Wedding Cake Disaster.

Decorating By BakerBee7468 Updated 23 Aug 2013 , 8:29pm by smittyditty

CakePrincessPE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakePrincessPE Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 6:43am
post #91 of 146

Also tried to find her - she has 'slipped' off the plant. Possibly a good thing judging by the article:

http://www.cumbriacrack.com/2013/08/18/big-day-ruined-by-wedding-cake-from-hell/

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 9:31am
post #92 of 146

The mystery is solved! We now know who the baker was and she had gone with a reputable baker who had a last minute illness.

BatterUpCake Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 9:36am
post #93 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWinslow 

Off topic:  Have you ever heard of Roar on the Shore.  Annual biker event here in Erie, PA.  I never saw so many bikes in one place. 

No I have not but have gone to many events. Every year on Memorial Day there is an event in DC called Rolling Thunder. It is a ride in memory of the POW's/MIA's. Over 400,000 bikes ride in this ride. There is 1 Marine that shows up every year and holds a salute for 4 hours in his dress blues no matter the weather until ever last bike has passed. Very touching.

Kadesan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kadesan Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 9:44am
post #94 of 146

Oh dear God. Just saw the INSIDE of the... 'cake'... icon_eek.gif

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 10:04am
post #95 of 146

Am I losing it or is there nothing but cake under the fondant? No crumb coat even?

CakePrincessPE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakePrincessPE Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 10:08am
post #96 of 146

I did not see a crumb coat either

Pearl123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pearl123 Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 10:22am
post #97 of 146

And why is the sponge inside GREEN! icon_eek.gif Those layers look horrendous, and no crumb coat even?

I can almost forgive a "baker" who thinks they can accomplish something and can't in the decorating arena. But to "bake" something like that and expect someone to eat it? Sorry, no can do.

BatterUpCake Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 10:42am
post #98 of 146

AI think she was trying to do a rainbow cake. I want to see a pic of the cupcakes

smokeysmokerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smokeysmokerton Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 10:52am
post #99 of 146

Just another problem that arises from stealing someone else's photos and trying to pass them off as your work. I think the bride took it better than I would have. It's false advertising, plain and simple, and you just do not mess with someone's wedding. Aside from the fact that it looked nothing like the original requested cake, it looked disgusting. I've seen cakes that didn't quite hit the mark, but still at least looked edible. No way in hell would I serve that at my wedding.

Hopefully this story makes the rounds and people will stop ordering from her, and maybe it will serve as a warning to those who try to pass off another's work as their own when it is clearly far above their skill level.

SugaredSaffron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaredSaffron Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 10:56am
post #100 of 146

I've seen the other stuff by the decorator who apparently did this, cakes are terrible of course but she hasn't posted this cake on her page.

smokeysmokerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smokeysmokerton Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 11:35am
post #101 of 146

I thought I read that she picked this one out on her facebook page. I've read a few articles, can't remember which one it was. If I read that wrong and this woman advertised this type of work, bride got what she got, but the baker still has no business selling wedding cakes. 

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 11:40am
post #102 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugaredSaffron 

I've seen the other stuff by the decorator who apparently did this, cakes are terrible of course but she hasn't posted this cake on her page.

*gasp* you're holding out on us!? :P

As for the green cake, I get asked quite often to make coloured layers

scwright Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scwright Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 1:20pm
post #103 of 146

I think I have more of a problem with the fact that in the article the bride stated the cake "smelled rancid" as well as the cupcakes. What on earth kind of cake did this woman give to this bride and why would it smell rancid??? that is unbelievably disugusting!

PinkLotus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkLotus Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 1:23pm
post #104 of 146

AIf this is what her other cakes looked like, and they were posted on her FB page, I have minimal sympathy for the bride (as I stated in a previous post). But yeah, regardless, this baker should not be selling her cakes. Also, in the article she says they still have the cake and "are wondering how to dispose of it"...um, throw it in the garbage? What an awful waste. But I wouldn't eat it either, especially if it smelled bad as stated in the article. Gross.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 1:25pm
post #105 of 146

A

Original message sent by scrumdiddlycakes

*gasp* you're holding out on us!? :P

As for the green cake, I get asked quite often to make coloured layers

I think some private messages are in order, yeah? I can keep quiet....

IAmPamCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IAmPamCakes Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 2:24pm
post #106 of 146

AWow. What a mess.

mermaidcakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mermaidcakery Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 2:39pm
post #107 of 146

ARancid! Maybe the green is mold. That's what the green part in the filling looks like to me. My stomache turned over with that pic.

Sparklekat6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sparklekat6 Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 3:03pm
post #108 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatterUpCake 

The mystery is solved! We now know who the baker was and she had gone with a reputable baker who had a last minute illness.

So that's a good question for you professionals out there, do you have a back-up baker that can do cakes you've committed to if you get ill?  So your poor customers don't start shopping on facebook?  

BatterUpCake Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 3:07pm
post #109 of 146

Never thought about it but I do have someone I would recommend....

Sparklekat6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sparklekat6 Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 3:57pm
post #110 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatterUpCake 

Never thought about it but I do have someone I would recommend....

Yeah I imagine it doesn't happen very often and if you have a big bakery then you probably have other people working there that could do it, but it seems like it would be a good idea to have a contract with another local baker that you two could do each other's cakes if the other one got sick.  

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 4:08pm
post #111 of 146

AYes! I specifically reached out to other bakeries. A few years ago I witnessed our community come together when an artists husband died. Shortly after I started, my mother died. I frosted & delivered 300 cupcakes through tears. Now, I have 3 solid backups.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 4:44pm
post #112 of 146

A

Original message sent by cakefat

[QUOTE name="PinkLotus" url="/t/762400/wedding-cake-disaster/60#post_7431917"]  I'm so tired of seeing these types of people...they don't really have great decorating skills, but their friends and family tell them they do, so they decide to go into business and charge next to nothing for really poorly decorated cakes. These people are popping up left right and centre all over Facebook and I'm so tired of it.[/QUOTE]

Facebook is the motherland of BS. "that cake is gorgeous" "You're so talented/beautiful/amazing" "such a beautiful baby!" etc etc. Seriously there are some straight up fibbers on fb. 

Annabakescakes Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 4:45pm
post #113 of 146

AUgh! Stupid phone! I just wanted to say cakefat's comment cracked me up because it is so true!

Annabakescakes Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 5:03pm
post #114 of 146

AI clicked the link and read the article, and it looks like a Rainbow cake? Where in the heck is the icing or ganache? There is nothing sticking the fondant to the cake!

sixinarow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixinarow Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 5:41pm
post #115 of 146

A

Original message sent by Kadesan

Oh dear God. Just saw the INSIDE of the... [I]'cake'[/I][I]...[/I] 8O

[URL=http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3081882/] [/URL]

Well that's an appetite killer. Note to self -- read cake disasters AFTER lunch.

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 6:38pm
post #116 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixinarow 

Well that's an appetite killer. Note to self -- read cake disasters AFTER lunch.

Love this!!!!!!  LOL!

SugaredSaffron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaredSaffron Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 7:49pm
post #117 of 146

Okay I'll PM, I feel bad sending all you nutters to her page!

Edit: OK now she really has deleted her page.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 7:58pm
post #118 of 146

A

Original message sent by SugaredSaffron

:-(

Kadesan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kadesan Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 9:20pm
post #119 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixinarow 

icon_smile.gif

sixinarow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixinarow Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 9:26pm
post #120 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugaredSaffron 

Oh man! I was looking forward to a good facebook stalking. Boo..guess I better go be "productive". *sigh*

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%