Cupcake Toppers

Baking By kazbur Updated 18 May 2013 , 2:52am by kazbur

kazbur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazbur Posted 15 May 2013 , 7:05pm
post #1 of 9

Hey all,

I'm new and making my first batch of cupcakes with toppers. I've made the toppers already (for cakes to be baked and decorated on Saturday) - they're basically just flat disks - a couple have fondant shoes on top.

So, this might be a silly question, because I can't find an answer for it anywhere - but if I bake the cupcakes and ice them with BC frosting swirls - can I then just drop the toppers on and they'll stay there unsupported?

Is there anything obvious I'm missing about this? I have to deliver them as well, in a cupcake box with insert tray, but will they survive the car journey down a v. steep hill (serves us right for living in the mountains) or will I need somebody/something to hold them so they stay level?

Thanks!

Karen

8 replies
Lfredden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lfredden Posted 15 May 2013 , 7:39pm
post #2 of 9

AI would put the toppers on just before leaving or once get there. Fondant has a tendency to get soft on buttercream. I've had trouble with that before, especially with small pieces.

MasterPieceCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MasterPieceCake Posted 15 May 2013 , 7:49pm
post #3 of 9

I agree I would also wait until I arrived at the venue and then place the toppers on the cupcakes. This way the fondant toppers have less time to get soft, Also you wont have to worry about them sliding while you ride down the hill. *Buckle those cakes up* lol 

kazbur Posted 15 May 2013 , 9:57pm
post #4 of 9

Athanks! client says they will be 'eaten within a few hrs'.... i guess if i deliver them and then add toppers, the rest is her responsibility, right? can't believe how nervous i am about them... is there a better way to do toppers that means they won't get soft? use a different frosting maybe?

Lfredden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lfredden Posted 16 May 2013 , 5:46pm
post #5 of 9

AYou can try modeling chocolate or maybe gumpaste.

Rosie93095 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie93095 Posted 16 May 2013 , 5:58pm
post #6 of 9

I sometimes make a smaller disc out of the Wilton's candy melts to put under the toppers or to put under a fondant figure on top of a cake. Just melt , spread onto a piece of parchment and cut with a round cookie cutter to the size you want.

sweetheart1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetheart1978 Posted 16 May 2013 , 10:13pm
post #7 of 9

I got some great advice on toppers the same as yours from CC. I use Renshaws fondant and add some tylose powder to it to make it firmer, then cut out the discs and add toppings onto that. I usually put the toppers straight onto swirled buttercream and they don't become soft, they stay well supported thanks to the tylose. I even keep the in the fridge for a while before serving and they stay perfect, Hope that helps.

Laurelj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laurelj Posted 17 May 2013 , 1:20am
post #8 of 9

Awe always mix gumpaste with fondant 50/50 once dry buttercream will NOT soften it.

kazbur Posted 18 May 2013 , 2:52am
post #9 of 9

Ai was afraid to use gumpaste because i thought it would taste bad...hmm....will have to so some tests. thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%