A Bit Irritated

Decorating By reginaherrin Updated 7 Jul 2013 , 2:31am by reginaherrin

reginaherrin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reginaherrin Posted 6 Jul 2013 , 9:39pm
post #1 of 4

So I just got back from delivering a wedding cake and I am just a bit irritated at what I found at the venue.  As I got there I see two girls setting up a cupcake tower with these cheap grocery store cupcake on this big 4 tier cupcake stand.  They are totally getting icing everywhere and to top it off they have a small smash cake sized cake for the top which they actually had to pry off the cake board to put it on the cupcake tower.  The little cake looks like crap to begin with and especially since they had to take it off its original cake board.  The tower is a good almost foot above my wedding cake and is totally towering above it.  I do not have a non-disclosure clause in my contract because its never been a big deal to me, most of my brides get both cakes from me or opt to not have a grooms cake at all.  I also do a lot of grooms cakes without doing the bridal and again it doesn't bother me until today.  I don't really think people will think the cupcakes and wedding cake came from the same place since they both look like night and day but I just hate my pretty cake being right next to that mess.  I just don't understand spending a bunch of money on a wedding cake and then totally cheaping out on the grooms cake, enough to go to a grocery store to get it. I'll try to upload a picture in a bit.

3 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 6 Jul 2013 , 9:55pm
post #2 of 4

Oh yes, a non-compete clause is needed if you are going to do weddings.

I remember one gal coming in for a consult - don't remember much except she didn't book.

Fast forward several months a gal comes in and orders a small 2 tier wedding.  I thought she look familiar but didn't give it much thought.  When I delivered her cake I found several full sheet cakes from Wal-Mart sitting out on the table.  That's when I remembered she was upset at 1st consult because of non compete clause.

I ended up leaving cake anyway  even though my contract said I wouldn't.

At another reception there was a really bad home-made type grooms cake (fish).  Can't remember now if I had non compete clause back then but still left wedding cake.  

Once you are at reception what are you going to do w/a 5 tier wedding cake and there is someone else's (poorly made) cake there also?  I just could not NOT leave it.  So much for non compete clauses :(

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 6 Jul 2013 , 10:57pm
post #3 of 4

No-compete/non-disclosure is for employees.  Perhaps you're thinking of sole provider.

reginaherrin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reginaherrin Posted 7 Jul 2013 , 2:31am
post #4 of 4

Yes that is what we both meant.  It doesn't matter what its called because I don't plan on ever adding it to my contract anyways.  Its almost never enforced and could just lose me business.  I have been doing wedding cakes for years now and never had any other bride get a very sub par grooms cake.  Plus I actually do more grooms cake then wedding cakes anyways since most grooms cakes are 3-D which I do a lot of. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%