Fridge, Freezer Or Counter Top?

Decorating By Sarin Updated 6 Jan 2013 , 4:03am by lorieleann

Sarin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sarin Posted 5 Jan 2013 , 8:49pm
post #1 of 6

Hi,

I have a cake that I just finished crumb coating. I am now waiting to make my fondant. What do you guys do while preparing fondant?

Put it in the freezer, fridge or leave on your counter top?

5 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 5 Jan 2013 , 9:02pm
post #2 of 6

all us guys do all those methods

icon_biggrin.gif

after icing i would frige mine then fondant

mjtames123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjtames123 Posted 6 Jan 2013 , 12:17am
post #3 of 6

I place mine in the frige after the crumb coat. Then when I am ready to aplly the fondant I will add a very thin layer of buttercrem so that my fondant will attach too. This also allows you to "smooth" out any imprefections (bumps, lumps, etc.) Best of luck!

Sarin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sarin Posted 6 Jan 2013 , 2:24am
post #4 of 6

Great thanks! How about a finished cake with fondant? It's all done and it is hiding in a clean cupboard right now. Where do you guys store your finished fondant cakes? In the fridge, or on the counter?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 6 Jan 2013 , 2:36am
post #5 of 6

A crumb coating does NOT need to be 'frig'ed.  It is best to let it sit at room temp.  Same with a finsihed cake.  In fact, the idea of a crumb coat is to seal in loose crumbs so they will not marr your finished icing.  Once you have applied a *very thin* coating of b'cream it should dry in less than 30 minutes. Most of the time - depending on the recipe used - it should be ready for the finished icing in 5 minutes.  When you put a 'crumbed' cake in the frig or fzr you are NOT allowing it to dry so it can become soft and allow crumbs to get into your finished icing :(

When a cake is to be covered in fondant it needs to have a 'wet' coating of something (b'cream usually) to make the fondant stick to the cake.  You can apply more b'cream, spray it lightly w/water, apply a thin coat of piping gel or several other options just before applying the fondant.

lorieleann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorieleann Posted 6 Jan 2013 , 4:03am
post #6 of 6

AI won't say that there is one rule of how it should be done: room temp, fridge, or freezer becaue it all has to do with your climate ( temp and humidity), your fridge/freezer humidity, and the type of cake and frosting you are using. Also, room temp to one person in texas is something totally different to a person in london. After quite a bit of experimenting and research on how others do it, I work very closely wiht my cake fridge. I am in a hot, bone dry arid dessert area, so I don't have the problem with much condensation going in and out of the the fridge. I also prefer to have my cakes very hard for crisp edges... And I just don't know how to get and keep sharp edges on a room temp cake. I even work with the freezer to fast chill a buttercream or ganache when needed. Before I do any heavy chilling on my cakes, I have filled and weighted them to settle so that I know that I am not trapping any air bubble under a hard chille shell. And after a cake is finished, it is boxed and chilled overnight so that it is delivered firm and cold.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%