Proper/best Cutting Tool For Detailed Fondant Work?

Decorating By TheNerdyBaker Updated 24 Aug 2013 , 2:19am by AZCouture

TheNerdyBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheNerdyBaker Posted 23 Aug 2013 , 10:02pm
post #1 of 7

Hi guys and gals!

So not too long ago I bought myself a nice Xacto Knife with padded sides and an ergonomic handle (the Porche of Xactos!), and I'm not too sure I am in love with it.

I find fondant sticking too it more often than not, and all in all it just seems a little small.

My detailed cuts (letters for instance), all seem to come out fairly rough to my eye because the Xacto tugs this way and that way, plus the stickage.

So I am just curious what the consensus is on a decent cutting instrument for general and detailed fondant work in order to produce clean and accurate cuts.

Thanks <3

6 replies
MKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MKC Posted 23 Aug 2013 , 11:02pm
post #2 of 7

AI tried everything and I find that blades work best. I put a little grease on the blade before starting and I use a new blade when I start a project. They are very cheap at about 5 cents each.

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 23 Aug 2013 , 11:12pm
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNerdyBaker 

Hi guys and gals!

So not too long ago I bought myself a nice Xacto Knife with padded sides and an ergonomic handle (the Porche of Xactos!), and I'm not too sure I am in love with it.

I find fondant sticking too it more often than not, and all in all it just seems a little small.

My detailed cuts (letters for instance), all seem to come out fairly rough to my eye because the Xacto tugs this way and that way, plus the stickage.

So I am just curious what the consensus is on a decent cutting instrument for general and detailed fondant work in order to produce clean and accurate cuts.

Thanks <3

I think it depends on what the project is.  I do find Xacto blades can pull at the fondant unless the fondant is set up some or chilled and I'm careful only to use the tip.

I do like to use a razor blade for detail when I need to make small straight cuts with a downward motion.  I believe AZ recommends a box cutter blade (without the handle).  It will make sharp cuts like a razor with the advantage of longer cuts. 

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 23 Aug 2013 , 11:21pm
post #4 of 7

I rub a little bit of shortening on my blade before I cut with it, just a tiny bit. Takes care of any rough edges or pulling for me.

I use the ones that look like pens with a blade at the end, no idea what the proper name is, lol.

They look like this http://www.dickblick.com/products/blick-e-z-grip-knife/

The box cutter is awesome for long cuts

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 23 Aug 2013 , 11:32pm
post #5 of 7

AShortening in the blade & soften the jagged edges.

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 23 Aug 2013 , 11:35pm
post #6 of 7

Shorting for the blade - thanks for the tip!

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 24 Aug 2013 , 2:19am
post #7 of 7

AWas just going to pimp the box cutter blades, thanks J! For anything straight, that's what I use, downward cuts using the length of the blade, not in the typical motion of dragging the blade to make a cut.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%