A Funny And Two Questions

Decorating By DeniseNH Updated 3 Jun 2013 , 7:05pm by DeniseNH

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 3 Jun 2013 , 11:29am
post #1 of 3

During yesterday's delivery I handed a kitchen cake box to a young lady at the reception and asked to have it refrigerated.  She saw the writing on the cake - plainly marked "Kitchen Cake" and she said "Oh, you're SO sweet, that was so nice of you".  An older employee happened by at that time and said "NO that's not for the kitchen help to eat, it's for the guests".  I had no idea that some people don't know what a kitchen cake is.  Can you imagine this young employee hacking into it or not serving it because she thought it was for the  back room to enjoy?  And in the car on the way home I tried to explain to my husband why I set the cake up early.  My brain acts in either a creative mode or a thinking mode and when I'm creating or putting a cake together, the talking side of my brain shuts down so that I can "feel" the cake design and put the sugar flowers in the right spot - according to the design in my head.  So many times an elderly Grandmother will want to tell you about her decorating experiences and you just want her to go away so you can get back to your "vision".  I liken this feeling being "in the zone" or what athletes call a "runners high" and am wondering how many of you feel the same sensation of total concentration to the point of not being able to form a complete cohesive sentence for a few seconds until your mind switches back to talk mode.  Also, I didn't get any answers to my sugar gems question -  on a fondant cake in the heat of the summer.  Has anyone done this successfully and if so, how?  I'm worried about the moisture on the side of the fondant cake, melting the gems or clouding them up.  I wonder if putting them on room temp fondant with a dot of royal would elevate the gems enough off of the cake to keep them safe and do most of you still back your sugar diamonds with silver dust to help reflect the light?  Sorry this is so long but I'm on a roll today.

2 replies
reginaherrin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reginaherrin Posted 3 Jun 2013 , 2:15pm
post #2 of 3

On the kitchen cake thing, so funny, thank goodness that other employee was around to set her straight.  On the in the zone thing, I am so the same way.  I decorate from home so when the kids are home they know not to come in to disturb me.  But the little one (almost 6) will sometimes still come in to show me something or talk or even try to play a bit and I have to tell her to go to her room because I can't concentrate on the cake when any of this is going on.  Even someone talking will bother me.  On the gem question, I'm not exactly sure about how the weather will effect it, I have only used them a few times before and only the really small diamond ones that I had to buy.  I know you are not suppose to put them in the refrigerator because they can cloud up and I have accidently left them in my garage before for an extended time and they eventually clouded up. Depending on how hot it is it may melt them a bit but I would think it would have to be really hot and the cake would have to be sweating before this could happen.  But again I am just guessing and not 100%.  I am in Texas which is always hot so I know heat is always hard on cake. 

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 3 Jun 2013 , 7:05pm
post #3 of 3

Thank you SO much for your reply.  Texas has a dry heat, New Englands heat is a very humid one so yes the cake will be sweating up a storm.  I'm doing trials on this over the next two months.  Best, Denise

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%