How To Do These Drapes & What Kind Of Flower Is This?

Decorating By Britterfly Updated 18 Jun 2013 , 4:14am by Annabakescakes

Britterfly Posted 17 Jun 2013 , 1:21pm
post #1 of 14

How do you do the swags/drapes like on the bottom of this cake? Is there a mold? Or do you make a drape using the dowel rods under the fondant to make the "bumps" then lay them all flat down over each other or do you do pleats? Then cut it into the drape shape or just pinch the ends together?


And what kind of flowers are on the edge of the cake?


13 replies
cakeyouverymuch Posted 17 Jun 2013 , 1:49pm
post #2 of 14

The flowers are dogwood.  You can tell by the little indent at the end of each petal.

Stitches Posted 17 Jun 2013 , 2:59pm
post #3 of 14

The draping looks like it's molded to me.



I don't know how you'd get it so flat if you were hand shaping the pleats.

auntginn Posted 17 Jun 2013 , 6:19pm
post #4 of 14

Its definately molded, you can tell by the edge of the top, if you don't have the mold you can make the drapes by using skewers or straws.  Lay skewers on a flat surface, lining them up with each other, place a piece of fondant on top of the skewers, bring all the skewers together, remove the skewers. Lastly pull up the ends of the fondant piece and you have your drape. I lay the ends down so they can be as flat as I like them.   I cut a fondant square a little larger than the fondant drape size I need.   



Annabakescakes Posted 17 Jun 2013 , 6:33pm
post #5 of 14

ATo me, it looks like the "drapes" are just a half circle of thickly rolled fondant, cut with a rolling cutter, and marked with the rolling disc that is rounded, rather than straight. (Does that make any sense, at all?) it is a little roller, it just doesn't cut. Just "draw" or "mark" the lines with the little roller.

auntginn Posted 17 Jun 2013 , 7:21pm
post #6 of 14

Who makes that roller? Or maybe I should ask who sells it? lol

Annabakescakes Posted 17 Jun 2013 , 7:30pm
post #7 of 14


Original message sent by auntginn

Who makes that roller? Or maybe I should ask who sells it? lol

Idk! I have 2 that had very different rollers, and I am not sure which came with which. I am talking about the wide rounded one on the white handle! [IMG][/IMG]

auntginn Posted 17 Jun 2013 , 8:40pm
post #8 of 14

Ah.. they remind me of the Wilton rollers.  But Wilton like most brands have their names stamped on their products.

Annabakescakes Posted 17 Jun 2013 , 9:25pm
post #9 of 14

ANo names on either!

arlenej Posted 17 Jun 2013 , 10:35pm
post #10 of 14

I'm pretty sure CalJava has those drape molds. At least I'm pretty sure I saw Ruth Rickey using them.

auntginn Posted 17 Jun 2013 , 10:49pm
post #11 of 14

Yes they have or had.  I bought some from them a while back.

annabananana Posted 17 Jun 2013 , 11:53pm
post #12 of 14

AI am with the other Anna. Those don't look like molds to me. If they were molded, wouldn't they look the same?

Annabakescakes Posted 18 Jun 2013 , 4:14am
post #14 of 14


Okay... Ick. I hate them. Totally flat and lacking character. There are much better molds out there to make "drapes" with. I prefer the look of real ones, but I cheated on this cake and used molds for them. I like them, but I know they are smaller than the ones in the OP. [IMG][/IMG]

Quote by @%username% on %date%