Cake Dummy

Decorating By sandyfae Updated 26 Jul 2013 , 9:42pm by dragonsculptor

sandyfae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandyfae Posted 26 Jul 2013 , 2:34am
post #1 of 9

AI have a cake next week and can not find a styrofoam for a cake dummy! I need a 6 in. Can I use the cardboard and stack them up? If I can, what do I put around it to make it smooth before I buttercream and fondant?

8 replies
JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 26 Jul 2013 , 2:55am
post #2 of 9

Global Sugar Art has 6".  Also Dallas foam.  There are many sites.  You can google cake dummies and you'd be surprised how many there are.

sandyfae Posted 26 Jul 2013 , 3:05am
post #3 of 9

AThank you! I don't have any time for something to get shipped to me, but I'll have to do that for the future! I'll YouTube as well!

BeesKnees578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeesKnees578 Posted 26 Jul 2013 , 3:10am
post #4 of 9

I used those boxes with the lids that you get at the craft store (the craft paper brown ones that people paint and collage on).  I just ditched the lids and flipped them over.  They come in round, square, heart, etc.

I put a thin layer of piping gel on them.  I normally use crisco on my styro dummies but I was worried that the oil would weaken the box material.

See the dummies below...all boxes.

This was from a professionally styled wedding shoot I was so lucky to take part in.  The photos are from LSquared Photography in Akron OH.  They did an amazing job capturing the details!

JWinslow Posted 26 Jul 2013 , 3:14am
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeesKnees578 

I used those boxes with the lids that you get at the craft store (the craft paper brown ones that people paint and collage on).  I just ditched the lids and flipped them over.  They come in round, square, heart, etc.

I put a thin layer of piping gel on them.  I normally use crisco on my styro dummies but I was worried that the oil would weaken the box material.

See the dummies below...all boxes.

This was from a professionally styled wedding shoot I was so lucky to take part in.  The photos are from LSquared Photography in Akron OH.  They did an amazing job capturing the details!

Wow!  not only are your cakes Gorgeous but what a great idea! 

BeesKnees578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeesKnees578 Posted 26 Jul 2013 , 3:20am
post #6 of 9

thanks you! 

funny thing is, if someone asked me to do those in real cake, i would freak worrying if I could get in all done in time!

not to mention the one with the quatrefoils on it is quite skinny and i would be so worried about it falling over!

i would probably suggest that i do something like this in fake cake where needed and do the rest in real cake.

sandyfae Posted 26 Jul 2013 , 4:17am
post #7 of 9

AThose are gorgeous! That must have taken a lot if time! Thanks for the advice on the boxes!! Never would have thought of that

JWinslow Posted 26 Jul 2013 , 5:13am
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeesKnees578 

thanks you! 

funny thing is, if someone asked me to do those in real cake, i would freak worrying if I could get in all done in time!

not to mention the one with the quatrefoils on it is quite skinny and i would be so worried about it falling over!

i would probably suggest that i do something like this in fake cake where needed and do the rest in real cake.

The boxes are hollow so I was wondering if they were hard to cover because they are even lighter than dummies.  How did you keep them from moving around/

dragonsculptor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonsculptor Posted 26 Jul 2013 , 9:42pm
post #9 of 9

I've used stacked card board that I glued each piece together with craft tacky glue. Then I wrapped the project in foil to make the edges look nicer. You could glue ribbon to the sides of the foil for a more finished look. You don't have to wait for the glue to dry before you wrap it in tin foil. You can use it for the cake with in 24 hours. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%