Disgusting Delivery

Decorating By frogfiend Updated 17 Sep 2005 , 4:31pm by wifeshelper

frogfiend Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frogfiend Posted 16 Sep 2005 , 9:25pm
post #1 of 18

I am so disgusted. I just got home and found much to my surprise 2 packages of cake supplies I had ordered. I opened the first one from Wilton and to my horror one of the cake pans I had ordered (which was sealed in plastic) was full of hundreds of little dead bugs. There is no way the person packing this into the box did not see this. I am really upset. I just sent Wilton an e-mail, telling them of it and I do not think I will be ordering from them again. Sorry to rant and rave, but it was totally disgusting. icon_mad.gif

17 replies
ckirkland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckirkland Posted 16 Sep 2005 , 9:30pm
post #2 of 18

What state did the package come from? Because I live in Mississippi and some little black bugs have just started hanging around today. You can not even go outside from them sticking all over you. Everyone said it is from the hurricane. I guess it pushed them all up from the coast or something. They are freaking me out!
So, if it came from anywhere around here, that is probably the problem. I would still complain so no one else will have to deal with this problem. It probably was jsut a one time thing. I have ordered from Wilton's and everything was fine.

frogfiend Posted 16 Sep 2005 , 9:33pm
post #3 of 18

The package was in perfect condition and so was everything else in the box. Just those pans. I have ordered from them many times and never had a problem, but I dont know now.

twindees Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twindees Posted 16 Sep 2005 , 9:34pm
post #4 of 18

Oh my goodness that is totally disgusting.

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 16 Sep 2005 , 9:42pm
post #5 of 18

I've had that happen before too. I think anytime you are dealing with a "warehouse" type atmosphere there is a chance that is going to happen. It's still gross though!

Daniela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daniela Posted 16 Sep 2005 , 10:13pm
post #6 of 18

OMG I hate bugs!!!!!!!!! I think I'd be going nuts if that had happened to me. I hope you get some answers from them.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 16 Sep 2005 , 10:20pm
post #7 of 18

Well as disgusting as it was I don't think I would never order from them again...It was good that you emailed them though to make them aware of the problem.I'm sure they will send you a gift certificate or something just for being grossed out!!!

irisinbloom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
irisinbloom Posted 16 Sep 2005 , 10:22pm
post #8 of 18

YUKicon_sad.gif

ThePastryDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThePastryDiva Posted 16 Sep 2005 , 10:45pm
post #9 of 18

too funny. I know that it's disgusting, buuuut..a little bleach can sanitize the problem. Especially if there was nothing else wrong with it and the package was sealed.

That reminds me of the big WATERBUG that found it's way into our school kitchen. This is my second year, and our kitchens are spotless, cleaned 2x a day and santitized too.

The other day, everyone was screaming and running and saying "HOW DISGUSTING!"...like living down here in Florida no one has ever seen a big water bug ( they always seem to come out when it rains and floods...which is allways!..lol)...

I calmly walked over...stepped on it...picked it up with a tissue, put it in the garbage, washed and sanitized my hands....got a pair of gloves on and kept working.

No biggie...

Please, I'm sure we've all seen bugs before...lol

( I know, I know..they are still gross and yucky..lol)

frogfiend Posted 16 Sep 2005 , 10:57pm
post #10 of 18

Yes, I am used to bugs living in Florida as well, but this was way beyond anything here. I immediately washed the pan and have it soaking in boiling water. I wasnt sure if bleach would hurt the pan or not, but I think I may try it. Its not so much the bugs and the thought that the person packing the box, just ignored it. They had to of seen them. I have calmed down a little now, I am not steaming at least. So in the future I may order from them again, but it will be a while. I have not recieved an answer as of yet. I really dont expect to.

ThePastryDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThePastryDiva Posted 16 Sep 2005 , 11:05pm
post #11 of 18

frog friend...it's ok, that's why we are here, for you to vent on things like that and make us laugh a little!

I'm glad that you've let it out and can breathe again. Surprises like that are always shocking..lol

but, I believe that those darned bugs are going to inherit the earth...they are practically indestructible...ugh...!

lol

Take care!

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 17 Sep 2005 , 2:27am
post #12 of 18

Frogfiend, sometimes bleach discolours aluminum, so be cautious, your dish soap and a good rinsing will take care of any residue.
Honestly, I likely would have freaked too. I do not like bugs, they have a right to be outside, not inside, haha! Ewwwhhhhh!
Wilton is usually good to respond though, so I think you will at least hear from them.
Sorry you got some unordered items in your order.
Hhmn, did I ever tell you about the maximum percentage of insects that are allowed to be in flour that is sold? On second thought...
I have never been to Florida, so you Florida folks stop talking the scarey bug talk ok? Haha!
Hugs Squirrelly

JennT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennT Posted 17 Sep 2005 , 3:03am
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckirkland

What state did the package come from? Because I live in Mississippi and some little black bugs have just started hanging around today. You can not even go outside from them sticking all over you. Everyone said it is from the hurricane. I guess it pushed them all up from the coast or something. They are freaking me out!
So, if it came from anywhere around here, that is probably the problem. I would still complain so no one else will have to deal with this problem. It probably was jsut a one time thing. I have ordered from Wilton's and everything was fine.

Most likely those are what we call "Love Bugs"....They're black right? With a little red dot on their head? And there's usually two of them stuck together....hence "Love Bugs" icon_wink.gif .....hehehehe icon_lol.gif They swarm down to us earthlings every September....every single year...and over the past 3 years they've continually gotten worse and worse!!! ugh! thumbsdown.gif
They really do come by the thousands...and they're everywhere. What's really irritating to me are these 2 things: 1-they are extremely attracted to white things: cars, houses, clothing, etc. Well, I drive a white Cadillac, one of my husband's trucks is white, our house is off-white.....So lately I'm livin' in a black and red polka dotted world full o' love!!! lol icon_razz.gif 2- They are really lighter than air almost...so a lot of the time if they are on you it's likely you won't know it until you feel it or they get on your face - then you REALLY freak out!!!! icon_surprised.gif

They don't sting or bite or anything and they're actually quite intresting to look at. And they just flutter around aimlessly, like they have no eyes or something...they can easily end up in your mouth if you're not careful!!! YUCK! I asked our local Wildlife guy at the center down the road from my house about them the other day...he said: The reason they're called "Love Bugs" is just as it sounds...they're mating...that's why they're stuck together. The single ones flying around have just finished and are prowlin' around lookin' for MORE love!!! hehehehehe And their offspring are born very quickly too....so it just goes on and on until it gets too cold or they just die. He also said that (despite what it is they're doing) they're one of the "cleanest" bugs on earth!??? Go figure......hahahahaha!!! icon_confused.gif Also - they appear every September in the south, just more concentrated in some areas more than others. And if it's been a really rainy late August/early September...Be prepared for there to be 3-4 times as many as are "normal". Since we had a massive hurricane down here, it's worse than you can imagine!!

I tend to think of them more along the lines of a moth or butterfly or dragonfly or something. But here's what these crazy little "Love Bugs" have taught me:

1- Consider getting a new car that's any color other than white or any shade of white!!

2- Don't wear white clothes.

3- Invest in 50 cases of "Goo Be Gone" to remove said bugs from white car.

4- Better yet, just get a new paint job every November...the scrubbing & buffing just takes too long, and you'll just have to do it again & again, unless you move away from here!

5- When you open the door to your house, or go outside, or exit your car....KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT!! Love Bugs may be cute, but they taste like CRAP!!!!!! lol icon_lol.gificon_wink.gif

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 17 Sep 2005 , 3:31am
post #14 of 18

Well, let nobody say that you don't get an education on this site. I just learned two things. The mating habits of Lovebugs, and to keep my mouth shut. Hhmn, wonder which one I will forget first? Yeah, you guessed it!
Hugs icon_surprised.gif Squirrelly

dandelion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion Posted 17 Sep 2005 , 4:10am
post #15 of 18

Eeek! Bugs really gross me out.
Interesting love bug info. Amazing what one learns here. icon_lol.gif

SweetCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetCreations Posted 17 Sep 2005 , 5:53am
post #16 of 18

JennT did you also know they were suppose to eat mosquito's and of Course that didnt WORK OUT.. lmaooooo..
don't you just hate it when they are out in full force? they will cover you in no time. My little boy didn't like them for a Long time. he was like ewwwwww BUGGGGSSSS EVERYWHERE all over MEEEEEEEEEEE!!! hahaha.. it was a good laugh. but the little black bugs in Ms are like Really Tiny almost flea size but not fleas and they say that the sprays won't even keep them off of you.

I sure hate to hear about the surprise you found in your package. just dump 'em out and wash the pans in Hot Soapy Water and Hopefully Wilton will at least Offer you a discount.. =0) ~A girl Can Hope Huh?
Have a Great Day~
~Sweet~=0)

bubblezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubblezmom Posted 17 Sep 2005 , 4:12pm
post #17 of 18

I've worked many years in customer service. You should have mailed them back their pan and their bugs. ICK!!!

wifeshelper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wifeshelper Posted 17 Sep 2005 , 4:31pm
post #18 of 18

dawn makes a dish soap with bleach in it. its great stuff gets everything nice and clean.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%