsweet, I bought Debbie Brown's book on Amazon

they're invaluable for learners also Maisie Parrish is great

manicgeisha Posted 9 Sep 2013 , 4:21am

Does fondant get hard and crunchy with tylose?    Every time i go to buy it, its out of stock.   My kids have bit into some pretty old cake toppers before and they had a drier shell but the insides were still soft- no crunch either. 

 

 

I'm guessing timing will be different for everyone.   For irate birds, I'd make the main pieces one by one, then the eyes, beaks, and feathers.    Sometimes because they are small they are dry enough to handle by the time I'm done depending how many I just made, but other times...well they just mush all up if I try to handle them- then I have a pack of irate amoebas and not birds.    I just find it faster to wait a bit and let the pieces hold their shape before I glue them together. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%