SugarBeBe Posted 25 Jan 2013 , 6:16pm
post #1 of

AHi all!

I'm new to posting, but have lurked for a long time. I have a couple questions regarding 2 tier fondant cakes (I'm a newbie!)

When making a two tier cake are both tiers two layers or is it one layer cut in half? Meaning is the bottom two baked cakes and the top two baked cakes? Or is the bottom and top one just halved?

Also, which is more customary? The bottom 12' and the top 8'? Or 10' and 8'?

Thanks!!

21 replies
-K8memphis Posted 25 Jan 2013 , 6:31pm
post #2 of

hey SugarBeBe

 

 

the layering--typically in the u.s. it's two baked cakes to make one tier

 

then each of those lyers in the tier can be torted to make it look like 4 layers in each tier

 

just an individual choice

 

if you mean non-american customs i'm not it

 

 

 

twelve feet cakes have never been icon_lol.gif customary

 

yes and this from the typo queen--sorry couldn't help myself

 

(spell check is my friend!!! don't mind me ;)

 

but there is no customary for cake sizes

 

oh you mean the graduation between tiers 2 inch or 4 inch?

 

not to be difficult but i like the 3 inch difference best myself

 

that is also just a personal preference

 

the four inch difference is rarer, more rare, less used nowadays than it once was --i'll grant you that though

SugarBeBe Posted 25 Jan 2013 , 6:43pm
post #3 of

AThank you!!

Haha total brain fart! I meant " instead of '

A 12 foot cake would be quite difficult I'd imagine lol.

KoryAK Posted 25 Jan 2013 , 6:53pm
post #4 of

You can make your cake any size you like to fit the look and servings you need but I would say 6" is the "standard" size for a top tier.

-K8memphis Posted 25 Jan 2013 , 7:30pm
post #5 of

i've worked for people who hated sixes because they reminded them of toilet tissue rolls

 

and some people hate them because they are hard for them to ice

 

sixes are very commonly used as top tiers of course

 

eights were more used in my earlier career due to the big flooflooey cake toppers that were common then

 

and eights are also a good choice when super large tiers are in play--if you end with a glorified cupcake on top of an eighteen or twenty inch base it kinda gets a little pointy headed whispy looking up there

 

there used to be a big presence of sheet cake dislikers who were adamantly against sheet cakes

 

it's very curious to have cake sizes be so provocative (not in this thread)

Annabakescakes Posted 25 Jan 2013 , 7:37pm
post #6 of

AI don't like the squatty look of a cake, unless it has a large topper that draws the eye up. I have seen some that are too broad on top, and I just don't like it. A 6" is nice, unless there is a 10" under it. I don't like the 4" difference, at all... Maybe if there is a bunch of flowers?

-K8memphis Posted 25 Jan 2013 , 7:54pm
post #7 of

i think we can all agree that squatty cakes are not our goal

 

but it's surprising to me that some of us think that all 8" top tiers are automatically squatastic

 

that six inch cakes belong in the john

 

that sheet cakes are sheetee

 

i'm not into the 4inch difference anymore either but i've been doing this for about 40 years and things evolve and change huh

 

and sometimes you need a four inch difference for whatever reason

 

'mid century modern' style furniture & decor is boring old sheet to me but my kids love it

 

whereas mid-century modern cakes--agh no --has definitely not come 'back in'

 

it's all personal preference some of it very passionate personal preference

AZCouture Posted 25 Jan 2013 , 8:25pm
post #8 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by -K8memphis 

it's very curious to have cake sizes be so provocative (not in this thread)

 

K8, 

 

whatever you say.

 

You wanna stick an 8" on top and admire

 

all the wide open space

 

by all means do so and have fun.

 

The suggestion to not do so is not provocative, it is sensible 

 

and appropriate.

-K8memphis Posted 25 Jan 2013 , 8:27pm
post #9 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCouture 

 

K8, 

 

whatever you say.

 

You wanna stick an 8" on top and admire

 

all the wide open space

 

by all means do so and have fun.

 

The suggestion to not do so is not provocative, it is sensible 

 

and appropriate.

 

 

thank you for helping to prove my point, AZCouture

 

just say no to eight inch top tiers, six inch top tiers and sheet cakes  as they are not deemed apropos by some

 

icon_biggrin.gif

JimmyBoombats Posted 25 Jan 2013 , 8:32pm

Now every time I see a 6 on top I am going to think of toilet paper, LOL.
 

AZCouture Posted 25 Jan 2013 , 8:46pm

I suppose there are some people who never think they are never appropriate, don't recall anyone in here saying that or the other thread that you refer to. icon_rolleyes.gif

Annabakescakes Posted 25 Jan 2013 , 8:51pm

A

Original message sent by -K8memphis

i think we can all agree that squatty cakes are not our goal

but it's surprising to me that some of us think that all 8" top tiers are automatically squatastic

that six inch cakes belong in the john

that sheet cakes are sheetee

i'm not into the 4inch difference anymore either but i've been doing this for about 40 years and things evolve and change huh

and sometimes you need a four inch difference for whatever reason

'mid century modern' style furniture & decor is boring old sheet to me but my kids love it

whereas mid-century modern cakes--agh no --has definitely not come 'back in'

it's all personal preference some of it very passionate personal preference

Absolutely! Sounds like ikea furniture. Bleh. I miss piping on cakes though. I think a 16,14,12,10,8 doesn't look squatty , but I prefer that 6" on top, too much open space if it isn't there :-) and while I can certainly see the toilet paper comparison, I never think it when I make one, and I am always making 6" cakes. I have about 8 6" pans, I make several, weekly and never think about it.

Sheet cakes are totally sheetee, unless you happen to be Than than (?) the goddess of the sheet cake, and I dread everyone I do!

kellertur Posted 26 Jan 2013 , 12:18am

6" top tiers remind you of toilet paper?  What?  I can see MAYBE a 4", but 6"?  Where are you buying your toilet tissue???  Giants -R- US?    I just measured ours and the SUPER is just over 4 1/2".

-K8memphis Posted 26 Jan 2013 , 12:38am
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellertur 

6" top tiers remind you of toilet paper?  What?  I can see MAYBE a 4", but 6"?  Where are you buying your toilet tissue???  Giants -R- US?    I just measured ours and the SUPER is just over 4 1/2".

 

 

a few things

 

  1. they remind me of people i worked for that thought that
  2. just like cake mixes are two ounces smaller and sugar bags have lost a pound--tp is smaller now too
  3. they never were the exact same size
  4. if you placed a white iced sixer in the middle of a ten foot banquet table times how many tables in the room...they sure do!!!  
  5. i don't know where my husband buys the tp  icon_lol.gif
costumeczar Posted 26 Jan 2013 , 2:06pm

A

Original message sent by kellertur

6" top tiers remind you of toilet paper?  What?  I can see MAYBE a 4", but 6"?  Where are you buying your toilet tissue???  Giants -R- US?    I just measured ours and the SUPER is just over 4 1/2".

Yeah, I want to go buy those 6" rolls, maybe we wouldn't run out so fast considering that I seem to be the only person in my household who knows how to change the roll. I essayed this topic and my extensive toilet paper research agrees with your 4" assessment. I warn people about it if they want to leave a 4" top tier completely white, because even if they didn't notice it someone else would, and they'd be making fun of her toilet paper cake at her wedding. Not cool. http://acaketorememberva.blogspot.com/2012/10/top-tier-or-toilet-paper-get-over-it.html?m=1

-K8memphis Posted 26 Jan 2013 , 2:21pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar 


Yeah, I want to go buy those 6" rolls, maybe we wouldn't run out so fast considering that I seem to be the only person in my household who knows how to change the roll. I essayed this topic and my extensive toilet paper research agrees with your 4" assessment. I warn people about it if they want to leave a 4" top tier completely white, because even if they didn't notice it someone else would, and they'd be making fun of her toilet paper cake at her wedding. Not cool. http://acaketorememberva.blogspot.com/2012/10/top-tier-or-toilet-paper-get-over-it.html?m=1

 

 

oh man, that was so funny!!!! awesome blog post

 

the passing of the baton here folks, history is being made

 

the six inch cake is officially wiped out as the reigning world's champion toilet paper roll look alike

 

and the four inch cake change is being rolled out across the land and other parts

 

icon_lol.gif

Annabakescakes Posted 26 Jan 2013 , 3:48pm

A

Original message sent by costumeczar

Yeah, I want to go buy those 6" rolls, maybe we wouldn't run out so fast considering that I seem to be the only person in my household who knows how to change the roll. I essayed this topic and my extensive toilet paper research agrees with your 4" assessment. I warn people about it if they want to leave a 4" top tier completely white, because even if they didn't notice it someone else would, and they'd be making fun of her toilet paper cake at her wedding. Not cool. http://acaketorememberva.blogspot.com/2012/10/top-tier-or-toilet-paper-get-over-it.html?m=1

Why is it that it seems to take the woman of the house to change the roll, you suppose? We have 2 bathrooms on our main floor and one in the basement and I swear that every other time I sit down, I get the last 2 squares, or the empty roll. It is so irritating for weeks at a time, then I will accept it for a while and it will be less irritating, but it is always the case, except for the occasion when I go in and the new roll is sitting on the sink, back of the toilet, or floor!

And I hate icing 4" tiers. I keep pushing them over with the spatula. The only way I can make it work is when I skewer it to a dummy, but it still flops up and down while I ice it.

-K8memphis Posted 26 Jan 2013 , 4:20pm

Anna, i sit small tiers on a nubbley bit of shelf liner --then pipe the icing on--just go 'round & 'round

 

just a thought

Chris449842 Posted 26 Jan 2013 , 4:44pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes 


Why is it that it seems to take the woman of the house to change the roll, you suppose? We have 2 bathrooms on our main floor and one in the basement and I swear that every other time I sit down, I get the last 2 squares, or the empty roll. It is so irritating for weeks at a time, then I will accept it for a while and it will be less irritating, but it is always the case, except for the occasion when I go in and the new roll is sitting on the sink, back of the toilet, or floor!

And I hate icing 4" tiers. I keep pushing them over with the spatula. The only way I can make it work is when I skewer it to a dummy, but it still flops up and down while I ice it.


Lol am sat here laughing, i thought i was only one on this planet that it happened to, lol every single time i go to loo, i have to go to cupboard open a pack, take off empty roll, and fit new one,  always me lol so glad am not the only one xxx

DeniseNH Posted 26 Jan 2013 , 4:58pm

I think there's a simple answer to all of the above:  "It Depends".  It depends on a lot of things - how large the decorations or flowers are on the sides of your cake - you might needs more or less room.  And I vote for the 6" top tier - like I said, it all depends.............and if you wear Depends, you won't need the toilet paper.  :-)

 

Wait till our Europ counterparts read this, they don't get it.  Sitting here laughing....................................while waiting to deliver a wedding cake....................another birch bark..............................that is one design that just won't die.

Annabakescakes Posted 26 Jan 2013 , 7:40pm

A

Original message sent by Chris449842

Lol am sat here laughing, i thought i was only one on this planet that it happened to, lol every single time i go to loo, i have to go to cupboard open a pack, take off empty roll, and fit new one,  always me lol so glad am not the only one xxx

Haha! Years ago, for some reason it seamed to be my husband it would happen to, so I would go in after him and have to take the roll off, and turn it around the proper way. That is quite irritating as well! But it must be something special about us ;-) I try to just embrace it, because if it wasn't me fixing it each time, it would either be backward or all wet and wrinkled from it landing in the sink or getting splattered by the water when others wash up. At least it is protected when I put it on the roller.

costumeczar Posted 26 Jan 2013 , 9:22pm

A

Original message sent by Annabakescakes

Haha! Years ago, for some reason it seamed to be my husband it would happen to, so I would go in after him and have to take the roll off, and turn it around the proper way. That is quite irritating as well! But it must be something special about us ;-) I try to just embrace it, because if it wasn't me fixing it each time, it would either be backward or all wet and wrinkled from it landing in the sink or getting splattered by the water when others wash up. At least it is protected when I put it on the roller.

Uhoh, are we going to get into a debate about which way is the right way to hang it now? I don't care which way it goes as long as I don't get stuck without any when I need it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%