Call To Get Deposit Or Wait?

Business By ericapraga Updated 20 May 2013 , 3:50pm by jason_kraft

ericapraga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ericapraga Posted 17 May 2013 , 1:58pm
post #1 of 8

I have a couple of wedding cakes coming up. I have done the consults and all that, all details are arranged. Should I call to get deposit, or wait for them to contact me? Help-I don't want to be pushy, but......

7 replies
MissMona Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissMona Posted 17 May 2013 , 2:03pm
post #2 of 8

Was the deposit discussed at the consult?  How far away are the wedding dates?  I always tell customers at the consult, I need a deposit to put the event on my calendar.  With the exception of the recent flowers that weren't picked up, I always have half down before it goes on my schedule.  Then my calendar isn't full of maybes.  When I look at it I know what I have, period.  Rarely I will put someone on because they are so close to me....guess what?  The last two I did that way fell through, because they have no money invested it isn't important to them.  

MasterPieceCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MasterPieceCake Posted 17 May 2013 , 2:11pm
post #3 of 8

I would contact them.... Wedding planning can be very hectic, it's so easy for the client to "forget" that they haven't made a deposit yet. Just call as a friendly reminder, if they have already agreed to book the cake with you...They may just be waiting on you! 

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 17 May 2013 , 2:14pm
post #4 of 8

AThere's nothing pushy about a gentle reminder.

"Dear x, just wanted to remind you that I have not yet received your deposit ($z) to reserve your date. Please remember that your order is not confirmed unless and until the deposit is made. Until that time, your date is available to other clients.

Please let me know if I can be of any assistance in your decision making process. If you have chosen another bakery, please accept our best wishes."

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 17 May 2013 , 3:06pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericapraga 

I have a couple of wedding cakes coming up. I have done the consults and all that, all details are arranged. Should I call to get deposit, or wait for them to contact me? Help-I don't want to be pushy, but......

The professional and gracious reminder from Delicious Desserts above is perfection.

If I were selling wedding cakes, I would consider the deposit to be Priority #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, then  "the consults and all that, all details are arranged."  If there is no deposit to reserve the date, then all the other details are irrelevant.

ericapraga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ericapraga Posted 17 May 2013 , 11:04pm
post #6 of 8

Okay, thanks guys!  I will give them a call this weekend and get paid!!!!

Nornni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nornni Posted 20 May 2013 , 1:06pm
post #7 of 8

A

Original message sent by DeliciousDesserts

There's nothing pushy about a gentle reminder.

"Dear x, just wanted to remind you that I have not yet received your deposit ($z) to reserve your date. Please remember that your order is not confirmed unless and until the deposit is made. Until that time, your date is available to other clients.

Please let me know if I can be of any assistance in your decision making process. If you have chosen another bakery, please accept our best wishes."

Original message sent by MissMona

Was the deposit discussed at the consult?  How far away are the wedding dates?  I always tell customers at the consult, I need a deposit to put the event on my calendar.  With the exception of the recent flowers that weren't picked up, I always have half down before it goes on my schedule.  Then my calendar isn't full of maybes.  When I look at it I know what I have, period.  Rarely I will put someone on because they are so close to me....guess what?  The last two I did that way fell through, because they have no money invested it isn't important to them.  

Think I love this two comments, perfect

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 20 May 2013 , 3:50pm
post #8 of 8

AI also usually add that the baking schedule is filling up quickly, so we may not be able to fill their order if the deposit is not sent by X date.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%