Article In The Paper

Lounge By Norasmom Updated 2 May 2013 , 12:36pm by kikiandkyle

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 25 Apr 2013 , 11:58pm
post #1 of 15

Here is an article that is bad, bad, bad.  Sorry, in my elegant designer wedding gown at my equally elegant venue, I did not want to stand next to a pie...icon_eek.gif

http://www.boston.com/lifestyle/relationships/blogs/blissfullyinspired/2013/04/do_or_dont_skipping_the_cake.html

14 replies
liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 26 Apr 2013 , 12:11am
post #2 of 15

That's the biggest trend in hipster weddings . . . pie, Mason jar glasses, something made of gooseberries. :)

Liz

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 26 Apr 2013 , 1:56am
post #3 of 15

I find it interesting, because cake isn't really seen as 'dessert' here in Australia. Serving the wedding cake as dessert is a really recent phenomenon here. In most cases, you're served pie or cheesecake or whatever, and have cake afterwards with coffee, or to take home.

I agree, though, cutting into the wedding pie doesn't really have the same visual appeal!

MeghanKelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MeghanKelly Posted 26 Apr 2013 , 2:23am
post #4 of 15

"and if you really want cake, it's just flour, eggs and sugar, no need to pay a professional!! just have your second  cousin who just finished the wilton course at hobby lobby make you a box mix!"

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 26 Apr 2013 , 3:53am
post #5 of 15

AI'd rather see that than another article extolling the virtues of dummies and sheetcakes. But yes...piles of mini pies and donuts do not a centerpiece make.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 26 Apr 2013 , 4:00am
post #6 of 15

I actually agree with it.  I know, crazytown.  Get what you like.  

cakefat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefat Posted 26 Apr 2013 , 5:52am
post #7 of 15

ok- that's really just a blurb..not even an article..like someone's thoughts on paper...but If I went to a wedding and all they served (in lieu of cake) was gelato, I would consider that a bad/cheap wedding/reception  Gelato???

why not gelato or macrons along side the slice of cake? Gelato is not enough... you should get what you want...but not just a scoop of ice cream..unless it's a bbq style wedding out in the yard.

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 26 Apr 2013 , 6:18am
post #8 of 15

ALOL @ wedding pie. I'm all for getting what you like but be considerate and get what your guests like too. If I go to a wedding, I'm expecting to be served some cake.

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 26 Apr 2013 , 6:24am
post #9 of 15

As mentioned above, here in Australia we expect our dessert as well as our cake.  I would feel cheated if there was no wedding cake or dessert. I love cake of all description but I also love dessert of all descriptions.  I am not biased.  I want both.

cakefat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefat Posted 26 Apr 2013 , 6:31am
post #10 of 15

me too! I'd like to have both as well.

I admit that I do expect both a dessert and a wedding cake at a nice wedding. I mean, if they've gone all out on location, venue, dress etc etc..and its in their culture (usually anglo-saxon culture from what I've seen)- then I really do expect  both. 

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 26 Apr 2013 , 8:55pm
post #11 of 15

When I got married we did both pie and cake.  My side of the family loves cake, my husband's pie.  It was a fall wedding so we had a wonderful spiced carrot cake and a variety of homemade pies (pumpkin, blueberry, apple and cherry).   It worked great but the cake cutting was an important tradition for both of us and all the ooohs and awwes went to the cake. 

I noticed in the comments of the mini article that half of the people defended having a cake!

jennicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennicake Posted 26 Apr 2013 , 9:40pm
post #12 of 15

Why stop at choosing between cake and pie?  Why not have both, together in one!  Cherpumple anyone?  icon_biggrin.gif

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 26 Apr 2013 , 10:56pm
post #13 of 15

Many European cultures have a traditional wedding bread that is baked up with very elaborate bread dough decorations.  This is a lot closer to the Roman tradition of wedding "cake" being a flat barley bread.  OK so I know how to make the similar Easter bread with fancy dough decorations..it's a lot easier than a cake.

I personally have no problem with wedding pie--I can easily see one with fancy pastry flowers for photos, and little ones for the guests.  Ditto for cheesecake.  Rather bake those than the American fat-sugar icing...

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 26 Apr 2013 , 10:58pm
post #14 of 15

Many European cultures make a very elaborate bread for weddings, with fancy bread dough decorations.  OK so I know how to make the similar Easter bread...it's easier than cake.

I can see wedding pie with fancy pastry flowers to cut, and little pies for the guests.  Ditto for cheesecake (not stacked, no dowels thanks).  Both options tastier than Americal fat-sugar icing...

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 2 May 2013 , 12:36pm
post #15 of 15

I've heard of people serving cheese that was stacked up like a cake. 

We had a dessert buffet and cake. There was cheesecake, trifle and a hot chocolate croissant pudding. 

I can see not having a cake if you genuinely don't like it, but I know that a lot of what goes on at weddings is usually to appease the older relatives who expect certain things. My grandma would have been heartbroken if there had not been wedding cake for her to take home and put in a box like she did for every wedding she went to. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%