How Long Should This Take?

Decorating By jennicake Updated 8 Aug 2013 , 3:20pm by jennicake

jennicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennicake Posted 7 Aug 2013 , 6:15pm
post #1 of 5

There are a lot of threads asking about pricing, and the general answer is to calculate the total based on material cost, labour and markup.  But labour varies from person to person and level of experience.  So I thought it might be nice to see how long it should take a more experienced person to complete different cakes!  It should help people calculate their pricing a little better, and help others (like me!) plan their time better.

Soo... to start, how long does it take you to make a 6"/8" stacked cake (4" tall per tier) from start to finish with fondant and no other decorations?  Including mixing, baking, cleanup and decorating time?

Currently I am at 4 hours which seems high to me.  Would love to know what it takes others!

4 replies
melmar02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melmar02 Posted 7 Aug 2013 , 6:50pm
post #2 of 5

AI would probably say about 4 hours for me too (hobbyist transitioning into a "real caker". I wouldn't charge less than $115.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 7 Aug 2013 , 8:51pm
post #3 of 5

I don't agree w/the pricing based on  material cost, labour and markup......mainly for the reason you bring up.

It is much too hard to calculate.

I suggest going by the 'industry standard per slice' pricing. 

6" and 8" round would take about 10 minutes to mix up; 30-45 minutes to bake; then at least 1 hour to cool enough to ice;(durring which time you can be cleaning up the pots & pans);  maybe 30 minutes to fill & ice (IF my icing cooperates!); and depending on how complicated the design up to 2 hours to decorate.....so y our 4 hrs seems to be right in the ball park.  If it is only covered in fondant and stacked; no other decorating probably only 1 hour.

CakeGeekUk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeGeekUk Posted 7 Aug 2013 , 9:13pm
post #4 of 5

Hi Jenni, I'd be looking at 20 mins to prep tins and make the two cakes + approx. 45 mins in the oven + 1 hour to cool (wash-up done and buttercream made) + 45mins to buttercream, roll out fondant and smooth, then dowel and stack. So I guess I'm at 2hrs 50mins. I'm an experienced wedding cake maker and consider myself to be quite a fast worker too- if I do say so myself!!!

PS Great idea for a survey! I'm interested to hear how long it takes others.

jennicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennicake Posted 8 Aug 2013 , 3:20pm
post #5 of 5

AWow CakeGeek, that's a good speed!

I clean up a bit and make frosting while the cake is in the oven. Then when I take it out to cool, I carry on with my regular life. So my 4 hours doesn't even include cooling time really.

If I was to break down my time, I would say 30 mins prep, 40 minutes to bake/clean/make frosting, 45 minutes to torte/fill/ice and another 45 to knead fondant, cover tiers and stack. Another 30 minutes to clean up my less. Puts me just over 4 hours.

Geez this is time consuming work

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%