Any Aussies Here?

Lounge By baking-mama Updated 4 Sep 2015 , 9:24pm by Magic Mouthfuls

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 30 Nov 2013 , 9:29am
post #451 of 797

I'm in country W.A. and we can buy the Karo at our IGA so I would think that your larger city IGAs would stock it.  If not ask, they might get it in for you.

Faradaye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Faradaye Posted 30 Nov 2013 , 10:25am
post #452 of 797

AHello fellow Aussies!

About glucose vs corn syrup - I made four batches of modelling chocolate last week, two using corn syrup and two using glucose.

The results were fairly similar. I just find the glucose very difficult to work with. So sticky, and little strings of it go everywhere. At least the Karo syrup pours nicely.

My weakness is knowing when the chocolate is thoroughly melted. I microwave mine, and I stir, and think it looks melted, and can't see any lumps or bumps. But when my chocolate is set and I start kneading it, I notice its full of little solid pieces of chocolate. That stand out as white against the coloured part. Which I am assuming are due to them not being totally melted when I combine my chocolate with glucose.

So my challenge this week is to make modelling chocolate with PROPERLY melted chocolate. Lol. How hard can that be?

Cher2309b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cher2309b Posted 30 Nov 2013 , 12:24pm
post #453 of 797

Quote:

Originally Posted by imagenthatnj 

You'll do OK. I had to send Karo light corn syrup to my sister in South America, too. She only gets glucose there.

This person does a lot of work with modeling chocolate. 

http://sugarsweetcakesandtreats.com/2011/03/how-to-make-modeling-chocolate.html#more-163

I think it's best if you weigh the ingredients. Or at least, check out your recipes to find out if when they say 3 oz it is weighed or measured in a cup.

Also, Lauren Kitchens:

And Jessica Harris:

http://jessicakesblog.blogspot.com/2013/05/modeling-chocolate-questions-answered.html

Good luck!

Thank you for all the links, Imagen. I've been researching this quite a bit and it just makes it all the more confusing - so many different results. Anyway, I have now made up 4 batches of modelling chocolate or candy clay, using 4 colours of Wilton Candy Melts and Karo light corn syrup. So far it's looking good; I'll see how it goes tomorrow when I knead and start to use it.

All the best.

Cheryl

Cher2309b Posted 30 Nov 2013 , 12:27pm
post #454 of 797

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApplegumPam 

In Sydney also  :)

I use liquid glucose in modelling chocolate all the time - I warm it up so it is the same temp as the melted chocolate

Thanks Pam. I'll keep that in mind and have a go some time. I now have the Karo light corn syrup and my first attempts are looking good so far.

Cher2309b Posted 30 Nov 2013 , 12:35pm
post #455 of 797

Quote:

Originally Posted by cazza1 

I'm in country W.A. and we can buy the Karo at our IGA so I would think that your larger city IGAs would stock it.  If not ask, they might get it in for you.

Thanks Cazza. I tried at both of our local IGA stores today and neither of them had it, or had any idea of what I wanted. At least my cake decorating shop has it and I have now stocked up a little.

Cher2309b Posted 30 Nov 2013 , 12:38pm
post #456 of 797

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faradaye 

Hello fellow Aussies!

About glucose vs corn syrup - I made four batches of modelling chocolate last week, two using corn syrup and two using glucose.

The results were fairly similar. I just find the glucose very difficult to work with. So sticky, and little strings of it go everywhere. At least the Karo syrup pours nicely.

My weakness is knowing when the chocolate is thoroughly melted. I microwave mine, and I stir, and think it looks melted, and can't see any lumps or bumps. But when my chocolate is set and I start kneading it, I notice its full of little solid pieces of chocolate. That stand out as white against the coloured part. Which I am assuming are due to them not being totally melted when I combine my chocolate with glucose.

So my challenge this week is to make modelling chocolate with PROPERLY melted chocolate. Lol. How hard can that be?

Hi Faradaye. Good luck with your next batch of modelling chocolate; I'd like to hear how it goes. Mine's looking good so far but I'll see how it is when I knead it and start using it tomorrow.

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 1 Dec 2013 , 7:47am
post #457 of 797

I haven't been around for some time - been busy caking @@ - so hello to all the Aussie cakers and bakers who have posted since i visited last.....

Bluehue :)

Gails Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gails Posted 1 Dec 2013 , 5:02pm
post #458 of 797

AHave just been given the news that my partner is giving me a dehumidifier for christmas!!

derbyfour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
derbyfour Posted 1 Dec 2013 , 9:10pm
post #459 of 797

Hello,

I know that you sourced some Light Karo.........this is for those who still aren't able to easily access it.

USA foods Downunder as located in Cochranes Road, Moorabbin (Victoria), but they do have a mail order service which I use when I am unable to get down there.  Their  they have a good postage system, keeping you informed of where your order is at.  Postage price is not bad- unless you want priority delivery then you would pay extra for it.

http://www.usafoods.com.au/Contact-Us

The Asian foodstore opposite the organic section at the Victoria market also sell Karo light and dark syrup.  It is cheap too so I stock up when I see it.

Never managed to find any at Costco though........................

derbyfour Posted 1 Dec 2013 , 9:11pm
post #460 of 797

sorry about the typos......................not watching what I type lol

cazza1 Posted 2 Dec 2013 , 6:49am
post #461 of 797

essentialingredient.com.au also has karo but it is expensive.

Cher2309b Posted 2 Dec 2013 , 9:25am
post #462 of 797

Quote:

essentialingredient.com.au also has karo but it is expensive.

Thanks Cazza; it's actually about $10 less than what I paid. Good to know.

Cher2309b Posted 2 Dec 2013 , 9:33am
post #463 of 797

Quote:

Originally Posted by derbyfour 

Hello,

I know that you sourced some Light Karo.........this is for those who still aren't able to easily access it.

USA foods Downunder as located in Cochranes Road, Moorabbin (Victoria), but they do have a mail order service which I use when I am unable to get down there.  Their  they have a good postage system, keeping you informed of where your order is at.  Postage price is not bad- unless you want priority delivery then you would pay extra for it.

http://www.usafoods.com.au/Contact-Us

The Asian foodstore opposite the organic section at the Victoria market also sell Karo light and dark syrup.  It is cheap too so I stock up when I see it.

Never managed to find any at Costco though........................

Hi Derbyfour.

Wow! That is one quarter of the price I paid. Thank you very much.

cazza1 Posted 2 Dec 2013 , 12:41pm
post #464 of 797

Wuss, Gails.  Where's the fun in not sticking to the icing as you are trying to shape it. How will you get your swearing practice in. Or having it self destruct and melt into liquid piles at the bottom of your cake (This was new to me when we shifted here as I had come from an exceedingly dry climate).

derbyfour Posted 2 Dec 2013 , 8:21pm
post #465 of 797

Not bad prices.

I can also vouch for their email notification system for when an item is not in stock. I have ordered on line when I get an email that a product is back in.  Then sit nice and comfy waiting for it to arrive and saving myself lots and lots of money on impulse buys if I went to their store....  lol

Cher2309b Posted 2 Dec 2013 , 10:46pm
post #466 of 797

Quote:

Originally Posted by derbyfour 

Not bad prices.

I can also vouch for their email notification system for when an item is not in stock. I have ordered on line when I get an email that a product is back in.  Then sit nice and comfy waiting for it to arrive and saving myself lots and lots of money on impulse buys if I went to their store....  lol

You're converting me derbyfour. I've requested "back in stock" notification on a number of online shopping sites and have never received one. 

I've also noticed that Crisco is $6.49 for a pound at USAFoods Downunder - another hard-to-find product in Australia, usually commanding an exorbitant price.

Thank you. All the best,

Cher

cbeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cbeg Posted 2 Dec 2013 , 11:06pm
post #467 of 797

AHi fellow bakers,

Quick question (which may sound silly), Im making SMBC and I was wondering I need to make 2 batches of one being red colour and the other green colour, for cupcake decorating, can I add the food colouring in at the end when I'm finished or does it have to be during the mixing process?

Thank you

:) Cbeg

Cher2309b Posted 2 Dec 2013 , 11:23pm
post #468 of 797

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbeg 

Hi fellow bakers,

Quick question (which may sound silly), Im making SMBC and I was wondering I need to make 2 batches of one being red colour and the other green colour, for cupcake decorating, can I add the food colouring in at the end when I'm finished or does it have to be during the mixing process?

Thank you

icon_smile.gif
Cbeg

Hi there. I'm sure you could mix the colours afterwards; just make sure you mix them in really well. I'd be inclined to take out half of the icing as soon as it's finished and beat in one colour, clean up the mixer and do the same with the second batch. Good luck.

cbeg Posted 2 Dec 2013 , 11:25pm
post #469 of 797

A

Original message sent by Cher2309b

Hi there. I'm sure you could mix the colours afterwards; just make sure you mix them in really well. I'd be inclined to take out half of the icing as soon as it's finished and beat in one colour, clean up the mixer and do the same with the second batch. Good luck.

Will do, thanks heaps for that :)

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 2 Dec 2013 , 11:30pm
post #470 of 797

Sometimes, you'll need a ton of color to get it dark. You might have trouble with the red especially, depending on what kind of color brand you're using. Here are some links I have about coloring SMBC. I've colored IMBC (about the same thing) to dark blues, at the end of the mixing, but I've needed to do it slowly because it kind of gets watery sometimes. Some people think it's best to add color before you add the butter.

http://cakecentral.com/t/739227/coloring-smbc-and-imbc

http://cakecentral.com/t/755113/coloring-smbc

http://fromscratchsf.wordpress.com/2011/03/08/tutorial-swiss-meringue-buttercream/
READ Madhulika Dev comment

http://fromscratchsf.wordpress.com/2011/08/02/more-about-swiss-meringue-buttercream-like-my-other-post-wasnt-long-enough-i-had-to-go-write-another-epic-post/

Maybe someone else will come with more advice.

Cher2309b Posted 2 Dec 2013 , 11:40pm
post #471 of 797

Quote:

Originally Posted by imagenthatnj 

Sometimes, you'll need a ton of color to get it dark. You might have trouble with the red especially, depending on what kind of color brand you're using. Here are some links I have about coloring SMBC. I've colored IMBC (about the same thing) to dark blues, at the end of the mixing, but I've needed to do it slowly because it kind of gets watery sometimes. Some people think it's best to add color before you add the butter.

http://cakecentral.com/t/739227/coloring-smbc-and-imbc

http://cakecentral.com/t/755113/coloring-smbc

http://fromscratchsf.wordpress.com/2011/03/08/tutorial-swiss-meringue-buttercream/
READ Madhulika Dev comment

http://fromscratchsf.wordpress.com/2011/08/02/more-about-swiss-meringue-buttercream-like-my-other-post-wasnt-long-enough-i-had-to-go-write-another-epic-post/

Maybe someone else will come with more advice.

Woops ... Please ignore my reply; the above links appear to provide far more wisdom.

cbeg Posted 3 Dec 2013 , 1:24am
post #472 of 797

AThanks heaps imagenthatnj, very helpful links, plus I bought Americolor colouring the other day without thinking if it would work and I red in the links you put up, that's what they used and it seemed to work, so I'll try and experiment and we shall see, I'll keep you posted

Thanks again

:)

Gails Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gails Posted 3 Dec 2013 , 2:38am
post #473 of 797

A

Original message sent by cazza1

Wuss, Gails.  Where's the fun in not sticking to the icing as you are trying to shape it. How will you get your swearing practice in. Or having it self destruct and melt into liquid piles at the bottom of your cake (This was new to me when we shifted here as I had come from an exceedingly dry climate).

Maybe thats why he's getting me one, he's heard just about every expletive there is and more, and fed up with my very angry face!

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 3 Dec 2013 , 4:29am
post #474 of 797

AYou're welcome. I do think there's an oil-based Americolor that's better.

http://www.globalsugarart.com/red-oil-based-candy-color-ounces-by-americolor-p-24009.html

I never got to buy and use those since lately I just make the ocassional cupcakes. But if you ever see those, buy one or two because oil-based will be better for your SMBC. I think the regular Americolor are water-based and they will work, but you might have to add them before the butter. I hope it all works for you.

cbeg Posted 3 Dec 2013 , 4:39am
post #475 of 797

Will do. I`ll go buy some oil-based ones and use the other Americolor ones for colouring the mixture of the cakes and cupcakes. I just dont want to stuff up the icing and then it falls all over the place, as i have experienced before and it was not good lol 

:) 

nouha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nouha Posted 3 Dec 2013 , 8:51pm
post #476 of 797

AThanx derbyfour, I ended up messaging the company and they sent me instructions.

cazza1 Posted 12 Jan 2014 , 6:42am
post #477 of 797

Happy New Year everyone.  Hope it's going better than mine.  Needed to have a whinge and where better than here, especially as I was turning green thinking about Gails and her new dehumidifier.  Have had a stressful few weeks and as hubby is away for the weekend I thought I would put everything out of my mind and play with icing.  Well the temp hit 47.8C yesterday so after 1 round of petals on 3 practice roses I gave up.  I then made Chelle's passionfruit mudcake recipe (Delicious- I've been eating the trimmings) and made the white ganache so that it would set up overnight.  Well this morning when I tried to ganache the cake it just ran straight off and my filled 4 one inch layers became a leaning tower of piza.  With the help of the fridge I got it straightened and finally got a reasonably smooth layer of ganache on and let it set.  I rolled together all my left over bits of blue fondant from last year and rolled it on in 'The Mat'.  Well no sooner had I peeled the mat away than the fondant started to sweat like mad.  By the time I had eased it down the 5 inch sides of my 6 inch cake it was dripping.  Fortunately it went on reasonably smoothly because all it did was stick to the smoother.  I gave up the idea of any smoothing extremely quickly. (It is only 32C with 61% humidity so I thought it would be fine).  I have left it on the table and am hoping that it will dry out somewhat overnight as I was hoping to play with one of my new onlays.  Any suggestions on how to dry it out gladly accepted (apart from turning the air conditioner on).  Would a fan blowing on it for an hour or so help, do you think?

Bluehue Posted 12 Jan 2014 , 7:30am
post #478 of 797

Sorry to hear of your stressful few weeks cazza... hopefully the rest of 2014 will brighten up for you :)

Certainly - turn your fan on and place you cake in line of the breeze and it will start to dry out in no time...the fan doesn't have to be on *the gale force* setting - lolll

I have ceiling fans and when it gets to hot (like yesterday and today 40+) thats what i do.

Leave my cakes under the ceiling fans  and it works a treat for me.... great for drying the fondant covered boards in a hurry too   ;)

Bluehue

cazza1 Posted 12 Jan 2014 , 7:44am
post #479 of 797

Thanks Bluehue.  2014 is not shaping up to be one of our better years and there is no relief in the immediate future but we are strong and will get through it.  Quality caking time will make all the difference to me. Helps distract from things that you cannot do anything about except weather the storm and handhold. I will leave the cake by the open side door for now and if it is still sticky in the morning I will put a fan on it so I can play with it in the afternoon.  It has a few airbubbles and tiny creases but between the colour and the onlays I am sure that they will not be too noticable.  And I'm only doing it for myself anyway.  At least now I know what to do in the future if I am being impatient or if I have the type of cake that will not stay fresh.

Bluehue Posted 12 Jan 2014 , 8:15am
post #480 of 797

Quote:

Thanks Bluehue. You are most welcome :)

2014 is not shaping up to be one of our better years and there is no relief in the immediate future but we are strong and will get through it.  Quality caking time will make all the difference to me. Helps distract from things that you cannot do anything about except weather the storm and handhold.  Its very difficult isn't it when you know what lies ahead and you have no control to change it - for the last four years we have made mercy dash after mercy dash to the eastern states re family members whose health will never be even 50% right.... and altho i don't know your exact circumstances, you do just what you said in this post - you handhold and find comfort in those  who love you.    I will leave the cake by the open side door for now and if it is still sticky in the morning I will put a fan on it so I can play with it in the afternoon.  It has a few airbubbles and tiny creases but between the colour and the onlays I am sure that they will not be too noticable. I think it might have been from Cake Around Town - but i bought a pack of the acupuncture needles that are in sterilized packs and i use them to get rid of any air bubbles - they are so fine they hardly leave a mark.... just thought i would mention it for you or anyone else who finds the annoying little bubble  And I'm only doing it for myself anyway.  At least now I know what to do in the future if I am being impatient or if I have the type of cake that will not stay fresh.  I have a Red Lego Block Cake this week to do - not a fan of red at the best of times - lolll.  So come tomorrow it is back to work for me - as i took one month off to have a good break and spend time with family.  Ita been bliss  reorganizing my Caking room - stocking up on supplies and just having time out in general.... think i gained 2 kilo lolllllllllll - no doubt from being relaxed, enjoying life and not going to bed as the sun comes up :)  No doubt those 2 kilo will fall off now that my caking life begins again lolllllllllllllllllllllllll       Do take care and happy caking to you ......Bluehue

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%