Floating Cake Balls/cake Hearts

Decorating By DeniseNH Updated 14 Mar 2013 , 3:11am by DeniseNH

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 13 Mar 2013 , 11:31pm
post #1 of 7

For those of you who have tried cakes within a cake - in other words, prebaked cake hearts, circles, etc, inserted into an unbaked cake - how do you keep the baked cutouts from levitating to the top of the pan.  When this happens, you remove the cake from the oven and level off the hump, thereby cutting off the bottom of your hearts.  Just tried this idea on a shower cake and love it but ended up with the bottom tips of my hearts cut off.  Next time I'll try it with less batter covering the hearts and will turn the temp down in my oven to prevent a hump.  Any other ideas?

6 replies
Cakemommy2012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakemommy2012 Posted 13 Mar 2013 , 11:53pm
post #2 of 7

I make sure the cake or cake balls I put in the cake are completly frozen first.  It one--makes sure the cake doesn't over bake and become dry and two--being frozen makes it heavy enough to stay on the bottom when baked.  Hope that helps!  =-)

DeniseNH Posted 14 Mar 2013 , 12:55am
post #3 of 7

Freezing!!!!!!!  Wow, I never thought of that.  Will let the ladies in my cake group know.  Thanks.

Cakemommy2012 Posted 14 Mar 2013 , 1:08am
post #4 of 7

Freezing helps as the cake inside is already cooked and can dry out when recooked---if its frozen the cake will thaw as the other cake cooks!  =-)

Cakemommy2012 Posted 14 Mar 2013 , 1:09am
post #5 of 7

Glad to be able to help someone!  =-)

crustdust Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crustdust Posted 14 Mar 2013 , 1:41am
post #6 of 7

AOh that's a fantastic Idea! I saw our local Aldi has a cake pop pan on sale this Sunday. I might just pick one up

DeniseNH Posted 14 Mar 2013 , 3:11am
post #7 of 7

There's two kinds of cake pops.  One that used cake crumbs mixed with icing then cooled and formed into balls.  And the one I tried this weekend was made by pouring one tablespoon full of batter into the pop maker.  If you get one drop less you end up with a ball shape on the bottom and cone shape on top.  Too much and you end up with a batter halo around each pop that you need to cut away with scissors.  Next time I'm going to try the cake crumbs recipe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%